Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
beamish14

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4026 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:22 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:11 pm
I'm going to put one foot over the line by posting this here because I think CC will eventually release this.... I am currently watching on a cable channel called Movies!, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. How many cuts and versions of this film are there? Has there ever been a definitive Peckinpah version?

According to Paul Seydor's brilliant and exhaustively-researched The Authentic Death and Contentious Afterlife of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, there are five major versions of the film. There is no truly definitive cut, but the "Turner 1988" version that Peckinpah supposedly kept a copy of in a gutted-out refrigerator is the closest, and it's far and away the best. WB makes that version available for 35mm screenings, thankfully.

Hogfather

#4027 Post by Hogfather » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:47 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:22 pm

According to Paul Seydor's brilliant and exhaustively-researched The Authentic Death and Contentious Afterlife of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, there are five major versions of the film. There is no truly definitive cut, but the "Turner 1988" version that Peckinpah supposedly kept a copy of in a gutted-out refrigerator is the closest, and it's far and away the best. WB makes that version available for 35mm screenings, thankfully.
I know that there are three versions for certain: the theatrical cut, the rough cut that Peckinpah kept, and the TCM cut, which has stuff not included in the rough cut and doesn’t have stuff that is included in the rough cut. What are the other two?

cowboydan

#4028 Post by cowboydan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:58 pm

Did anyone notice that we collectively guessed 3 of the 5 title announcements? That's higher than the average month right? Lots of people guessed Memories of Murder, a couple people guessed Irma Vep, and I was the only one who guessed Masculin Feminin. What a fun game.

beamish14

#4029 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:27 pm

Hogfather wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:47 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:22 pm

I know that there are three versions for certain: the theatrical cut, the rough cut that Peckinpah kept, and the TCM cut, which has stuff not included in the rough cut and doesn’t have stuff that is included in the rough cut. What are the other two?
Cut #4 is a wildly different television version. Cut #5 was, I think, released internationally, but I could but mistaken (I wish I had the book here!)

therewillbeblus

#4030 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:33 pm

cowboydan wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:58 pm
I was the only one who guessed Masculin Feminin.
cowboydan=bressonaire’s Dead Ringers twin

Big Ben

#4031 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:43 pm

You'd think Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid would have had a better release by now but as it stands it's still DVD only in the States. I think it would make for one hell of a release from Criterion. It's certainly no forgotten but I wish people would show it a bit more love. If anything it gave us one of Bob Dylan's most famous songs!

Bressonaire

#4032 Post by Bressonaire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:57 pm

cowboydan=bressonaire’s Dead Ringers twin
Very cute, TWBB. But as long as we're giving credit for guesses, let me point out that CSM126 drew on the New York Sunday Times article and its aftermath, Channel programming, and the zeitgeist to come up with what seemed to me, as soon as I saw it, an almost inevitable deduction. It didn't happen for April, but I expect him to be hailed or vilified for his processing of public information by the end of the year.

therewillbeblus

#4033 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:31 pm

Not trying to hail or vilify anyone, and I'm struggling to see how comparing someone who deduces info well to prophetic in silly ways could carry that connotation, but I'm sorry if you took offense. It's a joke. I genuinely appreciate your rationales behind your choices in your posts, which seems like a fun way to predict based on clues in the absence of newsletter clues/new years drawings, and those long-gone phantom pages

Hogfather

#4034 Post by Hogfather » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:06 pm

This is probably nothing, but considering Criterion’s deal with Netflix it’s beginning to feel more and more likely that Napoleon will come to the collection at some point, especially with this most recent development.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... f-napoleon

Bressonaire

#4035 Post by Bressonaire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Not trying to hail or vilify anyone, and I'm struggling to see how comparing someone who deduces info well to prophetic in silly ways could carry that connotation, but I'm sorry if you took offense. It's a joke. I genuinely appreciate your rationales behind your choices in your posts, which seems like a fun way to predict based on clues in the absence of newsletter clues/new years drawings, and those long-gone phantom pages
My apologies. I meant my posting not as pushback on your comment, to which I did not take offense. It was obviously playful. The poor segue was entirely my fault.

