Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
fiendishthingy

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4601 Post by fiendishthingy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Luciano Emmer's Girl in the Window, which was just added to the Criterion Channel as part of the Italian Neorealism collection, opens with Criterion and Janus logos.

Finch

#4602 Post by Finch » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 pm

As they had no qualms about the shit eating in Salo, Pink Flamingo ought to be okay. I wasn't a fan of Desperate Living but it deserves a release as much as his other films. Who has Pecker in the US? Cry Baby is with Kino (which they'll hopefully entrust to whoever handled their early UHDs when the encoding was good).

therewillbeblus

#4603 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:43 pm

Desperate Living is indeed good (and would be the last welcome Waters on blu, for me) but outside of its other pleasures that seem to be less homogeneously-adored amongst Waters' fanbase, it's worth owning if only to have the opportunity to watch the first ten minutes on repeat. The opening bit is probably Waters' greatest work.

ChunkyLover

#4604 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:01 pm

Some user on Blu-Ray dot come is claiming Criterion is going to release "After Hours" (they claim the artwork is being worked on currently), "Barton Fink" (the Kino Lorber Insider even claimed that they still had the rights to BF for another few years and I'd be very surprised if Criterion somehow might of gotten 4K rights), "Pulp Fiction" 4K, a spaghetti western, a Brazilian director box set, and a Scorsese 4K (that isn't "After Hours") in 2022. Any rumblings or credible evidence to these (I am aware that AF has been long rumored)? I think it's BS because they also claim Kino are going to release "Eyes Wide Shut" on 4K.

yoloswegmaster

#4605 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:16 pm

If this is true (which I seriously doubt), I could see the Scorsese 4K title being Raging Bull considering that a 4K restoration was just shown recently, as well as Kino Lorber has denied having it as a part of their deal with MGM.

EDIT: Here are the claims that this guy is making:
  • Two previously released box set upgrades from France; one from blu to 4k and from dvd to blu possibly 4k
  • Contempt and Le Cercle Rouge
  • two more French titles: one from a director who doesn't have a film in the collection and is very controversial, the other is an upgrade from an eclipse set getting a standalone.
  • 3 Netflix titles, all from North American directors (one might be controversial, though not due to its content
  • Titles from howard hawks, paul schrader, monte hellman, and david gordon green
  • Homicide upgrade
  • As Good As It Gets Release
  • Couple of Mexican "horror" films; one of which is from the 40's and the first adaptation of the bette davis starring Dead Ringer and another from the same director from the 60's.
Last edited by yoloswegmaster on Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#4606 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:23 pm

I'll take a Glauber Rocha box set and Eyes Wide Shut in 4K please, the rest can be false

Calvin

#4607 Post by Calvin » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Kino are planning on Glauber Rocha releases but I suppose if this is true then it could be Nelson Pereira dos Santos

yoloswegmaster

#4608 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:30 pm

It could also be Babenco.

Roscoe

#4609 Post by Roscoe » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:39 pm

No definite word, but Hawks' TWENTIETH CENTURY was released in a lovely Blu-Ray a while back from I think Indicator, and I'd be very glad for a Criterion release.

As for RAGING BULL, yes please.

dwk

#4610 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Criterion's Sony release tend to be both the US and UK. In fact I can't think of one that has been released in the US by Criterion and the UK by another boutique. So that would pretty much rule out Twentieth Century. (Just to be clear, that poster is a troll, who is posting nonsense alongside some known rumors and pretty common speculation.)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4611 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:01 pm

I'm not fully convinced. Some of these titles seem like good fantasy. Some seem inevitable (After Hours), but I can't see the current Criterion willingly releasing something like Pulp Fiction with a huge "Executive Producer Harvey Weinstein" credit in the opening. It's nice to dream though! The spaghetti western could be Monte Hellman's China 9, Liberty 37, a film Warner has been sitting on forever. Or even Once Upon a Time in the West, a major film that could use an upgrade, though have Criterion released any Paramount titles since The Furies? I'd love a Homicide upgrade, but again, felt like Criterion is less interested in Mamet since his conversion to conservatism.

Also Warner Bros. seems to have so much quality control over their library. They've only licensed two titles to excellent labels like Arrow. I just can't see them handing their titles off to a company like Kino who does quick releases with useless commentaries.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4612 Post by cdnchris » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:04 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:16 pm
  • 3 Netflix titles, all from North American directors (one might be controversial, though not due to its content
Michael Bay's long overdue return into the collection confirmed with 6 Underground

ChunkyLover

#4613 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
If this is true (which I seriously doubt), I could see the Scorsese 4K title being Raging Bull considering that a 4K restoration was just shown recently, as well as Kino Lorber has denied having it as a part of their deal with MGM.
Yeah, I'd be very surprised if Miramax sub-licensed "Pulp Fiction".

