Criterion and UHD

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
denti alligator

Re: Criterion and UHD

#676 Post by denti alligator » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:49 pm

No Feb UHD titles is a bit disappointing. I guess they need to see how the first titles sell?

flyonthewall2983

#677 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:04 pm

I wouldn’t put it past them to delay some of the releases like they did for Uncut Gems so to get the 4K discs ready. What I’m curious about is if they have the juice with the other major studios to do 4K releases, especially Disney and the Fox titles.

flyonthewall2983

#678 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:59 pm

The 4K on Mulholland Drive was good. Compared to other discs, I don’t put it in the top tier of the really mind-blowing clarity I’ve seen elsewhere this year but to my eyes the margin for error to screw something this beautiful up is small. I didn’t watch the previous Blu-ray so I can’t compare the two but for a company’s first release in this new format it ain’t bad.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#679 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Potemkine just released Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy and The Double Life of Véronique on UHD. These films would / could look spectacular in HDR. Maybe the French subtitles only release from Potemkine could be an indication that a UHD upgrade is coming from Criterion? A very obvious choice, indeed.

senseabove

#680 Post by senseabove » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:16 pm

I think Potemkine rarely if ever include English subs, so I'd say their absence should not be considered evidence of any impending other-territory releases, but given the popularity of Kieslowski and the availability of the masters, I'd be shocked if at least the trilogy didn't get the UHD treatment from Criterion sooner rather than later.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#681 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:33 am

There's also a 30th anniversary coming up in 2023, so...

senseabove

#682 Post by senseabove » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:22 pm

The Red Shoes is reportedly shipping direct from Criterion in advance of next week's release, and still there's not a single review...

yoloswegmaster

#683 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:31 pm

Not really surprising as reviews for the boutique labels have been appearing later rather than earlier lately thanks to COVID. There haven't been any reviews up for any of the other December titles yet, so there is no cause for concern. Hell, One Night in Miami was just released 2 days ago and I don't think I've seen a single review for that.

senseabove

#684 Post by senseabove » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:41 pm

Not really "concerned," just impatient. I expect, of those two releases, one of them is just sliiiiiightly more highly anticipated than the other.

EddieLarkin

#685 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:31 am

If Criterion do rerelease Three Colours then you can expect one hell of a debate over the colour timing:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=92

Blue has the biggest change but it's been pointed out it's now far more in line with Idziak's work on Veronique and Dekalog 5.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#686 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:40 am

The previous masters did look quite neutralised, so I doubt they should be taken as any reference, but it seems those comparisons are controversial mostly because of the difference vs the previous masters rather than the end results (which do look to bear the Hiventy touch that have been seen on other restorations but which don't totally seem out of place here, especially when taking into account the 35mm print shown in the small restoration video provided by Potemkine).

black&huge

#687 Post by black&huge » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:31 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:22 pm
The Red Shoes is reportedly shipping direct from Criterion in advance of next week's release, and still there's not a single review...
I would chalk it up to the Christmas Crunch aka holiday schedules generally being hectic from reviewer big or small but my copy from best buy arrives today

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#688 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:09 am

What about Clouzot's Wages of Fear? BFI released the new 4K remaster which premiered at Cannes a couple of years ago, and not only did it blow the older Criterion master way out of the water, it also added an additional 5 minutes of film. If the rights can be sorted out, it would be a no brainer for UHD. The restoration is also one of the very best of an older movie that I have ever seen.

Ribs

#689 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:27 am

I mean, there are tons of movies I assume Criterion would like the chance to do a new edition of, but I would assume we’ll see the titles that have already appeared elsewhere, like La Haine, Breathless, Three Colors, more then other foreign titles that might not have HDR masters at the ready.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#690 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:43 pm

Ribs wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:27 am
I mean, there are tons of movies I assume Criterion would like the chance to do a new edition of, but I would assume we’ll see the titles that have already appeared elsewhere, like La Haine, Breathless, Three Colors, more then other foreign titles that might not have HDR masters at the ready.
Why, if I may ask? Up until now they have done the exact opposite, releasing only titles that had NOT appeared elsewhere on UHD.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#691 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:03 pm

Depends how you look at it.

The Piano is a brand new 4k restoration anyway so it'll be available for UHD for those wanting it, Citizen Kane is on UHD elsewhere via Warner, Mulholland Dr and Le cercle rouge by Canal, and Uncut Gems pretty much isn't released physically in many places to begin with. Menace II Society most likely just is a question of licencing possible for Criterion and not many others elsewhere, just like several of their BD releases.

That actually only leaves a few titles that seem counter-intuitive, like The Red Shoes and A Hard Day's Night.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#692 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:23 pm

I don't follow your logic with Uncut and Menace. In my view they are exactly physical releases exclusive to Criterion, just like The Irishman, etc. You're right about Le cercle rouge, though, but Criterion premiered both Citizen and Mulholland on UHD, so I wouldn't say that they were "already available elsewhere"? And even if I did, the score, as of now, would still be 5 exclusive titles (Uncut, Menace, Red Shoes, Piano, Hard Day's) vs. 3 available elsewhere (Citizen, Mulholland, Cercle). That's not exactly supporting the idea that they'll be releasing titles already available.