therewillbeblus

#4036 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:52 pm

No worries, classic internet misinterpretation
Hogfather wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:06 pm
This is probably nothing, but considering Criterion’s deal with Netflix it’s beginning to feel more and more likely that Napoleon will come to the collection at some point, especially with this most recent development.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... f-napoleon
Yeah this was discussed in the Napoleon thread and it seems that the jury's out on if it can be shown in the U.S. and Coppola's involvement could muddy the waters for a physical media release as well. However, Coppola was involved in Criterion's release of Rumble Fish, so I could see a world in which the Netflix relationship initiates a clause of agreement, but that's just my aimless musings (which I guess is what this thread is for)

Shrew
The Untamed One

#4037 Post by Shrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Though as mentioned earlier in the Napoleon thread, Coppola has already been involved with the Cinematheque Francais restoration. He did a press conference back in 2015 where they were saying that the score for the restoration would be a rearranged version of Carmine Coppola's score. Of course, at that point it was announced that the restoration would be coming out in 2017, so who knows if the situation has changed. But I would expect that a U.S. home release would come to Criterion, either through Coppola or Netflix.

CSM126

#4038 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm

I look forward to being hailed and/or vilified.

justeleblanc

#4039 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 pm

When I spoke to Criterion's producers at the SCMS conference in Montreal (this would have been 2015), they said they were struggling to find a way to handle the 4:1 widescreen effects. They didn't want to simply go from a 1.33:1 picture to a 4:1 picture as this would make the picture smaller, not bigger. But I suppose they now figure that there are no other good options.

hearthesilence

#4040 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:57 pm

The BFI came up with a pretty cool solution, IMHO. Not entirely practical, but when I was working in school, save for region-locking it would've been very doable as we had several large flatscreens on wheels and a multiple players on rolling carts to boot.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4041 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:33 pm

The only thing I would do differently about the BFI release is put the center panel on Disc 3 so that you could play the movie through to the end without having to remove that disc and place it in the player displaying the right panel.

Also, this isn't perfect given the loss of resolution, but if you are watching on a projector, you could do an extreme zoom at the transition point to avoid the "picture getting smaller" problem, even if that means that part of the film would project on the walls surrounding your screen.

Anyway, it would be nice to have both options

Big Ben

#4042 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 pm

beamish14

#4043 Post by beamish14 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 pm
Restoration Trailer for Mirror
How badly did they fuck up the color timing on this one...?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4044 Post by Drucker » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Not at all?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4045 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:12 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 pm
When I spoke to Criterion's producers at the SCMS conference in Montreal (this would have been 2015), they said they were struggling to find a way to handle the 4:1 widescreen effects. They didn't want to simply go from a 1.33:1 picture to a 4:1 picture as this would make the picture smaller, not bigger. But I suppose they now figure that there are no other good options.
One solution that would never happen for a whole host of perfectly justifiable reasons would be to include an anamorphic encode of the entire movie for users of projector setups who can manually adjust the image geometry, with the Polyvision segments filling the entire 1920x1080 frame and the rest of the movie pillarboxed. Of course this would mean the ~95% of the movie not in Polyvision would be scrunched up to a resolution of just 640x1080, though since I'm talking about a wildly implausible fantasy scenario I could imagine a UHD release, in which case it would be 1280x2160.

therewillbeblus

#4046 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Drucker wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 pm
Restoration Trailer for Mirror
How badly did they fuck up the color timing on this one...?
Not at all?
Yeah my first reaction was that this -thankfully- looks exactly right (even though the previous versions I've seen have an awful image quality for comparison)

FrauBlucher

#4047 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:24 pm

Not sure who you mean by "they" but I have the utmost confidence in MosFilms' restorations

JSC

#4048 Post by JSC » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm

Maybe this has been brought up before, but just out of curiosity, has there been a more recent restoration of Solaris?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4049 Post by Drucker » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:55 pm

JSC wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm
Maybe this has been brought up before, but just out of curiosity, has there been a more recent restoration of Solaris?
Yes, I believe so.

A Tempted Christ

#4050 Post by A Tempted Christ » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:16 pm

Did any one notice that they sort of confirmed this a month ago? They posted a Tarkovsky stamp on their Instagram and someone in the comments asked "Mirror 2021?" and they replied "Yes".

Also I'm glad my semi-prediction on another thread came true. Considering the color of the sky in the poster, It seems like Criterion has taken some liberty with their release of Mirror.