Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
eerik

Re: Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1826 Post by eerik » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:27 pm

I would assume it's the same 2016 restoration. Probably with a new HDR grading, so they could have revised it.

Calvin

#1827 Post by Calvin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:30 pm

Fingers crossed for a David Mackenzie encode as well

hearthesilence

#1828 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:30 pm

eerik wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:27 pm
I would assume it's the same 2016 restoration. Probably with a new HDR grading, so they could have revised it.
Man, I really, really hope they re-did it and dialed back the god-awful teal...

eerik

#1829 Post by eerik » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:31 pm

Studiocanal Cinema Club have released a new Catalogue 2021 trailer, which lists the following re-releases as coming soon:
Terminator 2
Paris Frills
Mr Klein
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Great Flamarion
Peeping Tom
The Howling
Near Dark
Coup de torchon
Basic Instinct
Bridget Jones's Diary
Mandabi
Carnal Knowledge
The Outsiders
The Servant
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

rapta

#1830 Post by rapta » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:40 pm

eerik wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:31 pm
Studiocanal Cinema Club have released a new Catalogue 2021 trailer, which lists the following re-releases as coming soon:
Terminator 2
Paris Frills
Mr Klein
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Great Flamarion
Peeping Tom
The Howling
Near Dark
Coup de torchon
Basic Instinct
Bridget Jones's Diary
Mandabi
Carnal Knowledge
The Outsiders
The Servant
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
I imagine The Howling is just a 4K release as they didn't release the Blu-ray that long ago. Peeping Tom, Near Dark, The Outsiders and The Servant are going to be new scans I'm guessing (and Terminator 2, as I imagine they decided to re-do it?). Mandabi and Basic Instinct have already been announced. Ghost Dog might not be in the UK as it was previously Film4, but I'd be happy whoever released it here (it's a favourite of mine).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1831 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:02 pm

It's a mix of everything that also includes simple theatrical re-releases.
The Howling is supposedly getting a new makeover, we already know Mandabi has been restored in 4k, but Bridget Jones and Terminator 2 are just going to be re-releases with no new technical work.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1832 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Well that's a missed opportunity because T2 has notoriously been poorly served on disc

hearthesilence

#1833 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:12 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:05 pm
Well that's a missed opportunity because T2 has notoriously been poorly served on disc
That's kind of astonishing - I actually remember when one of the LaserDisc sets was considered a crown jewel for any home theater owner, but of course that was over 20 years ago.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1834 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:30 am

swo17 wrote:Well that's a missed opportunity because T2 has notoriously been poorly served on disc
The person at Studio Canal who attended Lyon Film Festival last year said it's known "The Howling really needs to be restored", but nothing about T2. My guess is that FWIW, it's a recent 4k restoration supposedly approved by Cameron so people think the job was done, even if it's actually awful. Some consumers defending this crap doesnt help though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1835 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:37 am

Of course it's Cameron-approved, because he Wongkarwhyd it

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1836 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:08 am

Would be great I Indicator could snap up the Loseys for the UK. Or perhaps it don't work like that.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1837 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:01 pm

swo17 wrote:Of course it's Cameron-approved, because he Wongkarwhyd it
I believe I have yet to see concrete proof he's the main responsible for the final color grading and for the atrocious digital botched job. Titanic 3D (despite being a 3D conversion), Aliens (despite being officially grain managed by Cameron) and Terminator 1 (not sure for this one if we know Cameron's involvement in the restoration process) don't show this kind of awful result.
T2's awful new grading also runs opposite to Cameron's supposedly notorious perfectionism since it's not even consistent from shot to shot in the new remaster. There's also the question about why he would accept now for the extended versions to be branched from obvisouly disparate sources while he specifically wanted for the older HD master the extra scenes to be restored like the TC to have a seamless presentation.

On the other hand, Studio Canal are known to botch some of their restorations, like it was for Peeping Tom, Don't Look Now and Purple Noon (Purple Noon also having an obviously problematic color grading).

