How Now Brown Blu-rays

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Glowingwabbit

Re: How Now Brown Blu-rays

#501 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks for the info everyone posted. I discovered I had 8 on the list without BVDL, and 6 were at various stages of browning.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#502 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 pm

I sent in my email yesterday with the pictures of the disc and I got a reply today, saying I'm in the queue and that the replacement will be shipped in 2 to 3 weeks. So sounds like it's a pretty quick process.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#503 Post by Brian C » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Yeah I got mine shipped out within a couple days. Criterion’s customer service really has been second to none in my experiences dealing with them.

Gregory

#504 Post by Gregory » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:28 pm

Same here. For years I thought I'd somehow been spared from the disc rot that affected this run of releases but then checked several more discs and realized that M and Bigger Than Life wouldn't play through. Criterion's handling of the replacement was so efficient and professional. I was ready for it to take three weeks or more (which I could have handled, of course) but the replacements came faster than just about any other mail I've received this year.
I've only requested one or two other replacements from Criterion in all these years. One of them they fouled up a bit: not noticing a few of my patient emails but later, when I was about to give up, responding and sending me the thing. So, because I've mentioned that experience some years ago, I'm duty-bound to give them all the points on this recent one.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#505 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:48 pm

I got mine within a week, a lot quicker than they said it'd be sent. Which reminds me I have to fast-forward through it to make sure it works before ditching the old one!

omegadirective

#506 Post by omegadirective » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:40 pm

Is the Monterey Pop that is potentially affected the first blu ray box set, or the first solo blu ray release? Or both?

hearthesilence

#507 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:24 am

omegadirective wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:40 pm
Is the Monterey Pop that is potentially affected the first blu ray box set, or the first solo blu ray release? Or both?
The box set and the first standalone Blu-ray use the same physical disc pressing when they came out, so yes, both. (However, the later Blu-ray has a newer 4K restoration and it's a definite upgrade.)

TMDaines

#508 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:04 am

Anyone with a faulty Letter Never Sent disc? Mine falls over at around 50:00 minutes in any media player. I can't jump to anything around that point for at least a further five minutes. I can jump to the final part of the film though. My disc has no real noticeable browning, but is showing the same playback symptoms as the discs listed here. Maybe some others of you should check this disc too?

I will need to check my other potentially suspect discs later tonight and contact Criterion with one batch.

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#509 Post by Lemdog » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:02 am

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:04 am
Anyone with a faulty Letter Never Sent disc? Mine falls over at around 50:00 minutes in any media player. I can't jump to anything around that point for at least a further five minutes. I can jump to the final part of the film though. My disc has no real noticeable browning, but is showing the same playback symptoms as the discs listed here. Maybe some others of you should check this disc too?

I will need to check my other potentially suspect discs later tonight and contact Criterion with one batch.
This happened to me as well. Had to be a disc issue as I tried it in three players. Want to say it was at the 47 min mark.

therewillbeblus

#510 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:14 pm

I don't know if this is new information, but for what it's worth, the latest C&P email from Criterion regarding the OOP discs they'll replace for bronzing/playback issues is limited to Days of Heaven, Howards End, and the original Le Cercle Rouge and Pierrot le Fou blus

hearthesilence

#511 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:49 pm

Just noticed the outer edge of my New York Stories Blu-ray (the first Blu-ray release) seems to be browning or bronzing, but it had no problems playing through Scorsese and Woody Allen's segment. Anybody with this disc notice the same thing?

Peter McM

#512 Post by Peter McM » Tue May 02, 2023 2:13 pm

Pardon if not exactly on topic (couldn't find a thread I thought suitable); if I acquire a second hand Criterion from someplace like my local Half Price Books that's missing its insert, is it possible to request one?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#513 Post by swo17 » Tue May 02, 2023 2:16 pm

If it's in print you can probably get one from Criterion. They may charge you $5 for it though

Gregory

#514 Post by Gregory » Tue May 02, 2023 3:50 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:49 pm
Just noticed the outer edge of my New York Stories Blu-ray (the first Blu-ray release) seems to be browning or bronzing, but it had no problems playing through Scorsese and Woody Allen's segment. Anybody with this disc notice the same thing?
I also have the Mill Creek release, and it seems fine.