BD 271 Son of The White Mare

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
ChunkyLover

BD 271 Son of The White Mare

#1 Post by ChunkyLover » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:32 am

SPECIAL FEATURES

Limited Edition O-Card slipcase
1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a director approved 4K digital restoration
Johnny Corncob (János Vitéz) – Jankovics first animated feature, and the first ever Hungarian animated feature film, is also presented here in 1080p from a director approved 4K digital restoration
Sisyphus – short film
The Struggle (Küzdők) – short film
Dreams on Wings – short film created as a commercial for Air India
Optional English Subtitles
Brighter Colors – extensive interview with Marcell Jankovics from the Hungarian National Film Archive, filmed in 2020
Making of János Vitéz – archival featurette from 1973
The Director Talks – featurette with Jankovics produced by the Hungarian National Film Archive
A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by film writer Rich Johnson

beamish14

Re: BD 271 Son of The White Mare

#2 Post by beamish14 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:34 am

Looks like I have to double dip after getting Arbelos’ disc

I really hope Jancovics’ final feature, The Tragedy of Man, will get an HD release. I have the Hungarian DVD

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:42 am

I stand corrected--this is pretty much replicating the Arbelos package.

And to post something constructive, this is a good concept album inspired by the film

What A Disgrace

#4 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:21 am

I'm glad I don't have to double dip on it, I would have immediately plopped down more money for a commentary or another short film.

ryannichols7

#5 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:56 am

this is not on the Arbelos disc, correct?
The Director Talks – featurette with Jankovics produced by the Hungarian National Film Archive
as said elsewhere I like LEs and this has good art as expected. will get this, though I do wish they'd gotten another commentary or really anything else scholarly about the film to differentiate it from the Arbelos. interesting since Eureka has done such an amazing bang for your buck job this year with extras...which this is obviously still loaded with

Calvin

#6 Post by Calvin » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:52 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:34 am
Looks like I have to double dip after getting Arbelos’ disc

I really hope Jancovics’ final feature, The Tragedy of Man, will get an HD release. I have the Hungarian DVD
I have a Hungarian Blu-Ray that was released back in 2013, but it looks like its possibly OOP now or certainly very difficult to import. It would have been nice if Eureka got it as well as it's film that I think would really benefit from some extras and those on the Hungarian Blu aren't English-friendly.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:56 am
Correct, but I think it's this video that is on the National Film Archive's YouTube channel. It's certainly not enough to make me double dip over the Arbelos but hopefully it does well enough to make Eureka release The Tragedy of Man or more animation full stop for that matter.

ryannichols7

#7 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:01 am

Calvin wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:52 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:56 am
Correct, but I think it's this video that is on the National Film Archive's YouTube channel. It's certainly not enough to make me double dip over the Arbelos but hopefully it does well enough to make Eureka release The Tragedy of Man or more animation full stop for that matter.
definitely, just a nice treat for being late to the party on picking this up. I really do hope they release Tragedy of Man, and it looks like Hungary restored Song of the Miraculous Hind as well - would make a great twofer edition for MOC. Hungary has been one of the best countries in regards to film restoration and preservation, and I just hope to see the anglo labels take full advantage of this - I've enjoyed every single movie from Hungary I've seen so far!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:34 am

Did David Mackenzie encode the Arbelos release? Will he encode this one?

brundlefly

#9 Post by brundlefly » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:29 pm

Arbelos booklet does credit Fidelity in Motion.

ChunkyLover

#10 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:37 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:34 am
Will he encode this one?
It's possible but hard to say. Eureka seemingly only use FiM nowadays for mostly their martial arts releases