Adam X

#1838 Post by Adam X » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:12 pm

My memory of The Terminator’s BD was the image was fine (even if the blues leaned a little too much toward teal). For the first film it was the sound that ruined the release, due to only including the horribly revisionist surround mix with replaced sound fx. It’ll be a real shame if they just re-use the current T2 master, there’s proably not been a really good edition of it since the Skynet DVD.

dwk

#1839 Post by dwk » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Lionsgate's Terminator 2 Blu-ray from 2015 is probably the best version available right now. It isn't great, but it appears to be the same master as the "Skynet Edition" edition with less DNR.

Adam X

#1840 Post by Adam X » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:21 pm

Yeah, I was thinking of getting that sometime before it vanishes. It just feels like such a sadly incremental improvement over the Skynet BD edition, considering a far more recent ‘restoration’ exists.

The DVD release still feels like the last time the film was truly released with care, rather than a perpetual money maker for Lionsgate.

dwk

#1841 Post by dwk » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 pm

You are not wrong.

I only had the DVD special edition with the metal slipcover, which I'm pretty sure I sold a long time ago (either that or I lost it, as I can't find it), so I was without a copy of T2. I ended up buying the 2015 Blu-ray a couple years back from Target when they had a $5 Blu-ray section to replace the missing/sold DVD.

FrauBlucher

#1842 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Ran 4k release Studio Canal
Special Features and Technical Specs:
PREVIOUSLY RESTORED IN 4K
A.K. - Feature length documentary on Akira Kurosawa by Chris Marker
Interview with director of photography Shoji Ueda
Interview with Meiko Harada
Interview with author/journalist Michael Brooke
Stage appearance at the Tokyo International Film Festical 2015
Ran: The Restoration - Featurette
Optional English subtitles for the main feature

eerik

#1843 Post by eerik » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:21 pm

The Servant is getting a 4K UHD Blu-ray release in September. Pre-order up on Amazon France.

tolbs1010

#1844 Post by tolbs1010 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:49 pm

eerik wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:21 pm
The Servant is getting a 4K UHD Blu-ray release in September. Pre-order up on Amazon France.
This makes my day. Was hoping Criterion would release this film as Losey's entry into the Collection, but a 4k from Studio Canal is even better.

M Sanderson

#1845 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:07 am

I remember buying their Howling Blu ray a few years ago, which touted a fresh scan / new restoration on the packaging but which was the same aged master used by Shout Factory. 4k would be appropriate & a fitting upgrade.

Very excited for Mr Klein B-R, hope and expect The Servant to be 4k in the U.K.; Near Dark & Brotherhood of the Wolf B-Rs are most welcome; no expectations whatsoever for T2, whose original look should be respected.

eerik

#1846 Post by eerik » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 am

Mr. Klein also out in September, but looks like only a 1080p Blu-ray, not 4K.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1847 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:52 am

Blu-ray only, but a collector release most likely with a big book like our French release of Le trou.

M Sanderson

#1848 Post by M Sanderson » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:57 am

I’ll definitely take more Losey on Blu-ray.

Would love to see his A Doll’s House get an upgrade as well. Not sure whom the rights are with. There was a very good dvd back in the day.

ethel

#1849 Post by ethel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:06 am

Before we get too excited about The Servant upgrade, we should note that the Amazon France listing says "Couleur, Cinemascope". Losey fanciers will know both of these are wrong.

There's also no detail whatsoever about the "bonus" Blu-ray, which may also be in the realm of fantasy. (Why would a release of The Servant plus features need two Blu-rays?)

Knowing they can't even get this right, I'll be waiting for the reviews.

Loseyphiles have long been more visible in France than in Loseyphobic US and UK, so I suppose we have only ourselves to blame...

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1850 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:41 am

As Tenia mentioned if Le Trou is any measure of this release (and it is after all in the same series of Collector's Edition) the bountiful supplements are on their own Blu so 2 x Blu-ray discs is feasible.
Re format and colour that's another kettle of rotting fish