Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
goblinfootballs

Re: Cinema Guild

#726 Post by goblinfootballs » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:41 pm

Has anyone received their sale order and/or a shipping confirmation? One reason I ask because the last time I ordered from Cinema Guild they never added the shipping info to the order (it still says processing even though I've received that order, and this was pre-pandemic).

therewillbeblus

#727 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 pm

goblinfootballs wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:41 pm
Has anyone received their sale order and/or a shipping confirmation? One reason I ask because the last time I ordered from Cinema Guild they never added the shipping info to the order (it still says processing even though I've received that order, and this was pre-pandemic).
Nope, I didn't even receive an email confirmation for my order, but when I log into my account online it says "pending." If it's not here by the new year, I'll develop a plan of action.

goblinfootballs

#728 Post by goblinfootballs » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:59 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 pm
goblinfootballs wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:41 pm
Nope, I didn't even receive an email confirmation for my order, but when I log into my account online it says "pending." If it's not here by the new year, I'll develop a plan of action.
Pending is what I meant, not processing. I have an order from February that still says pending even though I received it months ago.

knives

#729 Post by knives » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:59 pm

Nothing here either.

Glowingwabbit

#730 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:21 pm

My order just arrived. Never got any kind of notice which memory serves is quite normal for them during sales.

therewillbeblus

#731 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:29 pm

After Glowingwabbit posted, I figured mine will probably arrive soon as is usually the case between us, and sure enough I just got home from the office to find my order waiting!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#732 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Assuming it was sent via USPS, Informed Delivery is free and will tell you once something is shipped and on its way to you. UPS also has a free service that will alert you too

gubbelsj

#733 Post by gubbelsj » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:09 am

I reached out to Cinema Guild late last week to ask about my sale order. I received a quick response that they were still waiting to receive one of my items ("Still Life") from their shipping partner, and that the order would be shipped out early this week. Still officially listed as "Pending," however.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#734 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:20 am

I just got a delay approval notice from Target for Still Life as well

Adam X

#735 Post by Adam X » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:51 pm

nitin wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:59 am
They do (I am in Melbourne). But you have to email them to place an order and then they send you a payment link. They use tracked shipping only which is about US$5 a title on average.
Thanks so much for that nitin.

Aunt Peg

#736 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:46 pm

I purchased Still Life from Amazon and it is from a company called 'A Big World Pictures Release' as also stated on the web page on The Cinema Guild website. To my horror I discovered that it was a burnt Blu Ray not a pressed one. Anybody know if purchasing a disc directly from The Cinema Guild will result in a pressed or MOD disc?

cinemaguild

#737 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi All,

Catching up on all your messages, our website does not automatically update tracking once it ships out. We can send anyone tracking if you email info at cinemaguild.com - all orders are out from the holiday sale.

We did not produce STILL LIFE on Blu-ray or DVD that is a Big World Pictures release - we offer their product in our home video store - but they are their own company.

Happy to answer any other questions on here.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#738 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:57 pm

cinemaguild -- Any estimated date for a BluRay release of Hong's Woman Who Ran?

cinemaguild

#739 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:57 pm
cinemaguild -- Any estimated date for a BluRay release of Hong's Woman Who Ran?
We are hoping for a theatrical release next year followed by a Blu-ray and DVD soon after - too early to tell right now.

Adam X

#740 Post by Adam X » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:07 am

Am I remembering right that you also have Yourself and Yours on the way?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#741 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Adam X wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:07 am
Am I remembering right that you also have Yourself and Yours on the way?
It actually started its virtual cinema run a while ago and is still available from some venues.

cinemaguild

#742 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Yourself and Yours will be coming to Blu-ray next year.

Adam X

#743 Post by Adam X » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Thankyou both. Looking forward to these. I’ve only recently seen my first of Hong’s films (after having been put off him due to a particular title of an early work), and definitely liked the experience.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#744 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 pm

My copy of Still Life arrived today and to me it looks like a factory pressed disc. How can I confirm it's a BD-R? I have a few BD-Rs and I know you can usually see the burned data underneath onto a dark-colored disc and see nothing like this on this disc. It's actually mistakenly labeled "Region 1" as opposed to "A". I'm actually sort of curious about the specs about the making of this film. It's been about a decade since I last saw this and it absolutely looks like mid-2000s digital video. I know The World was shot at 25fps, but this is presented at 29.97fps. I believe this was shot 1080i on miniDV and the frame rate sort of matches what was typical of the format of the time. I think being spoiled by contemporary digital footage made it sort of a shock to revisit an early HD film, more shocking than even revisiting standard definition miniDV of the era.

hearthesilence

#745 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:59 pm

I'm not too well-versed in this, but are BD-R's generally M-Discs? As much as I'd prefer a pressed disc, at least an M-Disc is supposed to be far more durable since it's basically data literally carved into stone rather than a light and heat sensitive dye.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#746 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:43 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 pm
It's been about a decade since I last saw this and it absolutely looks like mid-2000s digital video. I know The World was shot at 25fps, but this is presented at 29.97fps. I believe this was shot 1080i on miniDV and the frame rate sort of matches what was typical of the format of the time. I think being spoiled by contemporary digital footage made it sort of a shock to revisit an early HD film, more shocking than even revisiting standard definition miniDV of the era.
Still Life was made on the Sony HVR-Z1, which is indeed a 1080i camera using MiniDV cassettes. Specifically it was the Chinese model, which shoots at 50i. Unfortunately 50i isn't an option for U.S. Blu-rays, so it has to be converted. Technically the Z1 is a big step backwards from the camera used on The World—one of the high-end CineAlta cameras also used for stuff like Attack of the Clones and Spy Kids 2—but Still Life grew out of the documentary Dong (and even shares some footage with it), so I suppose it made sense to go with a smaller, more "documentary-style" setup.

whaleallright

#747 Post by whaleallright » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:22 am

I remember the 35mm prints New Yorker created to distribute Still Life, back in 2011 or whatever, looking horrible. I'm not technically savvy enough to understand the details—I'm guessing it's a frame-rate issue—but clearly the digital-to-film transfer was botched, such that every panning shot in particular was an unbearable blur. I can't imagine this Blu-Ray looks any worse!!

RobertB

#748 Post by RobertB » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:21 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 pm
My copy of Still Life arrived today and to me it looks like a factory pressed disc. How can I confirm it's a BD-R?
Does it have the BD logo? It is not legal to use the logo on a burnt disc. I hope some screenshots will be up soon. I have the old BFI DVD. If this an improvement I will get it even if it is burnt.

knives

#749 Post by knives » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:54 pm

Is anyone else still waiting for their packages?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#750 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 pm

Yes, I got a shipping notice about a week ago but nothing's arrived yet.