Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1851 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:20 am

I was talking about Mr Klein and its 50€ release.
However, SC has been known for putting 2 poorly used BDs instead of properly using 1 BD-50 disc space so it could very well be that The Servant will be 1 UHD + 2 BD like the Carpenters were.

eerik

#1852 Post by eerik » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 am

Another one for September: The Howling 4K UHD pre-order up on EzyDVD (Australa).

Aunt Peg

#1853 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:00 am

Australia is also getting The Servant on Blu Ray (supposedly remaster) https://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/The-S ... dp/6224202 & Ghost Dog 4K https://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/Ghost ... dp/6224200

Can't help think most of these will turn up in all the markets that Studio Canal has a presence.

yoloswegmaster

#1854 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm

Studiocanal will be releasing a 4K UHD boxset for 'Mulholland Drive'.

eerik

#1855 Post by eerik » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:52 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm
Studiocanal will be releasing a 4K UHD boxset for 'Mulholland Drive'.
Fantastic news. I had hoped that Ran would lead to more previous 4K restorations getting the UHD disc.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1856 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Is it safe to assume David Mackenzie will be involved with this release?

jsteffe

#1857 Post by jsteffe » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:10 pm

RAN is one of my favorite films, but I will wait to see how the UHD grading turns out before buying. The color on the 4K restoration as released on Blu-ray doesn't square with the various 35mm prints I've seen over the years. The teal push often looks downright ugly.

EddieLarkin

#1858 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:30 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:02 pm
Is it safe to assume David Mackenzie will be involved with this release?
I wouldn't say it's safe to assume, as more often than not he does not do the authoring for StudioCanal UHDs (Total Recall and Basic Instinct to name two recent examples of big titles he didn't do), which is a shame because the non-DM authoring SC do is invariably shite.

But he did do the MD Blu-ray, so here's hoping.

nitin

#1859 Post by nitin » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:32 pm

Hoping this eventually also leads to a release of The Man Who Fell to Earth on UHD

M Sanderson

#1860 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:40 am

Heard Brotherhood of the Wolf will get a 4k release in France. Have doubts whether it’d be English friendly, however. And obviously the movie isn’t as big a deal in the U.K. so I’m not hopeful we’d get such a release over here.

colinr0380

#1861 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:54 am

M Sanderson wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:40 am
Heard Brotherhood of the Wolf will get a 4k release in France. Have doubts whether it’d be English friendly, however. And obviously the movie isn’t as big a deal in the U.K. so I’m not hopeful we’d get such a release over here.
Maybe we could cross our fingers for Canada. That's where I got my copy of the three disc DVD edition from back in the day.

I really wish that Christophe Gans would get some love from the UK boutique labels. Something like his live action version of Crying Freeman (also starring Mark Dacascos) would be a great fit for Arrow, or that H.P. Lovecraft anthology film Necronomicon in which Gans' segment ("The Drowned") was the most atmospheric one. Not to mention Brotherhood of the Wolf of course!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

M Sanderson

#1862 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:42 am

Massive fan of Gans myself.

“The Drowned” is gorgeous Bava-esque horror, just beautifully layered gothic.

Got the Crying Freeman 4k from Germany.

He’s making another Silent Hill film, I believe? Need to grab the Shout Blu-ray of that, by the way.

willoneill

#1863 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:21 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:54 am
Maybe we could cross our fingers for Canada.
Don't hold your breath, things have changed up here. Canadian-specific distributors (eOne, Elevation, Mongrel, etc.) barely release blu-rays of some movies these days, and 4K is almost out of the question. Even for a Canadian film like Possessor, I had to import the 4K from the U.S.

L.A.

#1864 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm

One extra in particular included on the old French Ultimate Edition DVD of Brotherhood of the Wolf that has always interested me is the 1967 film The Beast of the Gevaudan which served as an inspiration for Gans’ film. Too bad Shout! Factory couldn’t get that for their release.

FrauBlucher

#1865 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:29 pm

eerik wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:21 pm
The Servant is getting a 4K UHD Blu-ray release in September. Pre-order up on Amazon France.
UK edition, same release date...

