BD 28 Curling

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

BD 28 Curling

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Denis Côté's film will be released on March 30.

• Curling (2010) presented from a brand new HD transfer of the film, approved by the director
• New filmed interview with director Denis Côté.
• May We Sleep Soundly (Que nous nous assoupissions, 2015) - Côté s acclaimed short film.
• Booklet featuring writing by film critic Adam Nayman and Robert McSorley, Executive Director of the Canadian Film Institute.
• Region free Blu-ray (A/B/C)
• Original soundtrack in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio & 2.0 Stereo LPCM (16-bit)
• World premiere on Blu-ray

knives

Re: Forthcoming: Curling

#2 Post by knives » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Firstly, the title of this thread made me laugh because my current roommate is a BCer who loves curling. Secondly, this is amazing. I haven't seen this Cote film yet, but his other ones place him firmly as the best of the Quebecois filmmakers of this most recent generation so it is gratifying if this will bring him a little more of the recognition he deserves in contrast to the grand successes his two main contemporaries have had.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 pm

I remember this being a nice, quiet little film--should be good to revisit

TMDaines

#4 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 pm

His Carcasses is genuinely one of the ten worst films I’ve sat through. One of only seven 1/10 ratings I’ve got on IMDb out of over 2500 titles!

willoneill

#5 Post by willoneill » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:30 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:11 pm
• Booklet featuring writing by ... and Robert McSorley, Executive Director of the Canadian Film Institute.
It's Tom McSorley, not Robert

Bikey

#6 Post by Bikey » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 am

CURLING will now be released on April 13.

Pre-order for just £14.99 at Amazon UK and HMV UK

AidanKing

#7 Post by AidanKing » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:21 am

Cinema Scope magazine had an interesting interview and article about Curling here. If this release is successful, Second Run might want to consider Côté's Vic and Flo Saw a Bear, which Cinema Scope has also covered here.

It looks as if Second Run might be moving towards releasing more recent films which have been overlooked in the UK as the recent advert for Vitalina Varela in Sight and Sound states that Albert Serra's Liberté, which I think would have been a matter of some controversy forty years ago, and Gabriel Mascaro's Divine Love are forthcoming. Maybe Cristi Puiu's Sieranevada and Malmkrog might follow, although I imagine it all depends on licensing costs.
Last edited by AidanKing on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 am

Someone needs to do Mankiewicz's Le bons debarras (Good Riddance).

Bikey

#9 Post by Bikey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 am

Full details of our CURLING release now at our website

Bikey

Re: BD 28 Curling

#10 Post by Bikey » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 am

"it could be classed as an essential purchase... A story that chills and grips in ways that a standard Hollywood thriller can’t manage.
It leaves you with a head full of troubling questions and a desire to see more from this film-maker."

The Geek Show review

Bikey

#11 Post by Bikey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:34 am

"Try to imagine FARGO directed by Béla Tarr"

Slarek at Cine Outsider

therewillbeblus

#12 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 02, 2020 10:04 pm

"Fargo by Bela Tarr" caught my attention though this is more like a mashup of Dogtooth and Psycho by way of Ceylan, distilled of the exploitation in absurdism, or the curtains of horror, and chiseled to the bone of objective anthropological study. I enjoyed how Côté kept us in the dark, revealing information slowly so as to assess this family system with equal parts curious skepticism to our blind spots and empathic compassion for what we can see. There is a deep sadness to the physical and internal retreat the father's fear incites, and a resilience embedded within that very pain, a strength we may not see if not for the intimacy Côté offers us with his camera that would normally deviate our attention and pathologize him in the process. The daughter is used in an interesting way, less as a straightforward character to humanize but as a particle that reflects the consequences of his troubles, and without subjective alignment we feel cascading sympathy. The other characters are fleshed out too and all subtly pronounce the frightening and inviting mysteries of the banal world for a man who defaults to hide but secretly desires to participate, a struggle that spawns enigmatic dysregulation to both us and himself.

There is so much left unsaid but alluded to as possibility that we'll never know, but we do know that there is cold labor in existence for this man, and that may be all we really need to know for this film to work as it wants to. I haven't seen any Côté but if his other films are this good, I'll have to remedy that.

knives

#13 Post by knives » Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 pm

I highly recommend Vic + Flo Saw a Bear as a next step since it features those elements you seem to have enjoyed by the dozens. His documentary Bestiare is my favorite though.

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 02, 2020 10:45 pm

knives wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 pm
His documentary Bestiare is my favorite though.
Wow, even the one-sentence summary on google makes this immediately jump up to the most exciting prospective film on my to-watch list

knives

#15 Post by knives » Sat May 02, 2020 11:02 pm

And it's streaming on Kanopy so that works. I've been trying to figure a good marketing line on him since I've been trying to get him better known for years, but the best I have is as an alternate history Wachowski where they pursued the explicitly gay noir angle with a rustic setting rather than hitching onto city bound scifi. Not as sexy as the real thing unfortunately.

therewillbeblus

#16 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 02, 2020 11:16 pm

I appreciate the analogy, though I'm wondering if you've seen this film and can speak to how it's "explicitly gay?" Going off the one film all I can say is that the brooding discomfort in one's own skin within a greater detached social context - or rather the struggle between - could be indicative of a push/pull experience of being gay in a heterosexual culture externalized as cold and uninviting or frightening, but I could be stretching this to fit that marketing dressing. Either way, it's interesting food for thought.

knives

#17 Post by knives » Sat May 02, 2020 11:22 pm

I haven't seen this one yet so there's that.

knives

#18 Post by knives » Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Finally saw this and while not particularly gay it does continue the noir as characterization effect which is a fantastically engaging way to present emotional distress.

Aunt Peg

#19 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 pm

knives wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 pm
I highly recommend Vic + Flo Saw a Bear as a next step since it features those elements you seem to have enjoyed by the dozens. His documentary Bestiare is my favorite though.
I do think Vic + Flo Saw a Bear and Bestiare are Denis Côté's best films. They would be great editions to the Second Run catalogue.

knives

#20 Post by knives » Wed May 06, 2020 8:38 pm

Boris sans Beatrice is also really great though in a much harder to explain why.

Bikey

#21 Post by Bikey » Thu May 07, 2020 6:26 am

"What we have is definitely provocative cinema. Another amazing choice for Second Run to bring to Blu-ray."
Beaver