Dot Com Dom

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4476 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:11 pm

You’d think they’d release Les Miserables at least

Walter Kurtz

#4477 Post by Walter Kurtz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Dear JM,

1---Okay funny haha pretending this is April 1 and not September 15 and trolling us with that December slate.
2---I am sad about the Klein delay.
3---I’m sure you are aware of the Delon doc that has behind the scenes location footage of Mr. Klein... and I'm sure your VP in Charge of Finding Cool Shit Like This has not been sleeping on the job and has actually found cool stuff like this seeing as how it’s on youtube and a few minutes of footage can’t cost you that much.
4---I’m also sure that the delay in releasing Klein is Delon;s availability for a lengthy interview that will include cool stuff like the interviewer tossing a Samourai hat and then a Klein hat at AD and asking him which hat is more meaningful for him right now. If you are having a hard time pinning AD down just fly me the fuck over there and I'll get the interview.

Best, Kurtz

dwk

#4478 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm
... Amazon had a deal with Lionsgate prior to this, right? I'm guessing Amazon didn't like the deal with them...
Well, what company that has signed an output deal with Lionsgate ultimately ends up happy they signed an output deal with Lionsgate?

Amazing Goose

#4479 Post by Amazing Goose » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:38 pm

That New York Times article a few months back about there being so few films by black directors must have really hit a nerve. We're getting one or two a month now--not that I'm complaining, I'm just surprised at how quickly the change happened. And, granted, there could be a number of factors involved as well--largely societal movements beyond that article, maybe they had a lot of these in the queue for a while decided to move them up, etc.

Maltic

#4480 Post by Maltic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm
They already released an Amazon title, Cold War

I thought that one had a fairly traditional release cycle for a Europudding somewhat-hit

Walter Kurtz

#4481 Post by Walter Kurtz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:43 pm

Maybe I'm just crazy but I can remember a day when a film like Klein would be considered terribly inclusive.

petitdelon

#4482 Post by petitdelon » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:38 pm

tolbs1010 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:41 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:11 pm
What happened to that December release of Klein we were promised
Yeah, where is it?! (grumble grumble)

Maybe they are beefing up the release by getting rights to Hideo Nakata's Losey documentary, The Man With Four Names, which it seems no one has seen but features a full lineup of close Losey collaborators. The Studio Canal release has only a couple of film-critic interiews/commentary. Been holding off on buying the SC release in anticipation of a CC release.
Does CC ever use SC extras and add subtitles to them? Only one I can think off top of my head is Chambre 12, Hotel de Suède which was on the StudioCanal release and only added to the Criterion release of Breathless with the 2016 reprint (perhaps earlier, not sure). I ask because there's a beefier StudioCanal release of Monsieur Klein in France, a collector's edition, which has way more extras than the meagre UK release. Unfortunately, only the feature is subtitled on the French collector's edition.

EDIT: Just noticed that Hotel de Suède had always been on the Breathless release – so scratch that :D

bdsweeney

#4483 Post by bdsweeney » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 pm

I've not seen One Night in Miami, so I can't comment one way or the other about its qualities. But the inclusion of Kasi Lemmons in the extras makes me think ... release Eve's Bayou already goddamnit!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4484 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 pm

That one was rumoured to be coming right???

Also, on another note, I had somehow forgot she was in Silence of the Lambs.

Matt

#4485 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 pm
Is anyone really excited about King’s film though?
On this forum? Of course not. But I don’t doubt that it will sell well for Criterion. It’s a fine, handsomely made play adaptation that was widely acclaimed across industry and critics awards groups, made by a Black woman first-time director at the top of her acting career. It’s certainly of greater general and artistic interest than some of the IFC stuff they’ve released this century.

dwk

#4486 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 pm
I don't think so. It is a Lionsgate title, so, at the time of the article, it wasn't likely to happen, but Lionsgate does seem more open to licensing titles.

omegadirective

#4487 Post by omegadirective » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:38 am

I'm excited for One Night in Miami.
I'm disappointed it won't be a 4K release, but the movie is fantastic.
Kemp Powers is a name to watch as well.
This and Soul were the best two films of last year.

black&huge

#4488 Post by black&huge » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:29 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 pm
cdnchris wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 pm
I don't think so. It is a Lionsgate title, so, at the time of the article, it wasn't likely to happen, but Lionsgate does seem more open to licensing titles.
We'll finally know that Lionsgate is fully comfortable licensing out when they let Criterion release Dogville.

