Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1351 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:17 am

If I'm not mistaken, the HDR grade for The Red Shoes is new, and the restoration originally was SDR.

yoloswegmaster

#1352 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 10, 2022 11:31 am

StudioCanal will be releasing a 4K UHD for 'The Trial' in September for the European countries. They don't say in the press release anything about a U.S release but I think it's safe to assume that Criterion will be releasing it at the same time, just like the Mulholland Drive release.

FrauBlucher

#1353 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 10, 2022 11:50 am

therewillbeblus

#1354 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 10, 2022 12:34 pm

That's great news! Wasn't the SC Mulholland Dr. UHD far superior to Criterion's? I feel like UHD has been such a weird medium of errors and unexpected slackjobs thus far, where we sadly need to wait and see for all versions to become available before deciding what to purchase..

yoloswegmaster

#1355 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 10, 2022 12:43 pm

It wasn't really all that superior at all, as the differences between the 2 releases are negligible.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1356 Post by swo17 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:50 pm

The SC Mulholland Dr was slightly better encoded is all--the Criterion is very good but the SC was done by Fidelity in Motion (the gold standard)

therewillbeblus

#1357 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 10, 2022 1:12 pm

Oh okay, cool. So basically we'll know to buy the SC Welles if it's done by Fidelity in Motion? Have they not fcked up a UHD yet?

ryannichols7

#1358 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm

there's no way the Canal release would have anywhere near the amount of (extremely necessary) scholarly supplements a hypothetical Criterion release would have, something to consider against that "slightly better encode" advantage the Canal disc will possibly have. it may not matter for a film like Mulholland Drive, where the director will not allow for many supplements, but Criterion hasn't shortchanged a Welles release yet. I'm sure we could expect a Naremore/Rosenbaum track (if they didn't have a falling out after their track for Kane), contributions from Simon Callow, Joe McBride, and others, hopefully a Kafka scholar of some sort talking about the adaptation itself, and whatever remains of Filming 'The Trial', just like the Othello entry, and the closest we'll ever get to Welles doing a commentary.

unless one just cares about the movie, of course

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1359 Post by tenia » Tue May 10, 2022 2:37 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm
it may not matter for a film like Mulholland Drive, where the director will not allow for many supplements
Maybe not the best example there is : MD's older SC BD already contained about 2hrs of extras, Criterion produced 1h40 more, and then Canal managed to produce a new 20 min interview with Mary Sweeney and retrieve 12 min of EPK bits. The movie thus has about 4hrs of extras available.

On The Trial, SC's existing BD already has 95 min of extras (plus a deleted scene and the trailer), which looks on par with what Criterion offered for The Immortal Story or Chimes at Midnight.
therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:12 pm
Oh okay, cool. So basically we'll know to buy the SC Welles if it's done by Fidelity in Motion? Have they not fcked up a UHD yet?
A UHD encode ? Not that anyone know of, no.

FrauBlucher

#1360 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

New update:

20/07/15 update: moved PIerrot le Fou to the re-release section
20/07/15 updated list based on the "getharrypalmer' info down thread
20/10/15 updated: moved three Bunuels to re-release section
21/01/15 updated: moved Fellinis to re-release section, with notation, made new section base on possible new SC licenses
21/07/20 updated: Mr Klein add to the "Unreleased potential licenses" column, Studio Canal confirming title to Criterion
21/12/16 updated: Mr Klein moved to the "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " column & Le Circle Rouge UHD added to the re-releases column & Ran UHD moved to Lionsgate Retained section
21/12/17 updated: Variety Lights has been removed as indications show it's no longer a Studio Canal title
22/2/15 updated: Mr. Klein removed from the "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " section and entered in the newly created " recently acquired" section
22/3/17 updated: The Tales of Hoffman moved from "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " section to the "Criterion re-releases"
22/6/15 updated: Le Corbeau moved from "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed" section to the "Criterion re-releases"

Criterion re-releases:
49 Nights of Cabiria (only in Fellini Mega set)
102 The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
143 That Obscure Object of Desire
189 The White Sheik (only in Fellini Mega set)
205 Lola
218 Le Cercle Rouge UHD
227 Le Corbeau
290 The Phantom of Liberty
317 The Tales of Hoffmann
385 Army of Shadows
421 Pierrot le Fou

Recently Acquired from Studio Canal:
1123 Mr. Klein

Criterion Rumored to have and rumors confirmed
58 Peeping Tom
67 The Blood of a Poet
69 Testament of Orpheus
106 Coup De Torchon
117 Diary of a Chambermaid
129 Le Trou
222 Diary of a Country Priest
318 Forbidden Games
357 The Fallen Idol
441 The Small Back Room

