Second Sight Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
hearthesilence

Re: Second Sight Films (UK)

#576 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:42 am

Adam X wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:19 am
Second Sight wrote:***MARTIN UPDATE***
“Following a lot of discussions and some logistical delays over the past year we finally have more news on Martin. Originally intended as a Blu-ray only release we are now going ahead with a 4K UHD as well. This means going back to the original scan and a new restoration in 4K which will take some time. We hope for a late summer release and will keep you posted. Thanks for everyone’s patience on this one.”
The best sort of delay
EXCELLENT.

I already bought the standard edition of their Dawn of the Dead in UHD - wish I could do the same for Walkabout (I still bought the BD), but at least Martin will be UHD.

Calvin

#577 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 pm

The Babadook Limited Edition 4K / Blu-ray: Pre-Order Available 21st June 2021
Director: Jennifer Kent

Starring: Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman and Hayley McElhinney

Widowed mother Amelia is struggling following the violent death of her husband and her son Samuel’s fears that a monster is coming for them. When a storybook featuring the sinister Mister Babadook appears in their home, Samuel is convinced he is the monstrous creature and Amelia slowly begins to sense a very real ominous presence.

Special Features

Audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
This is my House: a new interview with Actor Essie Davis
The Sister: a new interview with Actor Hayley McElhinney
Don't Let It In: a new interview with Producer Kristina Ceyton
Conjuring Nightmares: a new interview Producer Kristian Moliere
Shaping Darkness: a new interview with Editor Simon Njoo
If It's in a Name or in a Look: a new interview with Production Designer Alex Holmes
The Bookmaker: a new interview with the book designer Alexander Juhasz
Ba-Ba-Ba...Dook!: a new interview with Composer Jed Kurzel
Monster: Jennifer Kent's original short film
They Call Him Mister Babadook: The Making Of
There's No Place Like Home: Creating The House
Special Effects: Stabbing Scene
The Stunts
Illustrating Evil: Creating the Book
English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired
Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Peter Diamond
150 page hardback book with new essays by Anna Bogutskaya, Daniel Bird, Kat Ellinger, Rich Johnson, Jon Towlson and Laura Venning, archive Jennifer Kent interview, stills, behind-the-scenes photos and original illustration concepts for the book
6 collectors' art cards
Catalogue number: 2NDBR4133

Certificate: 15

Region: 4K UHD Region Free / Blu-ray Region B

What A Disgrace

#578 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 pm

Damn, Arrow Video better step up its game.

Calvin

#579 Post by Calvin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm

From David Mackenzie on the Blu-Ray.com forum:
For Babadook, Second Sight and Fidelity discussed this with the film's original post production facility, Kojo. Rather than scaling up the existing 1080p video master, we were able to organise for Kojo to reuse the workflow that they originally designed for the 35mm film-out version (in markets lucky enough to still be experiencing real film projection at the time).

This takes the image as shot from the Arri Alexa camera and scales this up to UHD, eliminating the 1080p step. Of course the camera's imager wasn't capable of 4K, but the master designed for this release makes sure nothing is left on the floor in terms of resolution.

M Sanderson

#580 Post by M Sanderson » Sat May 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Wild rumours on Blu-ray.com forums that SS are releasing The Hitcher. Probably on uhd. Everyone’s gone nuts speculating since the Eric Red announcement of an upcoming Hitcher release.

What A Disgrace

#581 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat May 01, 2021 3:32 pm

I wonder what the chances are of Second Sight going back to some of their older releases, like Assault on Precinct 13. The Re-Animator, or Texas Chain Saw Massacre for UHD release. They're clearly well-hitched to the 4K wagon now, but so far they've dedicated time to the format for films which they acquired only recently.

dwk

#582 Post by dwk » Sat May 01, 2021 4:35 pm

A 4K restoration of Assault on Precinct 13 by Deaf Crocodile (a new company founded by two of the guys behind Cinelicious and Arbelos) is happening right now, so that seems like a possibility.

Calvin

#583 Post by Calvin » Sat May 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Possession is another title that they might revisit - it's recently had a UHD in France, there's supposedly one in the works in the US, and Second Sight's previous release has fallen out of print.

I don't imagine that it'll come out on UHD, but I know they were looking into upgrading their DVD of Christiane F. – Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo at one point. I wouldn't be surprised to see it this year, given that it's the film's 40th anniversary and it has been getting some attention again due to the Amazon Prime series

rapta

#584 Post by rapta » Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:32 pm
I wonder what the chances are of Second Sight going back to some of their older releases, like Assault on Precinct 13. The Re-Animator, or Texas Chain Saw Massacre for UHD release. They're clearly well-hitched to the 4K wagon now, but so far they've dedicated time to the format for films which they acquired only recently.
Didn't Arrow recently have Texas Chain Saw Massacre, at least digitally?
Calvin wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:50 pm
Possession is another title that they might revisit - it's recently had a UHD in France, there's supposedly one in the works in the US, and Second Sight's previous release has fallen out of print.
Would probably double-dip on a new Possession release, even if it was BD-only (I don't have 4K anyway). I imagine they'd give it a new scan of some sort and some more extras I'd imagine.

dwk

#585 Post by dwk » Sat May 01, 2021 5:29 pm

I think Texas Chain Saw Massacre was streaming on Arrow's streaming channel, so I assume it was a limited time streaming license.

