BD 232 A Foreign Affair

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Ribs

BD 232 A Foreign Affair

#1 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am

From the inimitable Billy Wilder (Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend) comes this classic comedy that mixes romance with hard-boiled wit in a story about stiff-necked Iowa congresswoman Phoebe Frost (Jean Arthur – Shane) mired in jaded postwar Berlin.

As she investigates the morale of American troops, Phoebe is cynically wooed by fellow Iowan Captain John Pringle (John Lund), who is trying to cover up his affair with Nazi-tainted chanteuse Erika von Schlütow (Marlene Dietrich – Witness for the Prosecution, The Blue Angel).

Filled with sharp dialogue and satiric jabs, A Foreign Affair is one of Wilder’s most beloved comedies, and The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film in its UK debut on Blu-ray.

SPECIAL FEATURES
1080p presentation on Blu-ray
Uncompressed LPCM 2.0 audio
Audio commentary by film historian Joseph McBride
New video piece on the film by critic Kat Ellinger
Archival interview with Billy Wilder
Theatrical trailer
A collector’s booklet featuring new writing by film historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas; a new essay by critic Richard Combs; and more!

TMDaines

Re: BD 232 A Foreign Affair

#2 Post by TMDaines » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:35 am

Will probably upgrade my German disc at some point. Nice.

ChunkyLover

Re: BD 232 A Foreign Affair

#3 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:06 am

Anyone find the black bars for the aspect ratio a bit distracting? Like, for the whole film they just keep constantly spazing out with blocking artefacts. I assume this might have to do with so much flickering in the master but I'm curious if this is an issue on the Kino release.