Lionsgate Retained:
64 The Third Man
316 Ran UHD

2020/21 SC deal rumored previously off-limits titles now rumored to be licensed to criterion:
1 Grand Illusion
171 Contempt
304 The Man Who Fell To Earth

no info?:
238 A Woman Is a Woman
424 Mafioso

Kino Releases:
25 Alphaville
121 Billy Liar
150 Bob Le Flambeur
193 Quai des Orfèvres
245 Port of Shadows
271 Touchez Pas Au Grisbi
325 Kind Hearts and Coronets
402 The Milky Way
447 Le doulos
478 Last Year At Marienbad
572 Léon Morin, Priest

Essential Art House titles, Criterion rumored to have
Gervaise
Le Jour se Leve

Essential Art House titles, no info
Mayerling
The Last Holiday

Unreleased potential licenses from Studio Canal
The Card
The Trial
The Crime of Monsieur Lange
The Four Musketeers
The Servant
The Three Musketeers

ryannichols7

#1361 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:33 am

thank you for updating this list! I must note that I find their Canal re-release strategy interesting. the Bunuel films came out in a really awesome boxset with tons of features, but outdated transfers (luckily Discreet Charm is coming on UHD in region B!). Tales of Hoffmann and Le Corbeau are coming out with brand new transfers but are literally the exact same editions as their old, more barren DVDs, just with wacky C's this time. Le Cercle Rouge at least got the UHD bump (something likely more fitting for Hoffmann but not the Clouzot), but I'm curious if this will continue or not. even of the early ones, Pierrot got an update but Army of Shadows got the exact same disc. I'm sure Peeping Tom and The Orphic Trilogy (especially the latter) would get more elaborate do-overs being earlier spines, but I'd have to imagine many of these others will get the similar "stunning new transfer, otherwise be thankful for what you got in the 2000s" treatment. but I really hope that isn't the case, many of these could really use great features.

I do suspect Grand Illusion, Contempt, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and if all that's right in the world, The Third Man and Ran to be 4K releases. maybe one for Peeping Tom but if Hoffmann didn't get one I doubt it.

I also suspect we will see The Servant and especially The Trial before year's end. The Crime of Monsieur Lange has been out awhile whereas the latter two are "it" releases for Canal at the moment, seems right for Criterion to answer with region A releases.

hearthesilence

#1362 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:13 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:33 am
The Crime of Monsieur Lange has been out awhile...
I wouldn't wait on a Criterion reissue unless anyone's hoping for great extras. I posted about the restoration, which I saw at its NY premiere, and it's not going to look great. I don't doubt that the best source materials extant are far from ideal, but it looks like a LOT of digital work was done on it, to the point where it's too much for my tastes. It didn't stop me from enjoying the film and appreciating it even more, but it doesn't look so hot and I can't see how a new Blu-ray encode can improve things because what's disappointing is pretty much what I remember and noted here in the DCP.

ryannichols7

#1363 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:07 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:13 am
ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:33 am
The Crime of Monsieur Lange has been out awhile...
I wouldn't wait on a Criterion reissue unless anyone's hoping for great extras. I posted about the restoration, which I saw at its NY premiere, and it's not going to look great. I don't doubt that the best source materials extant are far from ideal, but it looks like a LOT of digital work was done on it, to the point where it's too much for my tastes. It didn't stop me from enjoying the film and appreciating it even more, but it doesn't look so hot and I can't see how a new Blu-ray encode can improve things because what's disappointing is pretty much what I remember and noted here in the DCP.
that's mostly what I mean. I've caved on Grand Illusion and probably will for Blood of a Poet but I definitely hope for good extras either way. I've actually never seen the film (unlike the other two) but I do know Renoir usually gets good treatment extras wise

random thought: I mentioned it above, I wonder what Criterion will do with The Servant, something that pretty obviously (especially after Mr. Klein) is something they'll be releasing, since it was confirmed it's not with Kino. it got a 4K release in other territories, but would it in the States? just thinking out loud, obviously it's not part of the October announcements, so don't mind me bumping the thread

Blutarsky

#1364 Post by Blutarsky » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:11 pm

Looks like The Man Who Fell to Earth is getting a 4K from Lionsgate.

