MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
dwk

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4251 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:15 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:14 am
It'll most likely be 88 Films who will be releasing these in the States. Hopefully they create a boxset for all the films instead of individual releases.
I was thinking either them or Vinegar Syndrome.

What A Disgrace

#4252 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 am

Finch wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:51 am
Frank Djeng has teased a big announcement for November.
Last November saw the release of the Joseph Kuo box, so I expect something in a similar vein. ...maybe, in fact, more Joseph Kuo.

yoloswegmaster

#4253 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:13 am

Irongod did hint that Mystery of Chessboxing was going to be forthcoming, so it could very well be a Joseph Kuo Vol. 2 boxset.

Orlac

#4254 Post by Orlac » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:00 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:13 am
Irongod did hint that Mystery of Chessboxing was going to be forthcoming, so it could very well be a Joseph Kuo Vol. 2 boxset.
That title wasn't one of the Kuo widescreen DVDs from Mei Ah back in the day, so very welcome news if they've been able to remaster this (there is a boot of a 35mm print out there). Even more so for Born Invincible, an ever rarer (in OAR) title.

Finch

#4255 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:12 am

Jonathan Rigby posted on his social media that he is recording a new audio commentary with Kevin Lyons for Cabinet of Dr Caligari. So it seems MoC's first UHD is going to be Caligari.

hearthesilence

#4256 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:12 am
Jonathan Rigby posted on his social media that he is recording a new audio commentary with Kevin Lyons for Cabinet of Dr Caligari. So it seems MoC's first UHD is going to be Caligari.
Nice! I remember the Blu-ray already looking amazing - it may be a new scan, but I imagine it's the same FWMS restoration (or at least very close to it).

FrauBlucher

#4257 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:54 am

Glowingwabbit

#4258 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:21 am

Our November 2022 line-up will be announced at 3pm BST on Tuesday 6 September 2022 via our usual social media channels.

It features one of the best animated films of the ‘80s.
https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/ ... e0G-02onOQ

therewillbeblus

#4259 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:24 am

Not sure how Eureka can best Arbelos' release of Son of the White Mare...
Last edited by therewillbeblus on Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4260 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:25 am

How long is that list even?

Calvin

#4261 Post by Calvin » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:56 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:24 am
Not sure how Eureka can best Arbelos' release of Son of the White Mare...
Arbelos' release was superlative so this is probably for the Region B-locked crowd. It would be great if they also put out The Tragedy of Man, which I have the Hungarian release of but only the feature has English subtitles.

Interestingly, Marcell Jankovics' final film is due out in Hungary next month. It looks bad.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4262 Post by tenia » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:02 pm

Of course it IS for the Region B crowd. No matter how good the Arbelos release is, it remains a US release (IIRC is a Region A locked one on top of that), while nothing replaces a domestic release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4263 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:25 am
How long is that list even?
I've logged almost 200 on IMDb, though like 75% of them are shorts (which is where most of the best animation happens anyway). Someone needs to release this!

Finch

#4264 Post by Finch » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Fantastic choice by Eureka (or MoC) with Son of the White Mare. But even if the features advance upon the excellent Arbelos release, I'm unlikely to double dip as there are too many other titles on my to-get list, including other Eureka and/or MoC titles. Son feels like it goes under the MoC banner given the two Laloux films got a spine number. Run, Man, Run would make a nice Sollima double bill with The Big Gundown if the former gets announced for November, too. Maybe a Hongkong film box set to round out the month (more Joseph Kuo or Yes Madam) and the Dr Caligari UHD?

Calvin

#4265 Post by Calvin » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:55 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, this will be the first animated film to join the Masters of Cinema line since the now-OOP Gandahar all the way back in 2007.

I'd like to see them release more. It's somewhat surprising that no label (outside Japan) has picked up the Yuri Norstein restorations. Or Ladislas Starevich's films. Or Allegro non troppo. I could go on.