By the way, doesn't the Studio Canal titles mark the first time that Criterion have been able to re(release) titles licensed from SC? Many of the SC titles in the collection have famously not been upgraded to blu yet, but maybe there's now a chance we'll see the famous spine #1 on UHD in the future?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#693 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:46 pm

There isn't even a full month between the US and European releases of Citizen Kane and Mulholland Dr. These are pretty much simultaneous releases, ie not exclusive or counter-intuitive.

Uncut is quite exclusive, since Criterion are basically the only ones managing to releases movies released otherwise solely on Netflix.
Menace II Society is a Warner deal, and is exclusive to Criterion not because of Criterion but Warner not wanting to sub-licence movies elsewhere and/or to anyone else.

My point was about Criterion simply picking up titles with already existing HDR 4k masters, which is a different prism than exclusivity.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#694 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:00 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:46 pm
My point was about Criterion simply picking up titles with already existing HDR 4k masters, which is a different prism than exclusivity.
Now I follow you, I think. What you're saying is that Criterion won't release Wages of Fear unless TF1 (who did the 4K restoration) has prepared a HDR master already?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#695 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:37 pm

Not necessarily (and I believe this one was done in HDR anyway), just that it's likely to be easier for Criterion to use already available 4k HDR restorations than use older 4k stuff and add a HDR pass on them, like they seem to have done for The Red Shoes. And since these masters are already available, it means they're mechanically more likely to have been released elsewhere too (or are soon going to be).

rrenault

#696 Post by rrenault » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:10 am

Would Criterion have issues securing the rights to the current HDR master of Breathless, considering it's a StudioCanal restoration and SC have absolutely nothing to do with the film in North America? I was wondering if that would be a stumbling block to a Criterion UHD of Breathless happening until a second HDR master is produced for the American market. With respect to Mulholland Dr. they still seem to have a piece of the North American pie.

Ribs

#697 Post by Ribs » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:49 am

No, the new restoration has played in the US for Rialto so seems to be available if the relevant parties want it. I know we all know of examples where things like this don’t happen but I feel like oftentimes a lot of these studios get along better with each other then common consensus and are willing to figure out what’s best for everyone without much of a hassle.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#698 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 am

Yes, it's probably available but not on the very top of the list for Criterion (though who knows, maybe it'll pop within the next 3 months !).

ryannichols7

#699 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:21 pm

Canal has definitely shown they'll play ball with CC nowadays given that 2 of their first 8 UHDs have come through them. what I could see happening is another Mulholland situation where Canal had nothing to do with Criterion's initial release of Breathless, but would get credited/their logo on the back this time since the restoration came from them.

I'm sure Breathless is one that will come fairly soonish, they've made no secret it's one of their biggest sellers, and was one of the earlier BD upgrades and even got a dual format 'upgrade'! I don't see it before the return of Contempt, however, a movie they likely really want back in print

FrauBlucher

#700 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:11 am

Finch wrote:The other upside I see from Kino putting some Criterion BD titles out in 4k first is that, provided they don't fuck up the encode or other aspects of video and audio (never mind that Criterion's own 4k QC has been a bit of a howler too), it frees Criterion up to do something else in 4k (The Leopard would be most welcome, for example) instead of something as unfunny as Some Like It Hot.
I totally agree. I found the first 11 selections by Criterion to be very interesting and not what many expected. The only one that seemed like a sure fire choice was The Red Shoes. I totally expect 1 or 2 more of the Powell and Pressburger films to get a UHD upgrade. The rest were somewhat pleasant surprises. For All Mankind is a brilliant choice. I see more of those kind of UHD releases by them, like Blast of Silence in UHD would be out of left field. We do know that it's getting an upgrade. So, who knows! Le cercle rouge is a good indication some more of the Studio Canals coming back will be UHDs. My prediction is Contempt will be next. The Melville and Godard OOPs seem to have priority in returning to the Collection.

The two that really interests me are Citizen Kane and Double Indemnity. It's clear that the major studios will take a very limited approach to their classic Hollywood libraries. Warners only seems to be interested in their technicolor films for UHD releases. It will not surprise me that a UHD Casablanca will be released by Criterion. Universal will only give their Hitchcocks and Monsters the UHD treatment. It seems everything else is available. Could Winchester '73 get a UHD release? A good choice for a western to get the UHD treatment. Fox/Disney will be interesting to see what happens with them. Criterion does have a good relationship with Disney. I could see Criterion wanting to acquire something like Laura or The Grapes of Wrath, or an upgrade of My Darling Clementine, which would be another top choice for a western. Criterion seems to be interested in the iconic films from that era which is more accessible to them now.

And then Bergman, Kurosawa and Fellini should eventually enter the UHD column.