Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#5976 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:17 pm

What's interesting is people are still buying DVDs.

MV88

#5977 Post by MV88 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:52 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:17 pm
As a librarian, I can tell you that a LOT of people still exclusively use DVDs. Every time someone places a hold on a movie and the copy is a Blu-ray (because our catalog annoyingly doesn’t distinguish), I know there’s at least a 75% chance they’re going to tell me they can’t use the Blu-ray when they come in to pick it up.

hearthesilence

#5978 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:19 pm

FWIW, when I visited La Cinémathèque française in 2018, I was surprised that their store was primarily DVD. (I don't even remember seeing Blu-rays, but it's been long enough that I may have forgotten whether I did - almost certain I didn't because I didn't buy anything specifically for that reason.)

I still do buy DVDs simply because there's SD stuff that isn't available any other way, usually music DVDs where the footage was shot on some ancient video format. (Also some music labels like Rhino have made it clear that their internal research shows that most of their consumers don't really want DVDs anymore because they rarely play them, so unless it's a full-blown film, I'm almost certain there won't be a physical upgrade in the future.)

Elizabeth Corday

#5979 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:11 pm

I hold out hope we get Heroic Trio announcement next month. Or perhaps in May?

ryannichols7

#5980 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:32 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:42 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:40 pm

while it's great that Criterion is finally releasing a Joseph Losey film, and a great one at that, it's indisputably disappointing that they chose not to release it in UHD.
You forgot Mr. Klein is in
yes I did, my bad!

Liz Helfgott was the only other Criterion voter. a UHD of The Best Years of Our Lives with plenty of extras would be a dream obviously, but more realistically The Long Farewell (Janus holding) looks likely. Criterion post stills from News From Home constantly on their social media, I wonder what their gameplan is with Akerman moving forward? I can't imagine they'll just leave those in an Eclipse box forever
FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:17 pm
they are, big time. if you follow DVDBeaver on Facebook by chance, he posts sales numbers often and every single time people are shocked DVDs are still selling. there's a reason Walmart and Target still stock them, and ditto Redbox renting them out...that's what a lot of people have still

Peter McM

#5981 Post by Peter McM » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:18 am

Elizabeth Corday wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:11 pm
I hold out hope we get Heroic Trio announcement next month. Or perhaps in May?
Would like to see announced in April, so to be available for next B&N sale.

yoloswegmaster

#5982 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:08 am

Not a surprise but all the Harold Lloyd films that were newly added to the Channel open with the CC and Janus logos. More of a surprise is that Roy Andersson's Songs from the Second Floor opens with both logos as well.

Rupert Pupkin

#5983 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:50 pm

https://www.criterionforum.org/forum/vi ... 72#p779972
I was hoping that Criterion could release a proper transfer (without the bad encoding - the Network UK Blu-Ray is the one I have, there is already a US release (same picture "quality") of "The Last Seduction" - which is IMHO one of the best "neo noir" movie with "Body Heat".
That would make 3 Linda Fiorentino movies, because there are some rumors about "After Hours" via Criterion and they also listed "Jade" (which was weak IMHO; despite a few moments).

Criterion put this movie in a suggestion list :
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... 023-lineup
April's fools, or could "The Last Seduction" be a potential Criterion re-release (a blu-ray re-encoding "rescue") ?

https://www.criterionchannel.com/erotic ... -seduction

FrauBlucher

#5984 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:53 pm

Two films I'm intrigued by potential Criterion releases. Since almost everything Lynch seems to be under Criterion now, is Wild at Heart next even though Shout Factory currently has it? The other film is Haneke's Cache. It's still very surprising it never got a bluray release here in NA. Could Criterion be waiting till they get out all the Haneke's from the Kino box, with The Castle being the one remaining film from that set?

Finch

#5985 Post by Finch » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:08 pm

I don't know how long Shout's license is for, 5 years maybe? Assuming Iger is true to his word and Disney are more open minded about licensing out, The Straight Story might well come first but it depends on who'd bankroll a new restoration given that all other Lynch films have been restored in 4k. For that matter, Wild At Heart hasn't received a 4k scan either yet. Blue Velvet and Fire Walk With Me are surely the next to hit UHD as should Elephant Man.

