MoC OOP

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
hearthesilence

Re: MoC OOP

#376 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:18 pm

m_montana wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:59 pm
Double Indemnity has been discontinued. Possibly Criterion's fault?
The PQ was even inferior to Universal's own upgraded release. Unless there are exclusive extras worth seeking, no big loss.

m_montana

#377 Post by m_montana » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:38 pm

Lifeboat has been discontinued.

ChunkyLover

#378 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:10 pm

The price for "Pickup on South Street" at Eureka's store has risen to £15.99 from £12.99 and it's most likely the next Fox license to go OOP.

ChunkyLover

#379 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:40 pm

More Fox bites the dust: "The Flight of the Phoenix" and "Laura" listed as discontinued on Eureka's site.

FrauBlucher

#380 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:38 pm

ChunkyLover wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:40 pm
More Fox bites the dust: "The Flight of the Phoenix" and "Laura" listed as discontinued on Eureka's site.
I'm really rooting for Criterion to release Laura in UHD. Not sure if there is a correlation, but maybe this is a sign

ChunkyLover

#381 Post by ChunkyLover » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:07 pm

"The Mourning Forest" has been discontinued.

ChunkyLover

#382 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:37 am

A bunch of MGM licenses are going OOP. Specifically: "Birdman of Alcatraz", "Coming Home", "Inherit the Wind", "Monkey Shines", "Salvador", and "Under Fire". Eureka are doing an offer on their site:
Our licences are expiring on a number of titles and we need to sell off all remaining stock.

2 for £20 or £11.00 each. Discount will only be applied for every two purchases. (While stocks last - Limited stock remains) https://bit.ly/3S1Wvsn

Offer Closes 28th February

yoloswegmaster

#383 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:55 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#384 Post by Drucker » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 pm

Truly the end of an era, the Kalat commentary on City Girl is great and worth the price of admission. (movie is pretty good too)

rapta

#385 Post by rapta » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:30 pm

Agreed, City Girl is brilliant and a shame to see it disappear (Sunrise too obviously). Truly the end of an era, seeing these staples go OOP. I felt like Murnau, along with Lang, was one of the backbones of the MoC brand!

Also sad to see the Kazan, Aldrich and Bertolucci go too, but those are all Fox titles so I'm not that surprised. A couple of the Classics titles are Sony ones though, so I am kind of surprised to see them disappear so soon (and this prompted me to finally grab a cheap copy of The Cockleshell Heroes, just in case...I've enjoyed previous Sheldon Hall extras on other Eureka titles, so that alone is enough to warrant a purchase).

SeizureMilk

#386 Post by SeizureMilk » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:17 pm

Honestly, pretty surprised that Sunrise is going OOP considering it's in the public domain, hopefully though this means we'll get a Fox or even Kino Lorber blu-ray, but my hopes aren't exactly the highest. Thank you for reading.

bad future

#387 Post by bad future » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:21 pm

Even though the film itself is newly in the public domain this year, the restoration was still produced by Fox from their own elements and would have been licensed from them, right? I'd be tempted to read into the timing re: public domain if other Fox licenses weren't going OOP at the same time. I feel doubtful that Sunrise will be prioritized by Disney any time soon, but maybe Criterion could work something out if motivated? Does anyone here have any idea if the elements leave much room for improvement with a newer restoration?

SeizureMilk

#388 Post by SeizureMilk » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:27 pm

Looking at the DVDBeaver image comparisons and it appears that the Eureka release on Blu-Ray does look more sharper than either the Fox or previous Eureka elements, but I think that U.S. release is a little darker than necessary. Thank you for reading.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#389 Post by Drucker » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:41 am

TMDaines

#390 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:08 am

Base.com/Hit cancelled my order after it being on hold for a week before OOP notice...

Really do not like MoC's current model. There's no reason for the content on the second disc in this set to be limited. It could have all been on one disc.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#391 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:50 am

The issue, in the present, is less about the overall business model than about how this specific release was encoded.

Indeed, while there are seemingly 15 cuts between the uncensored and the censored versions, they're seemingly big chunks of movie each time and not humpteen small cuts à la Michael Mann. This means it'd have been a good fit for presenting both cuts seamlessly branched.

ChunkyLover

#392 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:43 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:50 am
The issue, in the present, is less about the overall business model than about how this specific release was encoded.

Indeed, while there are seemingly 15 cuts between the uncensored and the censored versions, they're seemingly big chunks of movie each time and not humpteen small cuts à la Michael Mann. This means it'd have been a good fit for presenting both cuts seamlessly branched.
Their usual MoC encoder, who I assumed did this release, doesn't seem to do seamless branching. The Honda films (Mothra, the Sci-Fi double feature) had the English-dubbed versions as separate files instead of branching despite the fact that they were from the same masters as the original (instead of something like an SD source).

ChunkyLover

#393 Post by ChunkyLover » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:19 am

MoC's remaining Pasolini titles (Accattone, The Gospel According to Matthew, and Oedipus Rex) are going OOP:
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/promotions/ou ... -pasolini/

Finch

#394 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 am

Same goes for their Early Murnau set.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#395 Post by tenia » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:02 am

ChunkyLover wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:43 am
Their usual MoC encoder, who I assumed did this release, doesn't seem to do seamless branching.
That would probably explain it, but I suspect that if Eureka wanted not to do a £23.99 LE with a LE-only disc and go the usual £17.99 LE "Slipcover and booklet are the only limited content" route, they would have selected the people able to allow for such a product positioning. They have enough experience in the market to know what's technically possible or not, and I would have a hard time thinking they simply underwent here whatever limitations the authoring house has.

Finch

#396 Post by Finch » Wed May 31, 2023 10:53 pm

Eureka have added a low stocks page to their website which currently includes the Cinematic Vengeance set, the Caligari 4k and Police Story 4k, Chaney Hunchback, Yes Madam! and the John Ford silent 2 disc set.

therewillbeblus

#397 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 31, 2023 11:06 pm

Can we assume standard editions will remain for all or some of these/what’s the priority?

Finch

#398 Post by Finch » Wed May 31, 2023 11:21 pm

They have issued standard editions in the past so unless they suddenly announce something to the opposite effect I'd assume standard versions will follow. Violent Streets got reissued without the slip but still the booklet.

vsski

#399 Post by vsski » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:28 am

If I remember correctly when it’s an MOC edition the slipcase or in some cases the rigid hard case and book are not reissued, but some type of booklet remains (reduced in volumes in case of the hard case editions). When it’s a Eureka edition the booklet and slipcase are not reissued.

rapta

#400 Post by rapta » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:32 pm

vsski wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:28 am
If I remember correctly when it’s an MOC edition the slipcase or in some cases the rigid hard case and book are not reissued, but some type of booklet remains (reduced in volumes in case of the hard case editions). When it’s a Eureka edition the booklet and slipcase are not reissued.
This is correct - in simpler terms, all MoC releases come with with a booklet as standard, but generally the initial 'Limited Edition' releases will come with a denser booklet (e.g. generally those with a rigid slipbox), whilst Eureka Classics titles will only include booklet/slipcover for the initial print-run and be disc-only afterwards.

These days I tend to go for the MoC slipcovers I want the most, but not going to spend a fortune just to secure them all. I'm glad the booklet is still included and that's really what matters, aside from the disc itself of course.