What A Disgrace

#4266 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:01 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:24 am
Interestingly, Marcell Jankovics' final film is due out in Hungary next month. It looks bad.
Evidently, this is actually a thirteen episode TV series and came out last year. I'm guessing this is a theatrical version of the show. It still looks weak.

ryannichols7

#4267 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:20 pm

I missed out on the LE for the Arbelos release and the Eureka will likely be cheaper, and I'm sure a slipcover if not a hard box. should be an easy purchase for me unless they somehow drop the ball and don't carry over the shorts from the Arbelos disc

hoping we get the Caligari UHD. dream inclusion there would be Genuine, but this being Eureka..I'm sure that would get it's own loaded edition

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4268 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:41 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:20 pm
I missed out on the LE for the Arbelos release and the Eureka will likely be cheaper, and I'm sure a slipcover if not a hard box. should be an easy purchase for me unless they somehow drop the ball and don't carry over the shorts from the Arbelos disc
The Arbelos release (still available, and only missing some collectible packaging from the LE) has a whole other bonus feature in addition to the three shorts. I'd be surprised if Eureka replicated exactly the same lineup. More likely they include a couple of the same bonus films and then one unique short that compels me to double dip

rapta

#4269 Post by rapta » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:24 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:46 pm
Fantastic choice by Eureka (or MoC) with Son of the White Mare. But even if the features advance upon the excellent Arbelos release, I'm unlikely to double dip as there are too many other titles on my to-get list, including other Eureka and/or MoC titles. Son feels like it goes under the MoC banner given the two Laloux films got a spine number. Run, Man, Run would make a nice Sollima double bill with The Big Gundown if the former gets announced for November, too. Maybe a Hongkong film box set to round out the month (more Joseph Kuo or Yes Madam) and the Dr Caligari UHD?
I reckon Run, Man, Run has a good chance of being released very soon. They confirmed it to me via email a while ago (well, said they had two Sollima titles and I narrowed it down to Revolver and Run, Man, Run after 88 Films announced Violent City, the latter of which I coincidentally received in the post today) so it can't be much longer. And yes, The Big Gundown is very exciting so I'd love to get another Sollima Western before the year ends!

Amazing news about Son of the White Mare, a title I was suggesting to Eureka/Arrow/Second Run a few times in the past (after I realised the Arbelos disc was region locked). Very happy and hope they do it justice. It's surely MoC so that's exciting (last MoC Blu-ray of an animated film was Fantastic Planet a decade ago!). Will definitely be pre-ordering this one!

Some more HK business would be great, and maybe they'll do some before Christmas. There were some exciting Joseph Kuo restorations appearing theatrically around the country recently, amongst a few other wuxia films I've also never heard of, so perhaps a box set is imminent? And yes, the first MoC UHD is likely to be Dr Caligari at this point...that'll be interesting, and equally curious to see which other UHD titles they pick in future (probably somewhat cautious, much like BFI have been doing, though also making sure they're absolutely solid releases). I wonder if they'll do a Blu-ray reissue or not to begin with...not sure if I'd double-dip immediately on another Blu-ray since I'm not going to buy any UHD in the near future. Depends what they can add to this release of course!

Finch

#4270 Post by Finch » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:57 pm

Revising my guesses slightly to:

Caligari MoC UHD + BD (the previous BD + DVD dual format is 8 years old at this point; it's November and a dual format with a 4k sourced Blu-Ray included would allow them to shift more copies in time for Christmas)
Son of The White Mare MoC BD

Mystery of Chessboxing & Born Invincible set Eureka BD (irongod said Mystery was forthcoming and Frank teased a big announcement for November)
Yes, Madam Eureka BD

If it is scheduled for 2022, Run, Man, Run might be for December instead (but equally likely, I can see them have RMR as the last November title and have Yes Madam in December).

An upgrade of Face to Face in the future would be great as well. In the time that's passed since the DVD you'd think a transfer has surfaced that Eureka would feel comfortable putting out in HD.

Wishes for 2023? I hope there's more Michelle Yeoh coming beyond the three they've already announced, so.. Wing Chun would be nice. Non-martial arts Hongkong films like Center Stage since Film Movement's BD ended up being censored. I'd welcome some of Michael Hui's comedies. Trouble in Paradise on Blu-Ray since the film got restored in the last three years or so, so no excuse left. Upgrade of The Devil and Daniel Webster?

dwk

#4271 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:20 pm

I thought Eureka's license for Face to Face had expired?

Finch

#4272 Post by Finch » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:16 am

Maybe it has, I don't know. Point being if they want to reissue the film, they would inquire if it was still available. The only other UK label that lately has shown any interest in Sollima is Indicator.

yoloswegmaster

#4273 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:25 am

Irongod has confirmed that there will be another Sammo title that should be announced soon. Hopefully it's for The Victim.

Maltic

#4274 Post by Maltic » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:10 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:25 am
Irongod has confirmed that there will be another Sammo title that should be announced soon. Hopefully it's for The Victim.
Indeed, would be great.

(Pedicab Driver still being unavailable for some reason, right?)

dwk

#4275 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:30 am

Warner Brothers owns Pedicab Driver