Ribs

#5986 Post by Ribs » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:53 pm

The Straight Story will almost certainly revert to Lynch in the next two or three years as the original acquisition period will lapse - no reason to wait and cut in Disney.

dadaistnun

#5987 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:09 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:32 pm
Criterion post stills from News From Home constantly on their social media, I wonder what their gameplan is with Akerman moving forward? I can't imagine they'll just leave those in an Eclipse box forever.
Cinematek recently restored Toute Une Nuit, and HD copies of News From Home & Je, tu, il, elle have popped up on back channels recently (I have no clue if these are new scans/transfers/whatever of the latter two or not). I wonder if an Akerman box is a possibility, unless rights are an issue. Any box set attempting anything like a comprehensive overview, whether billed as "complete" or not, that doesn't include her contribution to the television series Tous les garçons et les filles de leur âge..., Portrait of a Young Girl at the End of the 60s in Brussels, would be seriously compromised imo.

yoloswegmaster

#5988 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:40 am

Ribs wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:53 pm
The Straight Story will almost certainly revert to Lynch in the next two or three years as the original acquisition period will lapse - no reason to wait and cut in Disney.
I actually think that the rights could be reverted to Lynch by next year since it's the 25th anniversary by then, assuming that he made a similar deal to get the rights back like he did with Lost Highway.

hearthesilence

#5989 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:58 am

dadaistnun wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:09 am
ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:32 pm
Criterion post stills from News From Home constantly on their social media, I wonder what their gameplan is with Akerman moving forward? I can't imagine they'll just leave those in an Eclipse box forever.
Cinematek recently restored Toute Une Nuit, and HD copies of News From Home & Je, tu, il, elle have popped up on back channels recently (I have no clue if these are new scans/transfers/whatever of the latter two or not). I wonder if an Akerman box is a possibility, unless rights are an issue. Any box set attempting anything like a comprehensive overview, whether billed as "complete" or not, that doesn't include her contribution to the television series Tous les garçons et les filles de leur âge..., Portrait of a Young Girl at the End of the 60s in Brussels, would be seriously compromised imo.
I posted this in 2015, but according to Nicola Mazzanti, director of Cinémathèque Royale de Belgique, they were restoring ALL of her films. (This was announced at MoMA's restoration festival, a little over a month after she died, where they were presenting several restorations that had been completed. A sad occasion, IIRC Dave Kehr opened up the first screening by saying they never doubted that Akerman would be there to present those restorations, but "fate has intervened." Mazzanti was certainly a close friend to Akerman and pointed out he wouldn't be staying to watch any screenings as it was too painful.) At the pace they were going, I imagine they may have finished them all by now, in which case a comprehensive box set would definitely make sense if there are no rights issues.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roscoe

#5990 Post by Roscoe » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:00 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:08 am
More of a surprise is that Roy Andersson's Songs from the Second Floor opens with both logos as well.
A great surprise -- and very good news, if it augurs a Criterion release of SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR.

yoloswegmaster

#5991 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:03 pm

The people who run the Videodrome video rental store in Atlanta posted on Instagram that they were at the Criterion office last month and had this to say when asked if they knew about any unannounced titles:
They were working on a major restoration of a yet to be announced NYC classic.
Finally working on After Hours?

FrauBlucher

#5992 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:16 pm

... if not, then Mean Streets is a possibility

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#5993 Post by soundchaser » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:57 pm

They All Laughed will have its day!

therewillbeblus

#5994 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:23 am

Or Eyes Wide Shut, though it would be cheeky to call it a “NYC classic!”

dwk

#5995 Post by dwk » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:33 am

I'm not sure something like Mean Streets or After Hours would require a "major restoration'." So I'm going to guess The Crowd.

Peacock

#5996 Post by Peacock » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:39 am

It can only mean Flaming Creatures and the complete surviving films of Jack Smith… at long last!

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#5997 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:27 pm

Clearly it’s Woody Allen’s Manhattan with a video essay proving his innocence.

therewillbeblus

#5998 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:47 pm

Dog Day Afternoon wouldn't surprise me either

beamish14

#5999 Post by beamish14 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:17 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:47 pm
Dog Day Afternoon wouldn't surprise me either

They do love Lumet. I’d love a 4K of Prince of the City

JabbaTheSlut