Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
ryannichols7

Re: Cinema Guild

#801 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:55 pm

not to self promote my own forum post (please tell me if it's not cool!), but in the Hong Sang Soo thread I have been keeping track of releases. Cinema Guild did reveal on Twitter in July they had the rights to quite a few of the old ones and would be putting them out, which I noted as needed

I have a Korean edition of Nobody's Daughter Haewon and In Another Country and would gladly double dip for both.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#802 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:01 pm

zedz wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:13 pm
But for me the one that really needs an upgrade is The Day a Pig Fell into the Well, if only for the subs.
What's wrong with the subs on the Korean Blu-ray?

zedz

#803 Post by zedz » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:17 pm

swo17 wrote:
zedz wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:13 pm
But for me the one that really needs an upgrade is The Day a Pig Fell into the Well, if only for the subs.
What's wrong with the subs on the Korean Blu-ray?
Some examples, from a five minute skim:

Didn’t you have breakfast, do you?

Why you look at yours?

Did you like fruits? Since you were child?

Is anyone still use copy paper these days?

What a eat shit!

ryannichols7

#804 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:23 pm

the Korean disc also appears to be out of print, so hopefully a new one is being prepared somewhere. I'm surprised Nova Media or Plain Archive haven't gotten into the game with Hong yet, lots of potential there

dadaistnun

#805 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:45 am

Cinema Guild will be releasing Helena Wittmann's Human Flowers of Flesh next year (great news for Drift obsessives like myself).

Finch

#806 Post by Finch » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:45 pm

Three Films by Hong Sangsoo
NOBODY'S DAUGHTER HAEWON
2013, 90 minutes
Korean DTS-MA 5.1 | Optional English Subtitles

OUR SUNHI
2013, 88 minutes

OKI'S MOVIE
2010, 80 minutes

Pre-order: Releases December 13, 2022

Synopsis
NOBODY'S DAUGHTER HAEWON
With her mother about to depart for a new life in Canada, college student Haewon (Jung Eunchae) is in quite a state. She seeks out Director Lee (Lee Sunkyun), her film professor whom she still sees, even though their relationship officially ended more than a year ago. As she considers a new future with him, Haewon drifts in and out of dreams and has a series of encounters: with a professor who teaches in America and knows Martin Scorsese, with a friend locked in a long-term relationship with a married man, with a famous French actress. She tries to find a path forward, but echoes of her recent past are all around her. She wants a drink. She needs to tell someone. She has to live her life.

OUR SUNHI
An almost-romantic roundelay of comic attempts at understanding ensues when recent film school graduate Sunhi (Jung Yumi) returns to her university to ask her professor (Kim Sangjoong) for a reference letter to study abroad. Back on campus, she runs into an ex-boyfriend (Lee Sunkyun) and a film director (Jung Jaeyoung) who also graduated from the school. Each of the three men offer their advice on life and attempt to lay out the qualities that define her. As their pronouncements proliferate and the desired letter fails to materialize, Sunhi is left to wonder: who am I really?

OKI'S MOVIE
One of Hong's most structurally audacious films, Oki's Movie comprises four short films arranged in an almost nesting doll formation. As each section reveals itself, impressions of a love triangle emerge as talented young director Jingu and his teacher, Professor Song, vie for the affection of ever-earnest film student Oki. Oki's Movie beguiles as it befuddles and, in its moving final section, inaugurates Hong's interest in female subjectivity.

Special Features
Nobody's Daughter Haewon
* Press Conference at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival (2013)
* Theatrical Trailer

Our Sunhi
* Press Conference at the 66th Locarno Film Festival (2013)
* Theatrical Trailer

Oki's Movie
* Hong Sangsoo Q&A at the Harvard Film Archive (2011)
* Hong Sangsoo Retrospective Talk at Film at Lincoln Center (2022)
* Theatrical Trailer
* Booklet featuring essays by Sean Gilman, Ryan Swen and Evan Morgan

Red Screamer

#807 Post by Red Screamer » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:07 am

Great news! The best special features for Hong films are really more Hong films.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#808 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:38 am