M Sanderson

#1866 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:26 am

Losey in 4k. Good to hear there will be a U.K. edition.

BTW heard their recent release of Murder by Decree was a wasted opportunity as the Blu ray doesn’t use the new scan that they were advertising. SC did the same with The Howling a few years ago.

colinr0380

#1867 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 am

L.A. wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm
One extra in particular included on the old French Ultimate Edition DVD of Brotherhood of the Wolf that has always interested me is the 1967 film The Beast of the Gevaudan which served as an inspiration for Gans’ film. Too bad Shout! Factory couldn’t get that for their release.
That comparison also reminded me that the Canadian three disc edition did not subtitle the two French commentary tracks into English. So there are a lot of pre-existing extras (including that fourth disc of the French DVD with that inspirational film) that could potentially make for an amazing first ever fully English language friendly release of that film, even before the benefits of the UHD upgrade.

yoloswegmaster

#1868 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:50 pm

This brand-new restoration of the César Award-winning political thriller directed by Joseph Losey is starring Alain Delon in a career defining role with a special appearance from Jeanne Moreau. Mr. Klein, with its Kafkaesque focus on the themes of identity and obsession, has become a classic of the doppelgänger paranoia genre and is one of Losey's darkest films.

Paris, January 1942 - art dealer Robert Klein (Alain Delon) is making a killing. For this loyal Frenchman the Nazi occupation is a unique business opportunity. He stands to profit from the Jewish people's misfortune, as they sell their possessions in a hurry to leave the country. But when a Jewish newspaper turns up on Klein's doorstep, his comfortable life begins to unravel. It seems there is another Robert Klein, a suspected Jewish Resistance fighter, who is content to live in the shadows and let his namesake take the fall. As Klein's investigation of his double progresses, the mood shifts from Hitchcock to Kafka and proving his innocence becomes less important than confronting his doppelgänger...
Extras:
Introduction by Jean-Baptiste Thoret
Mr Klein Revisited by Michel Ciment
Interview with Henri Lanoe

hearthesilence

#1869 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:43 am

Is the UHD of Breathless still only available as part of that 50 € box set of "goodies" (as Amazon calls it)? I was hoping they'd release a slimmed down version of the UHD (not the BD) without all the knickknacks.

perkizitore

#1870 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:11 am

I got it for 24 euro during Prime Day, but you are right, there is no other release available yet.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1871 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:58 pm

I believe their pattern is to wait for those to sell out before putting out standard editions

jsteffe

#1872 Post by jsteffe » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Here is the Caps-a-Holic comparison between the StudioCanal Blu-ray and 4K UHD of Kurosawa's RAN, from the same restoration.

I'm not sure what to make of this. If I am seeing things correctly, the 4K is has slightly flatter contrast than the Blu-ray, though obviously it renders the grain and detail better. However, I am not sure how reliable the screencaps are for judging contrast since I assume they would involve mapping an HDR image down to standard dynamic range.

Has anyone seen the actual 4K UHD disc yet?

Clarence

#1873 Post by Clarence » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:16 pm

I just watched the first few minutes of the new UHD Blu-Ray and those caps look pretty spot on IMO.

andyli

#1874 Post by andyli » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Better not use tone-mapped image to judge contrast levels.

kekid

#1875 Post by kekid » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 pm

jsteffe wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 pm
Here is the Caps-a-Holic comparison between the StudioCanal Blu-ray and 4K UHD of Kurosawa's RAN, from the same restoration.

I'm not sure what to make of this. If I am seeing things correctly, the 4K is has slightly flatter contrast than the Blu-ray, though obviously it renders the grain and detail better. However, I am not sure how reliable the screencaps are for judging contrast since I assume they would involve mapping an HDR image down to standard dynamic range.

Has anyone seen the actual 4K UHD disc yet?
I don't know if this is a reasonable request, but I would truly appreciate if someone could give a short tutorial on how to interpret Caps-a-Holic tables and charts. If this better belongs to the "Technical" thread, please feel free to move it there. Thank you.