BD 257 The Great Silence

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
FrauBlucher

Re: BD 257 The Great Silence

#26 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Finch

#27 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:15 pm

It's disappointing that Gary makes no mention of the crushed blacks and the dodgy compression. The MoC may be the best release of the film yet but it might take a UHD to get an ideal presentation.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#28 Post by Drucker » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:45 pm

Out of stock on Eureka's website, presumably sold out or nearly sold out of copies with the slipcase. As of my typing Amazon UK lists 14 copies in stock.

TMDaines

#29 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 am

Eureka's dicking around with limited editions consisting solely of a slipcase is starting to get annoying.

4LOM

#30 Post by 4LOM » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:58 pm

TMDaines wrote:Eureka's dicking around with limited editions consisting solely of a slipcase is starting to get annoying.
This one also includes a poster and 4 lobby cards.

vsski

#31 Post by vsski » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:58 am

Despite the reviews of blacks being crushed and compression issues, I did cave in and bought the MOC when it went out of print on the Eureka website (and ironically now have two copies as I ordered from two retailers thinking that one likely was also sold out and hadn’t updated their site).
Well, unfortunately I can report that reviews stating compression issues and black crushing are true and the disc is definitely not the reference quality it could have been. Of course it’s way better than the previous US DVD that I have and grain is rendered mostly well. In general the film does have a grimy, hazy look to it and quite a few scenes are filmed with filters and gauze which is noticeable. While black crushing is visible in the night and interior scenes (although it varies by scene), what I found the most distressing is the compression that sometimes makes some images look very digital and not just in black areas. Fortunately the majority of the film looks fine, so if you don’t own it already (and don’t have to have the limited edition) I’d wait for a sale from Eureka down the line.
Since a 4K restoration was presumably done, it stands to hope that a UHD will materialize that may rectify the problems. Clearly a missed opportunity, as the package with all the extras is superb.

ChunkyLover

#32 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:05 am

I tried watching the Eureka disc and, personally, I found it borderline unwatchable. Besides the black crush, I'm not a fan of how all the colors are "deeper"/more saturated compared to Film Movement. Interestingly, the film footage used in the Austin Fisher interview looks much more like the FM disc and Eureka's YouTube trailer also looks the same (both without the slightly lower gamma FM has and the framing isn't slightly zoomed like the Eureka disc). It's a shame the final encode/export was botched. Until an English friendly 4K comes along, I'll just stick with the Film Movement disc (which really isn't that bad in-motion and adjusting the gamma to 2.4 does combat some of the washed out look).