48 / BD 46-49 Hungarian Masters

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
MichaelB

Re: Hungarian Masters

#26 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Although the Soviet cut honestly isn’t worth watching. Unless you have a hankering to see what an extended Jancsó take looks like with the mid-point nudity hacked out.

The making-of doc, though, is fabulous.

L.A.

#27 Post by L.A. » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Oh yeah, it has that stupid Soviet cut. The two documentaries ARE essential. :wink:

L.A.

#28 Post by L.A. » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm

What I posted about the Hungarian release of The Round-Up (1965) in April 2016. Another great disc but hopefully an upgrade from Second Run in the future.

charal

#29 Post by charal » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:19 am

Ten Thousand Suns, Cold Days, Age of Daydreaming, Lady from Constantinople.... the list of potential Hungarian releases is promising.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:27 pm

Typically insightful comments on the announcement where else (NSFW)

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:39 am

domino harvey wrote:Typically insightful comments on the announcement where else (NSFW)
At the risk of continuing to lower the tone, isn’t that the first naked woman in a Jancsó film who takes her clothes off entirely voluntarily?

Bikey

Re: 48 / BD 46 Hungarian Masters

#32 Post by Bikey » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:51 pm

mhofmann

#33 Post by mhofmann » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Bikey wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:51 pm
Amazon UK pre-order
...and of course it remains unavailable on Amazon for customers from outside the UK, like to many Second Run release pre-orders (and often also post-release). :cry:

Amazon says "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible." but that's a lie...
Any idea what Amazon's reasoning might be here? I assume Second Run is interested in selling this to as many people as possible.

Glowingwabbit

#34 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm

mhofmann wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm
Bikey wrote:
Amazon UK pre-order
...and of course it remains unavailable on Amazon for customers from outside the UK, like to many Second Run release pre-orders (and often also post-release). :cry:

Amazon says "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible." but that's a lie...
Any idea what Amazon's reasoning might be here? I assume Second Run is interested in selling this to as many people as possible.
You should be able to order directly from Second Run. Also DiabolikDVD usually carries their releases as I've gotten several recent ones from them. This particular one isnt available yet but they told me they'd be getting copies

mhofmann

#35 Post by mhofmann » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm
mhofmann wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm
Bikey wrote:
Amazon UK pre-order

You should be able to order directly from Second Run. Also DiabolikDVD usually carries their releases as I've gotten several recent ones from them. This particular one isnt available yet but they told me they'd be getting copies
I'm in Europe, not very far from the UK, so going via Diabolik isn't the most obvious option for me. :) If I order from Second Run directly, it looks to me that they don't do IOSS (or at least I don't see any indication of that), so a huge amount of customs charges and extra flat fees will apply... UK VAT doesn't even seem to be subtracted, as far as I can see, so I would pay VAT twice. So I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Maybe Amazon decides to offer this to non-UK customers before the limited edition is sold out. Who knows.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#36 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:36 pm

Have you tried Rarewaves.com? They won't have this listed yet, but will presumably carry it eventually

Glowingwabbit

#37 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:57 pm

mhofmann wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:08 pm
I'm in Europe, not very far from the UK, so going via Diabolik isn't the most obvious option for me. :) If I order from Second Run directly, it looks to me that they don't do IOSS (or at least I don't see any indication of that), so a huge amount of customs charges and extra flat fees will apply... UK VAT doesn't even seem to be subtracted, as far as I can see, so I would pay VAT twice. So I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Maybe Amazon decides to offer this to non-UK customers before the limited edition is sold out. Who knows.
Apologies I didn't realize you were in Europe. I'll second Swo's recommendation of trying Rarewaves.

What A Disgrace

#38 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:21 am

Arrow Video has it up for pre-order on their own site.

mhofmann

#39 Post by mhofmann » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:21 am
Arrow Video has it up for pre-order on their own site.
Yeah... after the recent Arrow site and customer service changes and various debacles with order cancellations, non-tracked shipping, etc.: No, thanks!

