Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#5351 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:42 pm

It was already released on Blu by Fox in one of the two later Kazan four film collections

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#5352 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:39 am

I have the Fox Kazan 4-pack and its transfer fits the description of the MoC. A rare enough movie that I'm grateful it's on blu-ray even if it is overscrubbed, but definitely could be a lot better. I personally think it's Kazan's best film so it's always been disappointing to me that it's virtually forgotten.

Calvin

#5353 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:52 am

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:14 pm
I should have included John Ford’s Fox films too, as they were the Channel recently, but couldn’t really think of a specific title they’d be interested in that hasn’t already had a release.
Pilgrimage?

With Paramount, there's Donovan's Reef (his last film with Wayne) and Warner have 7 Women and Mogambo, which I can't imagine Criterion passing up on if they were available.

movielocke

#5354 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:18 pm

in today's meaningless pattern recognition, criterion, presenting Cary Grant:

2016 - Only Angels Have Wings & Here Comes Mr. Jordan
2017 - His Girl Friday & The Philadelphia Story
2018 - The Awful Truth
2019 - Notorious (second edition / blu-grade)
2020 - Holiday
2021 - Bringing up Baby
2022 - Arsenic and Old Lace

Obviously the big Cary Grant film remaining is North By Northwest (also a criterion LD), possible for November? or a cornerstone 2023 release? An Affair to Remember is the other big Grant film, but they just did Love Affair, so maybe/maybe not?

but given criterion has been releasing Denzel films this year, how about I start a rumor for The Bishop's Wife and the Preacher's Wife double feature for December 2022 or December 2023. :D

ryannichols7

#5355 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:02 pm

Blonde Venus was also in 2018!

I tend to think we will see North by Northwest from Criterion if WB don't put it out themselves this holiday season. Universal has almost entirely completed their Hitchcock holdings' upgrade to UHD, but Warner hasn't even started theirs at all, and that's the logical place to start.

Criterion really have been pretty on the ball with getting their laserdisc titles back over time, while I know WB is prioritizing color movies for UHD, this same logic could apply to Kane (a title many thought was "too big" to go Criterion), where I think Criterion's history with the title and director (how many Hitchcocks have they released? 9?) will go a long way. I watched the movie the other night and the existing Bluray looked great at the time, but absolutely shows it's age now. like many of Hitchcock's movies it would be a real show on the format, mixing both lovely technicolor and deep, rich shadow scenes that really show the range of HDR. but now I'm just thinking out loud - great post!

Roscoe

#5356 Post by Roscoe » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:32 pm

Maybe a Criterion UHD of Curtiz/Keighley's ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD is in the cards.

fdm

#5357 Post by fdm » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:43 pm

I recall the NxNW blu-ray being rather disappointing/compromised, having been kludged together as best they could at the time given the condition of the materials. I can see why it's not been bumped up (yet).

And I wasn't the only one (see Matt's post (#18) in the North by Northwest: 50th Anniversary Edition thread).

shiftyeyes

#5358 Post by shiftyeyes » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:25 pm

fdm wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:43 pm
I recall the NxNW blu-ray being rather disappointing/compromised, having been kludged together as best they could at the time given the condition of the materials. I can see why it's not been bumped up (yet).

And I wasn't the only one (see Matt's post (#18) in the North by Northwest: 50th Anniversary Edition thread).
George Feltenstein from WB is a fairly regular guest on the podcast The Extras. He commented on the Blu-ray restoration in an episode from about a year ago. The movie was shot on problematic 1950s film stock and the Blu-ray restoration had a cost in the 7 figures. So WB is in no hurry to re-do it in 4K, even though he's sure it'll eventually happen.

yoloswegmaster

#5359 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:23 am

The Criterion Channel stream of Celine Sciamma's Water Lilies opens with the Criterion and Janus logos

DandyDancing

#5360 Post by DandyDancing » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:34 am

Same for Duras’ Baxter, Vera Baxter

ryannichols7

#5361 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:16 pm

the Infernal Affairs trilogy is apparently opening at Lincoln Centre on 16 September. I remain really curious to see if that release gets moved up to a Holiday 2022 version, but at the expense of what? you'd have to imagine Three Colors is certainly happening

poor Rohmer and Tanaka getting seemingly pushed back...unless we see the ultra rare double boxset month

fiendishthingy

#5362 Post by fiendishthingy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:43 pm

The 15th of this month is the Monday after next, so I'm curious whether any of the November releases will be significant enough to get an early announcement sometime next week.

