134 / BD 106 Les Misérables

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

134 / BD 106 Les Misérables

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:42 am

Les Misérables

Image Image

The most thorough of all film adaptations of Victor Hugo's immortal novel, Les misérables [The Wretched] was a triumph for director Raymond Bernard, one of the more overlooked filmmakers of the early French cinema.

Originally released in quick succession as three separate features in 1934, Bernard's film recounts the story of the ex-convict Jean Valjean (Harry Baur) harried by the wicked Inspector Javert (Charles Vanel); of the virtuous Fantine (Florelle, née Odette Rousseau) who sells herself into prostitution for the welfare of her daughter Cosette (Gaby Triquet as the young girl Cosette, and Josseline Gaël as the young woman); and of intersections of these threads and more in an impressive rendering of Hugo's stately tapestry.

Newly restored in 4K at its original length by Pathé, Les misérables is a major accomplishment on the level of storytelling, and a major component in the history of French film. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Raymond Bernard's magnum opus for the first time on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK, in a Dual Format edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New presentation of the film in its complete length from the new Pathé 4K digital restoration
• Optional English subtitles
Victor Hugo in Cinema, Claudine Cohen discusses Bernard's Les Misérables, its production, and other adaptations of Hugo's novel
Raymond Bernard, un grand cineaste francais, a 1979 interview with filmmaker Roger Ikhlef
La distribution des Misérables de Raymond Bernard, video discussion with French Cinema expert Raymond Chirat
• Screen tests of auditions for the role of Gavroche
• Deleted scenes
• Archival newsreels
• Theatrical trailer
Le Chemineau [The Vagabond], Albert Capellani's 1905 short film
• 28-PAGE BOOKLET with a new and exclusive essay by critic Emmanuel Burdeau illustrated with archival imagery

Lowry_Sam

Re: Forthcoming: Les Misérables

#2 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:43 pm

....woohoo! Just in time. I have come so close to purchasing the French blu-ray, but the hope of a Criterion kept me from finalizing. This one will at least be cheaper than a Criterion edition & who knows when that will ever be released.

eerik

#3 Post by eerik » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:19 pm

So this is most likely going to be #100. Nearly five hours long and a dual format release means at least two Blu-rays and three DVDs. Digipack with a thick booklet and sturdy slipbox for the packaging?

L.A.

#4 Post by L.A. » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:48 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: BD 106 Les Misérables

#5 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:31 am

Has anyone ever in the history of the world ever called this (or the novel, or any of the other adaptations) The Wretched before?

Tommaso

#6 Post by Tommaso » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:00 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 pm

It does stop people from butchering the title when trying to talk about it. One of my students gave a particularly abstract attempt the other day- "Lee's miser apple ess"

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:00 am

swo17 wrote:Has anyone ever in the history of the world ever called this (or the novel, or any of the other adaptations) The Wretched before?
They had to tie Craig Keller down to prevent it being called 'Boo Who?', so count your blessings.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:11 am

swo17 wrote:Has anyone ever in the history of the world ever called this (or the novel, or any of the other adaptations) The Wretched before?
The stage musical is popularly known as The Glums in London. Although admittedly not on the actual theatre marquee.

knives

#10 Post by knives » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:50 pm

domino harvey wrote:It does stop people from butchering the title when trying to talk about it. One of my students gave a particularly abstract attempt the other day- "Lee's miser apple ess"
Have to admit I just call it The Miserable Ones, but that's when spoken only.

Der Spieler

#11 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:08 am

Makes me want to re-read the novel but I'm not sure I'm up for 2000 pages.

Great news nonetheless!

Jonathan S

#12 Post by Jonathan S » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:57 am

So what are the "host of extras" on this release? Eureka say they'll be shipping it on Monday but even they seem reluctant to tell us...

remy

#13 Post by remy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm confused - is this actually a Dual Format? The website has the option to choose between Blu-ray and DVD.

eerik

#14 Post by eerik » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:30 pm

remy wrote:I'm confused - is this actually a Dual Format? The website has the option to choose between Blu-ray and DVD.
It was announced as a dual format release but silently turned into separate Blu-ray and DVD releases.

Paul Moran

Re: 134 / BD 106 Les Misérables

#15 Post by Paul Moran » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Regarding extras, DVD Beaver just lists:

Three Hours that Shook the World: Observations on Intolerance (19:02)
56-PAGE BOOKLET filled with vintage and modern reports, reflections, and essays on the film.

but the text states: "It also has the film on one lone Blu-ray and the supplements ... on another BD."

When mine turns up, I'll post the actual contents here unless someone beats me to it!

BTW, agreeing with eerik, my order acknowledgement states Blu-ray, not Dual Format.

Jack Phillips

#16 Post by Jack Phillips » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Paul Moran wrote: but the text states: "It also has the film on one lone Blu-ray and the supplements ... on another BD."
The French release put Parts 1 and 2 of the film on one BD, Part 3 and the supplements on a second BD.