FrauBlucher

#1365 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:06 pm

New update:

21/01/15 updated: moved Fellinis to re-release section, with notation, made new section base on possible new SC licenses
21/07/20 updated: Mr Klein add to the "Unreleased potential licenses" column, Studio Canal confirming title to Criterion
21/12/16 updated: Mr Klein moved to the "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " column & Le Circle Rouge UHD added to the re-releases column & Ran UHD moved to Lionsgate Retained section
21/12/17 updated: Variety Lights has been removed as indications show it's no longer a Studio Canal title
22/2/15 updated: Mr. Klein removed from the "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " section and entered in the newly created " recently acquired" section
22/3/17 updated: The Tales of Hoffman moved from "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " section to the "Criterion re-releases"
22/6/15 updated: Le Corbeau moved from "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed" section to the "Criterion re-releases"
23/2/26 updated: The Man that Fell to Earth moved from "SC's off limits to Criterion and now rumored to be licensed to Criterion" is indeed not coming back to Criterion but staying with Lionsgate; Also, Criterion releases of Mandabi and La piscine were added to "Recently Acquired from SC" that were overlooked and not added to list when they were respectively released

Criterion re-releases:
205 Lola
218 Le Cercle Rouge UHD
227 Le Corbeau
385 Army of Shadows
421 Pierrot le Fou

Recently Acquired from Studio Canal:
1123 Mr. Klein
1065 Mandabi
1088 La piscine

58 Peeping Tom
67 The Blood of a Poet
69 Testament of Orpheus
106 Coup De Torchon
129 Le Trou
318 Forbidden Games
357 The Fallen Idol
441 The Small Back Room

Lionsgate Retained:
64 The Third Man
316 Ran UHD
304 The Man Who Fell To Earth UHD

2020/21 SC deal rumored previously off-limits titles now rumored to be licensed to criterion:
1 Grand Illusion
171 Contempt

no info?:
238 A Woman Is a Woman
424 Mafioso

Kino Releases:
25 Alphaville
121 Billy Liar
150 Bob Le Flambeur
193 Quai des Orfèvres
245 Port of Shadows
402 The Milky Way
447 Le doulos
572 Léon Morin, Priest

If any of the Kino/SC have gone OOP please let me know

Gervaise
Le Jour se Leve

Mayerling
The Last Holiday

The Card
The Trial
The Four Musketeers
The Servant
The Three Musketeers

crimlaw

#1366 Post by crimlaw » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:53 pm

SC has The Driver (1978) and Moby Dick (1956). Disappointing that Criterion is not pursuing those titles.

ChunkyLover

#1367 Post by ChunkyLover » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:04 pm

crimlaw wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:53 pm
SC has The Driver (1978) and Moby Dick (1956). Disappointing that Criterion is not pursuing those titles.
"The Driver" is Fox/Disney in the US and "Moby Dick" is MGM in the US. For the former, I wouldn't be surprised that Criterion have been sitting on "The Driver" since Twilight Time's disc officially sold out years before the merger. I find it hard to believe that a label like Kino or Shout, both of whom have done decent-sized special editions of Hill films ("Streets of Fire", "The Long Riders"), would pass on a re-release opportunity.

FrauBlucher

#1368 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:49 pm

New update:

22/2/15 updated: Mr. Klein removed from the "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " section and entered in the newly created "newly acquired" section
23/2/26 updated: The Man that Fell to Earth moved from "SC's off limits to Criterion and now rumored to be licensed to Criterion" is indeed not coming back to Criterion but staying with Lionsgate; Also, Criterion releases of Mandabi and La piscine were added to "Newly Acquired from SC" that were overlooked and not added to list when they were respectively announced
23/3/25 updated: The Servant moved from "Unreleased potential licenses from Studio Canal" to the "Newly Acquired from SC"

Criterion re-releases:
205 Lola
218 Le Cercle Rouge UHD
227 Le Corbeau
385 Army of Shadows
421 Pierrot le Fou

Newly Acquired from Studio Canal:
1123 Mr. Klein
1065 Mandabi
1088 La piscine
1182 The Servant

58 Peeping Tom
67 The Blood of a Poet
69 Testament of Orpheus
106 Coup De Torchon
129 Le Trou
318 Forbidden Games
357 The Fallen Idol
441 The Small Back Room

Lionsgate Retained:
64 The Third Man
316 Ran UHD

1 Grand Illusion
171 Contempt

no info?:
238 A Woman Is a Woman
424 Mafioso

Kino Releases:
25 Alphaville
121 Billy Liar
150 Bob Le Flambeur
193 Quai des Orfèvres
245 Port of Shadows
402 The Milky Way
447 Le doulos
572 Léon Morin, Priest