Rarewaves is a good tip, but I don't feel comfortable waiting until they (may) have it available.

Adam X

#40 Post by Adam X » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:36 am

I can recommend Deff.com, with the only caveat being they only ship via courier internationally, so you need to order more than a few items to make it worth the cost.

Not sure if they jump all your tax hurdles, but they do remove VAT.

Ribs

#41 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am

I would… not be worried about a limited edition set from Second Run of Hungarian classics selling out at all quickly. I do not think Second Run’s Eastern European releases, as much as we all love them, are quite as much of a hot ticket item among enthusiasts as you may think.

What A Disgrace

#42 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:33 pm

Does anyone have any experience ordering from Second Run themselves? I pre-ordered my copy from there, and it came out to about $66, which seems a pretty good deal for one of the most interesting releases of the year, but I don't know what to expect in terms of speed or packaging. Its slightly more expensive to order from Amazon UK.

mhofmann

#43 Post by mhofmann » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:32 am

Ribs wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am
I would… not be worried about a limited edition set from Second Run of Hungarian classics selling out at all quickly. I do not think Second Run’s Eastern European releases, as much as we all love them, are quite as much of a hot ticket item among enthusiasts as you may think.
I am not overly worried, but since I own every single Second Run Blu-ray so far and want to continue the streak, I would like to preempt the unlikely case that it does happen more quickly than we think.

There are several other non-limited edition SR Blu-rays that Amazon.co.uk does not ship to mainland Europe customers currently (e.g., Adoption, Before Tonight Is Over, The Silence Before Bach/Mudanza, at the time of writing) or hasn't offered for a long time until weeks after release (e.g., The Fifth Horseman is Fear, many other newer ones). So I'm currently operating under the assumption that they might just not sell this (or future) articles to me, and shopping alternatives aren't great either when looking at aspects like import fees, shipping times, reliability.

Ribs

#44 Post by Ribs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:08 am

Have you tried searching for the same Blu-rays on your native Amazon store and finding the shipping option for the Amazon Global Store? For whatever reason Amazon seems to want to shift people to that option as that’s the main way that most of the international catalog has koved.

RobertB

#45 Post by RobertB » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:04 pm

I'm very much looking forward to this release. And I would like to back up mhofmann's statements. It isn't as easy as I wish to get Second Run Blu-rays to Sweden. Amazon UK often don't ship them to Sweden. Amazon.se doesn't seem to know they exist (not the Hungarian Masters or for that matter Adoption, Before Tonight Is Over, The Silence Before Bach are for sale when I check today). I have been using the Arrow sales to fill up on the discs I can't get from Amazon. So it is a shame to read that the Arrow store seems to be getting worse.

charal

#46 Post by charal » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:11 pm

I’ve had no problems ordering direct from SR. I live in Australia and SR use untracked Royal Mail same as Arrow (despite the fact that Arrow use a tracked service number which is useless after the package leaves the UK. Indicator’s Royal Mail service is much better).
The SE packages can take between 10 to 21 days depending on the flight situation.

Bikey

#47 Post by Bikey » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm

You can always order at our webstore - we ship worldwide.

mhofmann

#48 Post by mhofmann » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:48 pm

Bikey wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm
You can always order at our webstore - we ship worldwide.
Trust me, I'd love to... but do you ship to Europe using IOSS? Otherwise I'll pat VAT twice, plus a significant amount of flat customs handling fees, which makes ordering at shops that don't support IOSS just not worthwhile.

Bikey

#49 Post by Bikey » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:20 pm

"All three films have been restored by the Hungarian National Film Archive and look splendid here. MERRY-GO-ROUND appears to be the first English-friendly release in the correct Academy aspect ratio, CURRENT looks ravishing throughout, and AGNUS DEI may be the best video presentation of a Jancsó film to date."

Michael Brooke reviews in the latest Sight & Sound magazine

Glowingwabbit

#50 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:04 am

Hungarian Masters can be pre-ordered from DiabolikDVD now:

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/hun ... -preorder/