Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4776 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:08 pm

They probably just realized that Americans hate cures, and so scrapped their release plans

Finch

#4777 Post by Finch » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:19 pm

That's my tea spilled all over my keyboard. ^^^

If they're saving Cure for October, so be it, as long as it's a UHD.

Hogfather

#4778 Post by Hogfather » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:34 am

Vegeta84 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm
Hogfather wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:17 pm
Vegeta84 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:48 pm
I do wonder what's going on with Cure. Criterion usually releases their theatrical showings on disc a few months after their theatrical release. Cure was October and Miracle in Milan was December and is already getting a release. Hope there aren't any unforeseen issues occurring.
I mean, The Goalie’s Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (and presumably several other Wim Wenders films) was restored in 4K back in 2015, toured by Criterion, and still hasn’t been released yet. I think their releases depend on what seems the most exciting to them in the moment (like titles newly available after signing a new deal) or at least nearest to completion.
Interesting, and scary at the same time. I had assumed it would be released soon after it's theatrical showing since they went out of their way with the trailer, poster, etc. Now, I'm having my doubts, but I do hope it's not that far out.
I'm not too worried. After all, Until the End of the World was only released in late 2019, which must have been at least four years of Criterion just sitting on it. There's a lot of stuff that Criterion has but hasn't released: The Other Side of the Wind, the late Chaplin shorts, most of Kiarostami's work, and a bunch of films that they've been working on with the Czech National Film Archive. In more recent memory, Janus is only showing Mississippi Masala in theaters now after evidence it was coming around a year ago. Just a few months ago they released Devi and upgraded Written on the Wind after keeping them in their back pockets for YEARS. A big part of all this is probably that Criterion just has too many films and not enough resources to release them as quickly as we might crave. Still, they are working on these films.

MV88

#4779 Post by MV88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:12 am

They definitely have a lot of films that are still waiting for a release after a relatively long time, but I do wonder about their process for prioritizing and scheduling. Devi was indeed sitting in the vault for years before they finally released it last year, but as much as I adore that film (it’s one of my all-time favorites), I’m not exactly surprised that it wasn’t a top priority for an ASAP release given that most people don’t seem to regard it as top-tier Ray, and even then, I’m not sure if Ray is even one of the “hottest” filmmakers at the moment in terms of where current interest among Criterion buyers is (I could be totally wrong about that and would love it if I were).

Cure, on the other hand, seems like a release Criterion would want to prioritize at the moment given its apparently escalating stature, especially since a direct line of influence can be drawn from it to a lot of contemporary horror. Plus I’m sure it hasn’t hurt its visibility recently that Bong Joon-ho has been such a vocal admirer of it. So while I understand it may take years for some films to see a release, I’ll honestly be surprised if Cure doesn’t get announced within the next few months. It seems to be one of the most hotly anticipated titles among the ones we know are coming.

hearthesilence

#4781 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:02 am

The Janus logo opened the DCP screened at MoMA for the new 4K restoration of Kinuyo Tanaka's Forever a Woman (perhaps more commonly known as The Eternal Breasts). I'm guessing Criterion will probably issue it on Blu-ray.

The restoration did a lot of work - I don't recall seeing a single blemish or scratch in the entire film. However, they may have done TOO much work as it felt like it was missing some texture to make it really feel like film and certain shots did seem a touch soft. Those softer shots tended to be long shots (the opening few shots seemed that way). But I'm sure most people won't complain, it's right on the cusp of being truly bothersome, and I eventually forgot about it.

FWIW, Lincoln Center is screening a retrospective of Kinuyo Tanaka's work in March, and reportedly all six films she directed have been restored, but Forever a Woman is probably the one that gets the most praise. All this makes a Criterion release seem more reasonable as there's certainly a re-evaluation of her directorial work underway thanks to these restorations.

yoloswegmaster

#4782 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:44 am

For this month's recent additions to the Channel, Pier Paolo Pasolini's 'Love Meetings' opens with the CC and Janus logos.

therewillbeblus

#4783 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:15 pm

Glad to hear more Sayles is on the docket, and Lone Star is one of his very best (we also know another masterpiece, The Secret of Roan Inish, is coming too). Here's hoping his two best films, Sunshine State and City of Hope are soon to come as well, which have both been criminally neglected by home media

beamish14

#4784 Post by beamish14 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:29 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:15 pm
Glad to hear more Sayles is on the docket, and Lone Star is one of his very best (we also know another masterpiece, The Secret of Roan Inish, is coming too). Here's hoping his two best films, Sunshine State and City of Hope are soon to come as well, which have both been criminally neglected by home media

City of Hope received a digital restoration well before Roan Inish, but it hasn't had a Blu-Ray release due to some music rights
complications.