yoloswegmaster

#4489 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 am

George Feltenstein was on this podcast where he was asked about home video releases for the following titles:

Petulia(1968)
The Devils
Pennies from Heaven(1981)
Twice Upon a Time
Amadeus 4K
After Hours
The Mosquito Coast
Funny Farm (already released by WB)
Men Don't Leave
M. Butterfly (already released by Shout)
The Butcher Boy(1997)

He revealed that some of the titles on this list have been licensed to Criterion and Shout Factory. With Feltenstein saying that he is very interested in doing Pennies from Heaven and that Twice Upon a Time could be a possible future release, I could see After Hours and The Devils being the titles that have been licensed to Criterion.

therewillbeblus

#4490 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 am

Petulia would be amazing coming from either label

Big Ben

#4491 Post by Big Ben » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:57 am

I'm under the impression that After Hours has been rumored to be coming from Criterion for a long time now. But The Devils? That would be an absolute victory for anyone to finally snatch from Warner Brothers' absurdly restrictive clutches. The only thing that I really want to know is which version will be getting released.

beamish14

#4492 Post by beamish14 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 am
George Feltenstein was on this podcast where he was asked about home video releases for the following titles:

He revealed that some of the titles on this list have been licensed to Criterion and Shout Factory. With Feltenstein saying that he is very interested in doing Pennies from Heaven and that Twice Upon a Time could be a possible future release

Men Don't Leave and Twice Upon a Time would be wonderful. The latter was released with a surprising degree of effort from the WB Archive, but the two versions of it differ in more than just their audio tracks; there are some minor scene additions here and there. i'm not holding my breath, though, given that Criterion turned down The Plague Dogs, a decision that still stuns me.

Along with Amadeus, I hope the Zaentz Company licenses At Play in the Field of the Lord, which has reverted to them from Universal

dwk

#4493 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am

Last week, on the same show, they called him and asked about The Devils and, if I remember correctly, at best, he said that with changes in management, it might, possibly, happen. So I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I do remember the time before that, when he was on the entire episode, he mentioned that Criterion wants, and Philip Kaufman wants them to, release The Unbearable Lightness of Being. So now that the Zaentz Company has renewed with WB, I'd expect that.

Pavel

#4494 Post by Pavel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm

dwk wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am
he mentioned that Criterion wants, and Philip Kaufman wants them to, release The Unbearable Lightness of Being. So now that the Zaentz Company has renewed with WB, I'd expect that.
You mean an upgrade?

CSM126

#4495 Post by CSM126 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 pm

Pavel wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm
dwk wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am
he mentioned that Criterion wants, and Philip Kaufman wants them to, release The Unbearable Lightness of Being. So now that the Zaentz Company has renewed with WB, I'd expect that.
You mean an upgrade?
I would hope so, because the alternative is a VHS downgrade and that just seems silly.

Walter Kurtz

#4496 Post by Walter Kurtz » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:58 pm

omegadirective wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:38 am
I'm excited for One Night in Miami.
I'm disappointed it won't be a 4K release, but the movie is fantastic.
Kemp Powers is a name to watch as well.
This and Soul were the best two films of last year.
Poetry month! I thought I'd respond to yours with haiku.

‘Night in Miami’
the movie is fantastic.
but no Monsieur Klein

dwk

#4497 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:02 pm

Pavel wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm
You mean an upgrade?
Yes. I believe the film got a 4K restoration a couple of years back and that has yet to be released on Blu-ray.

Calvin

#4498 Post by Calvin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:18 pm

One of these days, someone will ask Feltenstein about when we're finally going to get a restoration for Ford's 7 Women.

chrisandy007

#4499 Post by chrisandy007 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:58 pm

According to Bill Hunt, Amadeus is slated for 4K down the pike from Criterion.
Last edited by chrisandy007 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4500 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 pm

Are you referring to this from The Digital Bits website?
We’re also hearing that a new 4K restoration of Miloš Forman’s Amadeus (1984) might be coming in the months ahead from Criterion, licensed to them by Warner Bros. This would include at least the theatrical version, which Forman now considers to be his official director’s cut. (What’s been commonly known as the director’s cut is apparently considered by Forman to be a “DVD Cut” only.)
Why does he only say "might"?