Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Matt

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#5826 Post by Matt » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:59 pm

They’re typically much later in the month, no? Sometimes in early March. I was hoping for half-price Duras.

therewillbeblus

#5827 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:32 pm

It's almost always between the third week of Feb and the second week of March- the only time within the last five years it was outside of that window was a week earlier on Feb 13, 2018

criterionsnob

#5828 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:02 pm

Chocolat 4K restoration coming this month from Janus.

Hogfather

#5829 Post by Hogfather » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:18 pm

I think that Criterion's going to do a Foreign Correspondent 4k soon. During the Daniels' Criterion Closet video, I noticed what looked like a slipcased version of the film. If you skip ahead to the 2:35 mark and look at the left side of the second-to-bottom shelf, you'll notice a DVD and three Blu-rays of the film, which have the same spine. But in between them there is a slipcase that looks like it has the same lettering and colors, though the colors are swapped.

diamonds

#5830 Post by diamonds » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:36 pm

Hogfather wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:18 pm
I think that Criterion's going to do a Foreign Correspondent 4k soon. During the Daniels' Criterion Closet video, I noticed what looked like a slipcased version of the film. If you skip ahead to the 2:35 mark and look at the left side of the second-to-bottom shelf, you'll notice a DVD and three Blu-rays of the film, which have the same spine. But in between them there is a slipcase that looks like it has the same lettering and colors, though the colors are swapped.
Good eye!

yoloswegmaster

#5831 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:40 pm

That's just the dual format digipack before it got discontinued and replaced by the scanovo case.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#5832 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 pm

It was originally a dual format release though; I’m not in a place where I can check my copy at the moment, but I’m pretty sure that spine was also a light blue top half over a black lower half

EDIT: beaten to it

therewillbeblus

#5833 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:47 pm

I'd also expect Criterion to upgrade several other Hitchcocks they have the rights to before that one

FrauBlucher

#5834 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:09 pm

Further proof that we miss and want puzzles of future releases from Criterion :cry:... :-" Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio :-"

cdnchris
Site Admin

#5835 Post by cdnchris » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:49 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer but yes, that is the dual-format edition.

rwiggum

#5836 Post by rwiggum » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:43 pm

Also due to production pipeline, I cannot imagine a scenario where they would have finished, sealed copies in the closet before it was even announced.

guyetgenevieve

#5837 Post by guyetgenevieve » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:34 pm

Warner Bros. has announced a series of 100th Anniversary Blu-ray box sets. Noticeably missing from these sets are Dog Day Afternoon and Amadeus, which I feel like I remember being rumored for Criterion awhile back. Should we take this as further evidence?

crimlaw

#5838 Post by crimlaw » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:14 pm

The Wild Bunch and Mean Streets are also not listed.

yoloswegmaster

#5839 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:22 pm

My hope is that we see a "Early Scorsese at WB" boxset that includes Mean Streets, After Hours, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, and Who's That Knocking at my Door come from Criterion. I could also just see them releasing a standalone for Mean Streets since it's the films 50th anniversary this year.

bad future

#5840 Post by bad future » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:01 pm

I was thinking Amadeus did seem like a conspicuous omission from the "Award Winners" section, but then I looked at this earlier DVD set of the Best Picture winners in their library and it looks like only 9 of those 20 made the cut for the new set. Granted, two of the ones left out are Gone With the Wind and Driving Miss Daisy which they might not be keen on centering these days, and many of the rest probably aren't recognizable to most of the target audience for this thing, but it's easy enough to imagine Amadeus falling just on the side of "not popular enough" along with Best Years of Our Lives and Chariots of Fire. They seem to be aiming this at as broad an audience as possible and they have more than 100 crowdpleasers, so any editorial decisions don't really *need* any more explanation than that, though I'd certainly be happy if Criterion is actively prepping most of the good stuff that isn't here!

FrauBlucher

#5841 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:29 pm

If and when Criterion releases Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is there anything Dylan related to this film that can be an extra?

Close The Door, Raymond

#5842 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:27 am

There are two recent Bob Dylan documentaries that are both co-directed by Jennifer Lebeau: Odds and Ends (2021) and Trouble No More (2017) both distributed by Sony. I don't think there's a DVD or Blu-ray releases but both are available to stream at various pay sites.

Trouble No More is shorter of the two. It's a concert film shot in 1980 and features actor Michael Shannon as a preacher reading sermons between Dylan's songs

Odds and Ends is co-directed by John Hillcoat. It's two hours of "a compilation film of promotional material, footage from other documentaries left on the cutting-room floor and assorted demos and alternate takes from the singer-songwriter’s six-decade career."

It looks like Sony is probably going to release more Dylan-related films and videos from the archives.

FrauBlucher

#5843 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:01 am

Close The Door, Raymond wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:27 am
There are two recent Bob Dylan documentaries that are both co-directed by Jennifer Lebeau: Odds and Ends (2021) and Trouble No More (2017) both distributed by Sony. I don't think there's a DVD or Blu-ray releases but both are available to stream at various pay sites.

Trouble No More is shorter of the two. It's a concert film shot in 1980 and features actor Michael Shannon as a preacher reading sermons between Dylan's songs

Odds and Ends is co-directed by John Hillcoat. It's two hours of "a compilation film of promotional material, footage from other documentaries left on the cutting-room floor and assorted demos and alternate takes from the singer-songwriter’s six-decade career."

It looks like Sony is probably going to release more Dylan-related films and videos from the archives.
These don't really strike me as something they would tack on to the Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid release. I was asking if maybe there was a studio recording session for the soundtrack that was recorded or a show Dylan did circa 1973 promoting the songs from the film or a documentary about the film featuring Dylan's music. Anything would be most welcomed

Elizabeth Corday

#5844 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:37 pm

I'm still hoping and praying for The Heroic Trio. Is there any buzz about it?

ryannichols7

#5845 Post by ryannichols7 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:50 pm

Elizabeth Corday wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:37 pm
just like Tales of the Four Seasons, The Wedding March, etc, I'm sure we'll see it eventually

yoloswegmaster

#5846 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:33 pm

Elizabeth Corday wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:37 pm
I would bet on it being released sometime this year since both The Heroic Trio and Executioners are celebrating their 30th anniversaries this year. Not to mention that Michelle Yeoh is getting big buzz from her Oscars nomination for, and I'm hoping that they will be able to film an interview with her, especially since they won't be able to get interview with her other 2 lead co-stars.

beamish14

#5847 Post by beamish14 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:37 pm

Close The Door, Raymond wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:27 am

Trouble No More was created for the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series music releases that have had new installments since 1991. I don’t see it ever being untethered from the set it was commissioned for

yoloswegmaster

#5848 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:01 pm

Titles are up:

Targets
Petite Maman
Wings of Desire 4K
Branded to Kill 4K
Thelma and Louise 4K

FrauBlucher

#5849 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:09 pm

Ridley Scott joins the collection.

agnamaracs

#5850 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:10 pm

While I'm excited that Suzuki is getting so much love, I wish they'd get his other four spines on Blu. (The old Home Vision titles would be nice, too.)