Quote Perf Unquote

#5363 Post by Quote Perf Unquote » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:08 am

I'd really like to see "PlayTime" and "Koyaanisqatsi" get UHDs.

It looks like "PlayTime" has had a 4K scan, but the remainder of the Tatis have not. The single Blu release of "Woman in the Dunes" indicates precedent for upgrading & breaking a box set, so I hope that's what happens here, of course I'd welcome the whole set on UHD.

"Koyaanisqatsi" as far as I know has only had a 2k scan?

ryannichols7

#5364 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:40 am

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility at all for Playtime to get a standalone UHD upgrade (with it's old art - I love the unified covers in the Tati set but I loved having the poster art too). I'd imagine the same for 8 1/2 and maybe even Juliet of the Spirits or Nights of Cabiria. the big indicator will be whether Studiocanal does UHDs, they seem to announce before Criterion does and are, in general, more trigger happy with the format

Koyaanisqatsi was indeed only a 2K restoration, so it would need an overhaul. considering the amount of MGM titles we've seen on UHD so far I think chances are pretty solid. I certainly agree with you - both of these films are top 20 or so for me and would look incredible on the format, hopefully something being considered

Roscoe

#5365 Post by Roscoe » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 pm

Welles' THE TRIAL gets 4k engagement at Film Forum in December, via Bruce Goldstein's Rialto films -- hope that augurs a US 4k UHD release as well as the European release.

https://www.wellesnet.com/trial-film-forum/

FlickeringWindow

#5366 Post by FlickeringWindow » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:30 pm

Quote Perf Unquote wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:08 am
I'd really like to see "PlayTime" and "Koyaanisqatsi" get UHDs.

It looks like "PlayTime" has had a 4K scan, but the remainder of the Tatis have not. The single Blu release of "Woman in the Dunes" indicates precedent for upgrading & breaking a box set, so I hope that's what happens here, of course I'd welcome the whole set on UHD.

"Koyaanisqatsi" as far as I know has only had a 2k scan?
PlayTime was a full 4K restoration from 6.5K scans of the original 65mm camera negative, 65mm interpositive, and 65mm duplicate negative. Should be at the top of the list for UHD upgrades. Jour de Fete’s 1949 cut was scanned at 4K, but restored at 2K. The rest are apparently all 2K scans/2K restorations.

bugsy_pal

#5367 Post by bugsy_pal » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 pm

HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:39 am
I have the Fox Kazan 4-pack and its transfer fits the description of the MoC. A rare enough movie that I'm grateful it's on blu-ray even if it is overscrubbed, but definitely could be a lot better. I personally think it's Kazan's best film so it's always been disappointing to me that it's virtually forgotten.
I think it's my favourite Kazan too. I saw it on TV years ago and it brought me to tears. I have the Fox sets but have yet to rewatch it.

justeleblanc

#5368 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 am

Criterion's twitter account just posted a photo of Kyle MacLachlan visiting the office, with the words "A damn fine visit today from the great @Kyle_MacLachlan! ☕🌹🌲 Stay tuned for more!"

Certainly seems like they're hinting a Twin Peaks box, especially given the coffee/rose/douglas fir tree. But maybe they're just using Twin Peaks to promote a forthcoming closet video.

FrauBlucher

#5369 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:45 am

Old news. It was posted yesterday and has been discussed here

justeleblanc

#5370 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:49 am

Thanks. Sorry. Couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. Feel free to delete.

ryannichols7

#5371 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:21 pm

I have a feeling another delay will happen

agnamaracs

#5373 Post by agnamaracs » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:48 pm

"You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, sir. Bravo!"

MV88

#5374 Post by MV88 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:56 pm

The fact that the announcements have been late pretty much all summer is surely a hint for Ozu’s Late Summer.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#5375 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:57 pm

Nobody wants to work anymore smdh