EDIT: Here are the claims that this guy is making:
  • Two previously released box set upgrades from France; one from blu to 4k and from dvd to blu possibly 4k
  • Contempt and Le Cercle Rouge
  • two more French titles: one from a director who doesn't have a film in the collection and is very controversial, the other is an upgrade from an eclipse set getting a standalone.
  • Titles from howard hawks, paul schrader, monte hellman, and david gordon green
  • Homicide upgrade
  • As Good As It Gets Release
  • Couple of Mexican "horror" films; one of which is from the 40's and the first adaptation of the bette davis starring Dead Ringer and another from the same director from the 60's.
[/quote]

Now they're also claiming one film from This Criterion Channel collection will be coming to disc.
dwk wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm
Criterion's Sony release tend to be both the US and UK. In fact I can't think of one that has been released in the US by Criterion and the UK by another boutique.
The only one I can think of is "Watermelon Man" (not to mention the possibility of "California Split").
(Just to be clear, that poster is a troll, who is posting nonsense alongside some known rumors and pretty common speculation.)
The Kino "Eyes Wide Shut" pretty confirmed my suspicion.

yoloswegmaster

#4614 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:19 pm

The user is also claiming that a comprehensive boxset featuring all of the films of a Japanese director (not Kurosawa or Ozu) are coming. To be honest, this is 99% likely to be complete BS but it's not like there has been any major Criterion news lately, so I guess I'll entertain this.

EDIT: Also a Lars Von Trier title is being released (not The Kingdom or Dancer in the Dark).
Last edited by yoloswegmaster on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4615 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:22 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:19 pm
The user is also claiming that a comprehensive boxset featuring all of the films of a Japanese director (not Kurosawa or Ozu) are coming.
My guess would be Juzo Itami as they were all up on Filmstruck with the Janus logo and could easily be in a set that's not too massive, but again, I am totally not convinced.

CSM126

#4616 Post by CSM126 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:30 pm

Well, if the Trier one is true I could see it being Idiots, which is a dogme film and would make sense after Festen

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4617 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:11 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Couple of Mexican "horror" films; one of which is from the 40's and the first adaptation of the bette davis starring Dead Ringer and another from the same director from the 60's.
This one is easy, the '40s film is La otra with Dolores del Rio and the '60s film from the same director would be Macario, the only one of Roberto Gavaldón's '60s films that I would say is even horror-adjacent. Both have recent digital restorations via the Filmoteca of the National Autonomous University of Mexico.

FrauBlucher

#4618 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm

ChunkyLover wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:01 pm
"Barton Fink" (the Kino Lorber Insider even claimed that they still had the rights to BF for another few years and I'd be very surprised if Criterion somehow might of gotten 4K rights)
The Insider was very specific about Kino having exclusive bluray rights. Does that mean Criterion would release a 4k only release. It doesn't seem like their M.O. But who knows. Maybe the Coens are pushing their older films towards Criterion

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4619 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Considering they’ve released at least one title on Blu that has a current in-print Blu edition from Criterion (though from Universal, not Fox), I wouldn’t be surprised if KL’s rights are non-exclusive. The Blu-ray.com leaker may just be trolling, but the sheer number of clues and hints, not all of which seem intuitive to Criterion (which ironically makes them more plausible, as they aren’t necessarily what someone lying would make up), means we’ll know soon enough whether to believe the lot once some of these come to fruition or don’t

ChunkyLover

#4620 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:57 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm
The Insider was very specific about Kino having exclusive bluray rights. Does that mean Criterion would release a 4k only release.
I'd be very surprised if Fox even had a new master of "Barton Fink", let alone a 4K master, that was done before Fox's restoration schedule was put to a halt. Considering "Miller's Crossing" is going to be the same master as Fox's previous Blu, I doubt that Criterion would be allowed to do a new in-house master. Also, as much as I like the film, I don't see "Barton Fink" being a "4K worthy" title on it's own.

dwk

#4621 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:21 pm

ChunkyLover wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 pm
Now they're also claiming one film from This Criterion Channel collection will be coming to disc.

The only one I can think of is "Watermelon Man" (not to mention the possibility of "California Split").
The Blu-ray for Angst has recently gone OOP, but I'm not sure if it is something Criterion would release. However, a release of In the Cut seems possible.

Completely forgot about Watermelon Man

Pavel

#4622 Post by Pavel » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:07 pm

The Japanese filmmaker set clue may refer to Kazuo Hara, since I think Janus have the rights to a lot of them (if not all)

Pavel

#4623 Post by Pavel » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:14 pm

Oh, also the DVD set of French films supposedly scheduled for a Blu upgrade might be the Louis Malle set. As for the Eclipse upgrade, maybe Wooden Crosses

Ribs

#4624 Post by Ribs » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:40 pm

The implication of the supposed post is clearly supposed to be Three Colors 4K and Antoine Doinel as the Blu maybe 4K. However, this post is clearly complete nonsense and not worth discussing whatsoever and any basis in reality is clearly lucky guesswork. Remember how bc someone who said La Dolce Vita was coming also said Lana Del Ray would get a collection for some reason took that as credible?

ryannichols7

#4625 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:50 pm

guys why would their first Japanese director focused boxset be anyone that's not Kurosawa or Ozu, no offense. those sets are dedicated to bigger name directors, unless it's like a trilogy or so

it's wild how few hints or anything from CC that we get anyway nowadays that this poster is honestly our biggest source of entertainment