I'm very happy that Kino is releasing Breaking In on Blu this year, and I hope he and/or Bill Forsyth record commentaries for it (although he refused to talk with them about The Challenge!)

brundlefly

#4785 Post by brundlefly » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:03 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:29 pm
I'm very happy that Kino is releasing Breaking In on Blu this year, and I hope he and/or Bill Forsyth record commentaries for it (although he refused to talk with them about The Challenge!)
Blu-ray Extras Include:

Brand New 2K Master
NEW Audio Commentary by Director Bill Forsyth, Screenwriter John Sayles and Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer
Theatrical Trailer
Optional English Subtitles

PfR73

#4786 Post by PfR73 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:09 pm

Breaking In has already been released by KL in January. It does have a new commentary featuring both Forsyth & Sayles.

Hogfather

#4787 Post by Hogfather » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:20 pm

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1 ... 7478654976

Now we just need to wait another year or so.

yoloswegmaster

#4788 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:31 pm

Hogfather wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:20 pm
https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1 ... 7478654976

Now we just need to wait another year or so.
It's already been posted in the Janus thread.

BlueGardenia

#4789 Post by BlueGardenia » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:21 pm

Not rumored, exactly, but two Hitchcock titles have been sitting on the Channel for awhile -- Sabotage and Young & Innocent -- and both have temp criterion covers available. A signal we might get a Early Sound Years Hitchcock Eclipse set? Also, new here, and as my name indicates, I'm a Lang-fan. Always hoping for more, especially a reissue of Testament of Dr Mabuse.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4790 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:05 pm

There is zero chance any Hitchcock film receives a DVD only release

willoneill

#4791 Post by willoneill » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:25 pm

BlueGardenia wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:21 pm
Not rumored, exactly, but two Hitchcock titles have been sitting on the Channel for awhile -- Sabotage and Young & Innocent -- and both have temp criterion covers available. A signal we might get a Early Sound Years Hitchcock Eclipse set? Also, new here, and as my name indicates, I'm a Lang-fan. Always hoping for more, especially a reissue of Testament of Dr Mabuse.
At least on iTunes, those covers have existed for several years.

m_montana

#4792 Post by m_montana » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:02 pm

willoneill wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:25 pm
BlueGardenia wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:21 pm
At least on iTunes, those covers have existed for several years.

Next to Spellbound, those two titles are the most likely Hitchcock films to enter the Collection on Blu-ray, since they were part of the laserdics releases (spines # 22 and 24, respectively) along with Secret Agent.

dustybooks

#4793 Post by dustybooks » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 pm

There’s no Blu-ray of Secret Agent anywhere (Network has issued the other two in the UK), plus it’s conspicuously missing from the streaming library even though its rights situation should be the same as the others, and I’ve long wondered if a large-scale restoration of that one is the holdup on a disc release for the others.

yoshimori

#4794 Post by yoshimori » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:44 am

dustybooks wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 pm
There’s no Blu-ray of Secret Agent anywhere ...
A blu-ray was released in France in 2020.

m_montana

#4795 Post by m_montana » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:15 pm

yoshimori wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:44 am
dustybooks wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 pm
There’s no Blu-ray of Secret Agent anywhere ...

And a bit confusing. In French, Sabotage was called "Agent Secret" for home video distribution, and that's how it was released. The actual Secret Agent was called "Quatre de l'espionnage" and appears to be available on DVD only, the Blu-ray kind of out-of-print.

ChunkyLover

#4796 Post by ChunkyLover » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:08 pm

yoshimori wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:44 am
m_montana wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:15 pm
the Blu-ray kind of out-of-print.
The French Blu was never released.

yoshimori

#4797 Post by yoshimori » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:58 pm

Oops. Sorry for the false alarm. Had had it in my wishlist at amazon france since it was announced two years ago. DIdn't realize it hadn't been released.

BlueGardenia

#4798 Post by BlueGardenia » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:05 pm
There is zero chance any Hitchcock film receives a DVD only release
I'm good with whatever they release. I'm just wondering if they'll do a collection release or, release these films as extra features to bigger films like they did with Downhill being attached to The Lodger.

flyonthewall2983

#4799 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:05 am

Are we keeping the guessing game locked up

ryannichols7

#4800 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:39 pm

Mr. Klein finally

EDIT: Double Indemnity UHD!!!!