Gervaise
Le Jour se Leve

Mayerling
The Last Holiday

The Card
The Trial
The Four Musketeers
The Three Musketeers

Crimlaw25

#1369 Post by Crimlaw25 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:36 pm

Another Losey favorite, The Go-Between, which is also with Studio Canal has, on occasion, been rumored for Criterion, unless the rights are still with Sony in the U.S.

ryannichols7

#1370 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:53 pm

as noted in another thread, Contempt is forthcoming from Canal this year. watch for a new restoration to debut at Cannes. Peeping Tom is also forthcoming as well. presumably both titles will get UHD releases from Canal, so it remains to be seen whether Criterion brings them over as such (I feel fairly confident Contempt isn't with Lionsgate any longer, but we will find out soon enough surely), since The Servant is not getting the same treatment it did from Canal directly. I now worry about The Trial...

rrenault

#1371 Post by rrenault » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:20 am

Assuming they have the rights, I'd be very surprised if Criterion forewent doing a UHD of Contempt, provided Canal do one themselves for the European market, since like Rules of the Game it's very much an "inner circle" canon title. I could be wrong, but I'd wager the postwar 'arthouse' films from Godard, Antonioni, Fellini, Bergman et al. are probably bigger sellers for Criterion than Rules of the Game is.

On a side note, StudioCanal's more recent non-FiM UHDs have mostly been fine, including The Piano, The Driver, and Discreet Charm, so I hope the same would apply to Contempt. Even Ran's UHD seems to be more or less acceptable. Somewhat selfishly, as an EU resident I'd rather not have to import a Criterion UHD of Contempt to get a decent encode.

P.S. The Servant is not the first Losey Criterion release. They also released Mr. Klein recently.

Crimlaw25

#1372 Post by Crimlaw25 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:28 pm

Another Losey favorite, The Go-Between, which is also with Studio Canal has, on occasion, been rumored for Criterion, unless the rights are still with Sony in the U.S.

FrauBlucher

#1373 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:45 pm

New update:

22/2/15 updated: Mr. Klein removed from the "Rumored to have and rumors confirmed " section and entered in the newly created "newly acquired" section
23/2/26 updated: The Man that Fell to Earth moved from "SC's off limits to Criterion and now rumored to be licensed to Criterion" is indeed not coming back to Criterion but staying with Lionsgate; Also, Criterion releases of Mandabi and La piscine were added to "Newly Acquired from SC" that were overlooked and not added to list when they were respectively announced
23/3/25 updated: The Servant moved from "Unreleased potential licenses from Studio Canal" to the "Newly Acquired from SC"
23/6/15 updated: The Trial moved from "Unreleased potential licenses from Studio Canal" to the "Newly Acquired from SC"; Contempt moved from "SC's off limits to Criterion and now rumored to be licensed to Criterion" unfortunately is indeed staying with Lionsgate

Criterion re-releases:
205 Lola
218 Le Cercle Rouge UHD
227 Le Corbeau
385 Army of Shadows
421 Pierrot le Fou

Newly Acquired from Studio Canal:
1123 Mr. Klein
1065 Mandabi
1088 La piscine
1182 The Servant
1191 The TrIal UHD

58 Peeping Tom
67 The Blood of a Poet
69 Testament of Orpheus
106 Coup De Torchon
129 Le Trou
318 Forbidden Games
357 The Fallen Idol
441 The Small Back Room

Lionsgate Retained:
64 The Third Man
316 Ran UHD
171 Contempt UHD

1 Grand Illusion

no info?:
238 A Woman Is a Woman
424 Mafioso

Kino Releases:
25 Alphaville
121 Billy Liar
150 Bob Le Flambeur
193 Quai des Orfèvres
245 Port of Shadows
402 The Milky Way
447 Le doulos
572 Léon Morin, Priest

Gervaise
Le Jour se Leve

Mayerling
The Last Holiday

The Card
The Four Musketeers
The Three Musketeers

FrauBlucher

#1374 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:30 pm

Peeping Tom seems like the next likely return with Studio Canal releasing a 4k edition in Europe in November

ryannichols7

#1375 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:08 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:30 pm
Peeping Tom seems like the next likely return with Studio Canal releasing a 4k edition in Europe in November
unless of course, Lionsgate suddenly cares about this title and dump it out over here. but I agree, I think it's pretty likely. hopefully we see Criterion's version in November or soon after so we don't have another Trial-esque situation where the Canal disc is out for ages and then the CC shows up