Why are people assuming Second Sight have The Hitcher?

yoloswegmaster

#586 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat May 01, 2021 9:30 pm

rapta

#587 Post by rapta » Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am

Confirmed just now by Second Sight that they have The Hitcher, but will be Blu-ray only and not UHD due to the quality of the master (which they're going to restore as best they can). Great news!

PS: They also have The Krays, if people missed that news. I'm hoping for some other surprises later in the year too! Drive 4K is reportedly coming from them at some point, and Martin finally later this year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#588 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm

rapta wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am
Confirmed just now by Second Sight that they have The Hitcher, but will be Blu-ray only and not UHD due to the quality of the master (which they're going to restore as best they can). Great news!
This was teased by someone recently on Twitter, was it for this release? For some reason, I assumed it was coming in the states (where I believe it's still held by WB via HBO)

Adam X

#589 Post by Adam X » Fri May 07, 2021 3:32 am

It was Eric Red who first mentioned it, but without any suggestion of which country or label. The above post from Mike White was what connected it to Second Sight. Seems possible a US release is also forthcoming.

Calvin

#590 Post by Calvin » Fri May 07, 2021 3:41 am

Eric Red has since tweeted specifically about Second Sight so it seems likely that was the release he was referring to in the first place.

Pavel

#591 Post by Pavel » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:14 pm

Second Sight plan to release Swallow

L.A.

#592 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:38 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:06 pm
Lake Mungo Limited Edition available for pre-order. Release date May 31st.
Special Features

• Archive audio commentary by Producer David Rapsey and DoP John Brawley
• New audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Emma Westwood
• Captured Spirits: an interview with DoP John Brawley
• Ghost in the Machine: an interview with Producer David Rapsey
• A Cop and a Friend: an interview with Actors Carole Patullo & James Lawson
• Kindred Spirits: Filmmakers Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead on Lake Mungo
• Hosting Spirits: Filmmaker Rob Savage on Lake Mungo
• Simulacra and Spirits: a video essay by film academic Josh Nelson
• Autopsy of a Family Home: a video essay by filmmaker Joseph Wallace
• Deleted Scenes
• English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired

Limited Edition Contents

• Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Thomas Walker
• 80 page soft cover book with new essays by Sarah Appleton, Simon Fitzjohn, Rich Johnson, Mary Beth McAndrews and Shellie McMurdo; an interview with actor James Lawson by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas; plus rare behind-the-scenes photos courtesy of John Brawley
• 3 art cards with new illustrations by Thomas Walker

Catalogue number: 2NDBR4132

Certificate: 15

Region: Free
DVD Compare.

yoloswegmaster

#594 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:31 pm

In more 4K news today, Second Sight have announced that they will be releasing a 4K UHD of Adam Wingard's 'The Guest'.

Finch

#595 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:52 pm

Oh man, between the CC announcement and this plus Martin 4k from SS next year, it's getting harder to resist the plunge.

nitin

#596 Post by nitin » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 am

It Follows cannot be far behind since they seem to be getting horror/genre titles that Icon previously released in the UK.

Finch

#597 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:16 pm

3 1/2 hour monochrome Director's Cut of Martin has been found.

I didn't even know this had a Director's Cut. I'd honestly be okay if Second Sight delay their release by a few months if they can secure this cut. This would be worth paying 50 quid for, unlike The Guest + Soundtrack CD, and I love The Guest.

L.A.

#598 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:29 pm

DOG SOLDIERS UPDATE!! We've had some delays over the past few months with some logistical / access issues out of our control. We wanted to wait and give this classic the best presentaiton we could. Pleased to say we're back on track and the new 4K restoration will be scheduled for release in the new year. More details and date announcement once work is completed. Thanks for bearing with us!

Finch

#599 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:59 pm

Dog Soldiers 4k restoration work is coming along and they said they plan to release in March/April 2022. Martin 4k is on hold while they see if they can work out a deal with Rubinstein to include the recently resurfaced Director's Cut. And they'll be doing a 4k of Drive.

edit: review of their new Session 9 BD

rapta

#600 Post by rapta » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Drive is great news, as is holding back off the Martin release to see if they can get the DC. Looking forward to both, though hoping they do a regular Blu-ray as well for both (for The Babadook they only did 4K Dual Format initially).

Good to see that they're continuing with Icon licenses, with both Drive and It Follows on the way. Wonder if that will lead to some others eventually? My top choices would be Ghost World, Affliction, Mean Streets, Black Dynamite, The Road, The Loveless and Babylon (not necessarily all 4K or even deluxe packaging, just think most of them deserve an upgrade on UK home video).

I'm sure they'll consider titles with cult appeal such as The Nice Guys, The Box, Cold in July, The Love Witch, Rogue, and definitely The Neon Demon after doing Drive (as well as the My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn documentary, which would be an easy extra for either disc).