I wonder if these are the exact same versions of the 3 Hong films that came out on Korean BluRays some time back? (other than English-language packaging, etc).

therewillbeblus

#809 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:04 am

I don’t really care for the others, but Nobody’s Daughter Haewon is one of Hong’s best narrative features, and probably my personal favorite of his work

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#810 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:27 pm

In Front of Your Face was supposed to be released on Oct. 26, but my order is supposedly still "pending". Anyone know whether thins has been delayed?

tasa

#811 Post by tasa » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:04 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:27 pm
In Front of Your Face was supposed to be released on Oct. 26, but my order is supposedly still "pending". Anyone know whether thins has been delayed?
I was wondering about that too. I called them earlier today and they said orders shipped out earlier this week. They provided me with a tracking number. I've always had to call or email to get tracking info, they don't update your account/order.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#812 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:27 pm

tasa -- Thanks!

Aunt Peg

#813 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:22 pm

Amazon has it listed as coming on 8 November.

colinr0380

#814 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:28 am

I had an e-mail from Amazon asking to confirm I was OK to wait for the release of In Front Of Your Face, so it seems to be experiencing some kind of significant delay. It is currently estimated for the week between 1-8 December for release for me.

Supporting_Character

#815 Post by Supporting_Character » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:25 pm

I ordered In Front Of Your Face from Cinema Guild directly earlier in the week, and it just arrived today. Slightly lower price than Amazon's, too, so that might be a worthwhile alternative.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#816 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:51 pm

My copy (from Cinema Guild directly) also showed up today. Hope to watch it tonight. ;-)

P.S. Short comment about this release in the dedicated Hong thread.
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

criterionsnob

#817 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:06 pm

It was on backorder, but my copy shipped from Deep Discount today.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#818 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:48 pm

Das Mädchen und die Spinne on Blu on Dec 27
Two Short films by Ramon Zürcher:
Reinhardtstrasse (2009, 34 minutes)
Yesterday My Friend Bought a Bike (2010, 10 minutes)
Introduction from Ramon & Silvan Zürcher (from AFI Fest)
Theatrical Trailer
Booklet featuring essay by Erika Balsom

therewillbeblus

#819 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:12 am

Good movie, sounds like a great release with the shorts

The Fanciful Norwegian

#820 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:55 pm

Loved the film and happy it's getting a Blu release. I was hoping Cinema Guild would get A Night of Knowing Nothing on BD before the end of the year, but this makes the wait easier. Too bad The Strange Little Cat is stuck with Kimstim, who have abandoned the format.

lzx

#821 Post by lzx » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:46 pm

We can only hope that some label manages to finagle a box set of the planned trilogy after the third film comes out!

Re: Night of Knowing Nothing, I'm more concerned that it seems to have disappeared into streaming limbo ala Un film dramatique. Is that film available anywhere?

therewillbeblus

#822 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:12 am

So it looks like the three films from the upcoming Hong Sangsoo trilogy are available separately, but in DVD form only? It doesn't seem to specify what the format is unless it's blu-ray

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#823 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:27 am

Prices don't make much sense otherwise--the three MSRPs add up to $10 less than the BD box

therewillbeblus

#824 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:28 am

Yeah I came back here to delete my post, since all I had to do was click "blu-ray" to get my answer. I got excited since I only want Nobody's Daughter Haewon, but I also want it on blu-ray, so there goes that

cinemaguild

#825 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:56 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:55 pm
Loved the film and happy it's getting a Blu release. I was hoping Cinema Guild would get A Night of Knowing Nothing on BD before the end of the year, but this makes the wait easier. Too bad The Strange Little Cat is stuck with Kimstim, who have abandoned the format.

We are working on A Night of Knowing Nothing on Blu-ray and DVD for 2023 - it is currently on Criterion Channel and will be on more digital stores soon.

As for The Strange Little Cat, we have acquired the rights for that film and it will be getting a Blu-ray release - currently working on new artwork. You should see it pop up on digital storefronts before physical - but physical is coming.