Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#2551 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:03 pm

soundchaser wrote:I'm confused as to why the characters' names on One Night in Miami... are so much larger than the actors'. Makes it look like a documentary.
It does look like a pure marketing trick, a way to manage to have more popular names on the cover in big bold font.

dwk

#2552 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm

The original poster does something similar

Ribs

#2553 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 pm

It's because the premise of the movie is "these four legends were together" - and the lettering is framed almost like a prize fight poster, even if the movies isn't really like "they're all fighting each other." It's not "these actors are together," it's the people they play that's what will draw people in (as much as I like the actors, not many people are desperately seeking new Aldis Hodge vehicles).

Shrew
The Untamed One

#2554 Post by Shrew » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Kracker wrote:Jeez, they’re inching closer to just taking the month of December off
During the 2000s they tended to have only 1 or 2 releases in December, or maybe a gift box set collecting previous releases (like the Great Adaptations box or the 4 Samurai Classics by Kurosawa box). December has historically been a bad month to release retail products (though Im sure online shopping has improved sales somewhat).

Matt

#2555 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:42 pm

Manufacturing pipelines are very backed up right now. Paper, printing, shipping, and warehousing shortages are crippling the book industry, and I’m sure physical media companies are being affected by this too. Better to announce a light slate than to have product delays and shortages during the holidays (which might happen anyway).