MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4201 Post by swo17 » Tue May 24, 2022 9:14 pm

By "first film" do you mean Police Story or Project A? And if the former, does that mean the Criterion release is compromised?

yoloswegmaster

#4202 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 24, 2022 9:28 pm

I meant to say that the Japanese cut of the first Police Story film won't be added to the UHD release, so you might want to hang onto the Eureka blu. I don't know if it's fair to say that the Criterion release is compromised when they were never allowed to release the Japanese cut in the first place (not really sure how Eureka were able to add it on if they ended up in trouble with the licensors).

therewillbeblus

#4203 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 24, 2022 9:32 pm

But is the Japanese cut superior?

andyli

#4204 Post by andyli » Wed May 25, 2022 1:23 am

As far as I know it's nothing more than a curiosity piece that contains some additional stuff like a title sequence with Chan's theme song. Then it has that obtrusive Japanese subtitle hard printed on the right side.

Ribs

#4205 Post by Ribs » Wed May 25, 2022 10:03 am

Commenting on the new development, the company’s Managing Director, Ruth Schofield stated “Over the years via our Masters of Cinema Series and Eureka! Classics range we have always sought to maintain the highest standards in home video presentation, using the finest materials available. So, it was always only going to be a matter of time before we embraced this state of the art, high-end format; enabling us to continue to present the finest in cult and world cinema to the highest possible standard. We are very proud to present the series of films that revitalised the Hong Kong action genre and established Jackie Chan as a worldwide superstar, as our very first UHD release, and look forward to bringing you more UHD releases in the future, including our first UHD Masters of Cinema release.”
Which I'll take to mean they are mostly going to be doing UHD titles of the Classics line ilk if they only have one 4K MoC release in the queue!

What A Disgrace

#4206 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed May 25, 2022 10:24 am

I can see Fright Night getting a UHD bump in time for Halloween. It has to be one of their biggest selling horror titles; I know the limited steelbook went out of print before anyone could even notice it was there. As for the main MoC line, Drunken Master is a sure thing, and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari seems like it would a very uncomplicated silent title to upgrade.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4207 Post by Drucker » Wed May 25, 2022 10:30 am

Metropolis UHD would seem imminent as well.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4208 Post by tenia » Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 am

Not sure a Metropolis UHD would make sense. The current restoration is quite fine but it remains rough and progressively looks a bit more dated than what would be deemed fit for a UHD release. Caligari might be a better fit, though maybe it'll be a new title altogether and not an upgrade of an already released title.

Finch

#4209 Post by Finch » Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am

Personally, I'd root for The General getting a 4k upgrade, with the addition of the Hisaishi score, please.

andyli

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#4210 Post by andyli » Wed May 25, 2022 11:42 am

Dream big, why not a Keaton UHD box set, Volume 1?

rapta

#4211 Post by rapta » Wed May 25, 2022 4:46 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:03 am
Commenting on the new development, the company’s Managing Director, Ruth Schofield stated “Over the years via our Masters of Cinema Series and Eureka! Classics range we have always sought to maintain the highest standards in home video presentation, using the finest materials available. So, it was always only going to be a matter of time before we embraced this state of the art, high-end format; enabling us to continue to present the finest in cult and world cinema to the highest possible standard. We are very proud to present the series of films that revitalised the Hong Kong action genre and established Jackie Chan as a worldwide superstar, as our very first UHD release, and look forward to bringing you more UHD releases in the future, including our first UHD Masters of Cinema release.”
Which I'll take to mean they are mostly going to be doing UHD titles of the Classics line ilk if they only have one 4K MoC release in the queue!
The MoC title could well be Drunken Master, since it seems like they're going to mostly do Hong Kong titles (at least to start with). Though of course it'd be interesting to see what they got in future for MoC and whether it'd be popular enough for UHD.

The only thing that gives me pause in regards to the silent film suggestions is, would it actually be a big seller for them? Metropolis, Caligari, Nosferatu etc...maybe, but will the sales outweigh the extra production expense? I feel like if they did UHD for MoC, it'd have to be a new title (like The Great Silence, Johnny Guitar or A Fistful of Dynamite, but obviously they've already released those two so a belated UHD would also be a big gamble sales-wise).

Perhaps they'll consider some Eureka Classics that isn't martial arts? We know they have Sollima's Run, Man, Run on its way, but I suppose for UHD they'd have to get something even more popular than that. The Sabata Trilogy would seem more realistic by comparison, but I fear any negotiations with MGM may be over so that's not going to be on the cards. Hmm...

What A Disgrace

#4212 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed May 25, 2022 9:59 pm

I imagine a pre-existing 4K master is the biggest deciding factor over whether or not something can, let alone will, receive a 4K Blu-ray release. Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Drunken Master are strong likelihoods, and maybe Touch of Evil and the Wilders if the Universal relationship is smooth.

What A Disgrace

#4213 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:31 pm

MoC is teasing something Keaton related.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4214 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:37 pm

A fifth chance to buy all of his films again! (This is not a complaint)

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4215 Post by soundchaser » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:44 pm

Looks like The Saphead, which will probably be paired with Three Ages to complete their silent Keaton releases.

(Although I'm hoping for Sherlock, Jr. to show up in 4K at some point.)

What A Disgrace

#4216 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:46 pm

Yes, this is definitely from The Saphead.

ryannichols7

#4217 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:57 pm

The Saphead/Three Ages would be a release of the year candidate for me, from any label. had really wondered why those two got the neglect they did. very very pleased to see MOC making it happen

but yes, I'd buy Keaton in 4K too...

eerik

#4218 Post by eerik » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Where are all those *silentfilm* UHD suggestions coming from? I seriously doubt Eureka would release anything that doesn't have proper HDR grading on 4K disc, and I don't think those slients have them (some don't even have 4K masters). I expect the first MoC UHD Blu-ray to be something licensed from American major, probably Sony/Columbia.

Glowingwabbit

#4219 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:38 am

I'd assume their early announcement of the Police Story trilogy UHD for September was partly due to it being their first UHD release. So I doubt they'll announce a UHD for August.

Finch

#4220 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:13 pm

August titles up early on Amazon UK

Man Without a Star
The Saphead
Hapkido & Lady Whirlwind

hearthesilence

#4221 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 pm

Nice. I was thinking about getting Man Without a Star from Kino but it didn't look that good. Hope they get a new transfer or at least improve on the encoding.

L.A.

#4222 Post by L.A. » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:11 am

Finch wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:36 am
Universal Terror: Three Films starring Boris Karloff (Eureka Classics)
Beaver.

Marwood

#4223 Post by Marwood » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:33 am

I little birdie has told me that Eureka will be releasing the 1923 Lon Chaney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame soon. So no need for those of us in Europe to splurge for the Kino or Flicker Alley release.

What A Disgrace

#4224 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:00 pm

The Strange Door is being teased as one of the Thursday announcements; another Karloff title, so I suspect it will be a boxed set. Hopefully we'll FINALLY get Black Friday and The Invisible Ray.

Orlac

#4225 Post by Orlac » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:08 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:00 pm
The Strange Door is being teased as one of the Thursday announcements; another Karloff title, so I suspect it will be a boxed set. Hopefully we'll FINALLY get Black Friday and The Invisible Ray.
There's also Karloff's two Abbott & Costello horrors. Be nice if we got them.