A man stayed-put

#17 Post by A man stayed-put » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Paul Moran wrote:Regarding extras, DVD Beaver just lists:

Three Hours that Shook the World: Observations on Intolerance (19:02)
56-PAGE BOOKLET filled with vintage and modern reports, reflections, and essays on the film.

but the text states: "It also has the film on one lone Blu-ray and the supplements ... on another BD."

When mine turns up, I'll post the actual contents here unless someone beats me to it!

BTW, agreeing with eerik, my order acknowledgement states Blu-ray, not Dual Format.
I think those are the Intolerance specs rather than Les Miserables, but would be grateful if you could share what the extras are once yours arrives.

Gregor Samsa

#18 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:30 pm

I'd imagine similar to the French release, but with English subtitles. If so, this is what's listed according to blu-ray.com:
Victor Hugo au Cinema - in this new featurette, writer and researcher Claudine Cohen discusses Raymond Bernard's Les Miserables, its production history, and other adaptations of Victor Hugo's legendary novel (Albert Capellani's 1912 film as well as Henri Fescourt's 1935 film). Short clips from Raymond Bernard, Albert Capellani, and Henri Fescourt's films are included in the featurette. In French, not subtitled. (23 min).

Raymond Bernard, un grand cineaste francais - in this archival interview from 1979, editor and filmmaker Roger Ikhlef discusses Raymond Bernard's Les Miserables. In French, not subtitled. (11 min).

La distribution des Miserables de Raymond Bernard - in this new video interview, French cinema expert Raymond Chirat discusses Raymond Bernard's Les Miserables. Mr. Chirat is the creator and former director of Bibliotheque Raymond Chirat at the Institut Lumiere in Lyon, France. In French, not subtitled. (19 min).

Les essais de Gavroche - Gaumont Pathe Archives - archival screen tests with young Parisian actors auditioning for the role of Gavroche. Footage courtesy of Pathe (Gaumont Pathe archives). In French, not subtitled. (2 min).

Scenes coupees - a collection of deleted scenes. In French, not subtitled. (3 min).

Actualites Pathe - in French, not subtitled.

1. La grande nuit du cinema - Gaumont Pathe Archives - archival footage from a public introduction of the cast members of Les Miserables. The event was organized by Opera de Paris Garnier on February 21, 1933.

2. Les petits lits blanc - Gaumont Pathe Archives - Victor Hugo's poem recited by Gaby Triquet (Cosette/child). (2 min).

Le Chemineau d'Albert Capellani (1905) - Albert Capellani's short film "The Vagabond" (1905). Albert Capellani directed the 1912 silent version of Les Miserables. Silent. (4 min).

Galerie des decors - a collection of sketches. Courtesy of Cinematheque francaise. With music. (2 min).

Galerie photos - a collection of production stills, promo stills, and archival photographs. With music. (7 min).

Film annonce - restored trailer for Raymond Bernard's Les Miserables. In French, not subtitled. (4 min).

Booklet - 52-page illustrated booklet featuring archival content, writings on the film, and notes on Pathe's new 4K restoration.

Florinaldo

#19 Post by Florinaldo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:14 pm

On the Eureka discussion board, Kevin from Eureka has posted the following reply to a question asking what are the host of extras.
Basically everything from the French disc.

Paul Moran

#20 Post by Paul Moran » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:01 am

My copy shipped Monday 1 Dec in a parcel of 19, by first class post, and finally arrived today (Friday 5 Dec).

Disc specs are:

DISC 1 (BD50)
Part 1 of the film (115:40)
Part 2 of the film (85:45)
One audio track - French LPCM 1.0; optional English subs

DISC 2 (BD50)
Part 3 of the film (87:24)
Extras:
Victor Hugo in Cinema (Claudine Cohen discussion) (22:49)
Roger Ikhlef 1979 interview about Bernard (11:22)
Raymond Chirat discussion (18:41)
Gavroche Screen Tests (1:58)
Deleted Scenes (2:39)
Newsreels (3:35)
Theatrical Trailer (3:35)
Le Chemineau (1905 short) (3:39)

Plus a 28-page (incl. covers) booklet

otis

#21 Post by otis » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Gregor Samsa

#22 Post by Gregor Samsa » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:45 am

Calvin

#23 Post by Calvin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:23 am

I've finally got round to watching this release, and I concur with the sentiments in the Bernard Eclipse thread - the third film is by far the strongest with everything from Larmarque's funeral onwards being technically breathtaking and emotionally gripping, justifying the choice to dedicate nearly 5 hours to this. The film hangs on Harry Baur's performance and it misses him whenever he's not on screen, especially in the relatively insipid second film.

It was great that MoC followed up this up with Wooden Crosses, but it's a shame that half a decade has passed with no Blu-Ray release of Bernard's The Miracle of the Wolves or The Chess Player from MoC or otherwise.