BD 23 Silent Running

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
RossyG

Re: BD 23 Silent Running

#151 Post by RossyG » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 am

There must be something like that the wrong with my set-up, then; maybe theSony BD player (the TVs a Panasonic Plasma).

It was so much easier in the days of VHS. You'd just plug 'em in and off they'd go.

The pictures were crap, mind. ;)

MichaelB

#152 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am

I remember the time I had to complain about a cinema running subtitles one line behind (or ahead, I forget which, and it hardly mattered). The cinema manager assured me that what I was describing wasn't technically possible, but gave me a refund anyway.

I had a contact at the distributor, so I rang them the next day and found out that my walkout was the first of many. And yes, it certainly is technically possible for digital projectors to lose sync in the subtitles!

Which never happened in my young day: granted, reading them at all could be tricky (especially if it was a 16mm print of a black and white film with lots of white), but at least they were in sync.

med

#153 Post by med » Mon May 07, 2012 6:57 am

Watched this last night, and yes, I had the slightly daft sync problem, though only in the scene where Dern is yelling at his shipmates as they're all eating. Alas, I only have one region-free player, so I can't check it on anything else.

Anyway, very good movie. I hadn't seen it in maybe 15 years and likely wouldn't have revisited it were it not for this release. I'll say I was a little surprised at the 'U' rating, given the amount of violence in the film. It'd probably be a PG or PG-13 in the States were it submitted now.

RossyG

#154 Post by RossyG » Mon May 07, 2012 7:24 am

med wrote:I had the slightly daft sync problem, though only in the scene where Dern is yelling at his shipmates as they're all eating.
That's the scene I found the fault most evident.

Wes Moynihan

#155 Post by Wes Moynihan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Sorry for bumping up this fairly old thread but worth mentioning that the synch fault is exactly the same on the old R1 Universal disc from 2002, so this is not a fault of the MOC edition (in case anyone would be turned off the MOC disc)...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#156 Post by Drucker » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:10 am