Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
senseabove

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4226 Post by senseabove » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Excellent news! Now if only a UK label or anyone could rescue Born in Flames from its barebones US MOD BDR, and Regrouping would surface anywhere at all. Really, really curious to see the latter, but it's not on any back channels I know of/can access.

DeprongMori

#4227 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:28 pm

senseabove wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:53 pm
Excellent news! Now if only a UK label or anyone could rescue Born in Flames from its barebones US MOD BDR, and Regrouping would surface anywhere at all. Really, really curious to see the latter, but it's not on any back channels I know of/can access.
FWIW, Born In Flames is currently streaming on the Criterion Channel, along with a newly recorded intro for the film by Borden. Seems likely this has a forthcoming release in the Collection as well.

senseabove

#4228 Post by senseabove » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Since it has a disc release that's less than 3 years old and still available and it doesn't open with a Janus logo on the Channel, I don't think we can make that leap... The intro does say it was newly recorded in 2020, but I'd imagine they just recorded an intro for Born in Flames on the Channel when they had Borden in the office for Working Girls extras, since we now know that's coming. I'd love to be wrong, though.

bad future

#4229 Post by bad future » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:27 pm

Working Girls news is such a nice surprise on my birthday, for a film from my birth year! I’ve long hoped for a blu-ray, never expected from Criterion. \:D/

DandyDancing

#4230 Post by DandyDancing » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 am

I may be missing the joke here, but you were born in 1931?

DandyDancing

#4231 Post by DandyDancing » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:35 am

Wait I may have the wrong Working Girls. Both will probably come out soon anyway.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4232 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:41 am

DandyDancing wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:35 am
Wait I may have the wrong Working Girls. Both will probably come out soon anyway.
Wait, are they releasing the Arzner film too?

DandyDancing

#4233 Post by DandyDancing » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:04 pm

Just an educated guess on my part. It was in a double feature on the channel with Merrily We Go to Hell.

Finch

#4234 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 am

With Tavernier's passing yesterday, maybe Criterion will upgrade Coup De Torchon (which I'd love to see) to Blu-Ray next year (as their 2021 lineup is all planned and dated for). Or go further and do a box set with four or five other of his French films and Round Midnight...? Death Watch was (or still is?) on the Criterion Channel but that's already out through Shout Factory, and despite the Scotland connection, one that I'm not as much interested in.

Do we know if Cohen has the rights to some of his other films?

deathbird

#4235 Post by deathbird » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:27 am

Finch wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 am
(as their 2021 lineup is all planned and dated for
What does this mean exactly? Where is this info?

Finch

#4236 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:04 pm

I should have phrased this better. What I meant was I'm sure they had their entire schedule for 2021 mapped out very early on. Sorry if I raised expectations of having some inside scoop!

Fiery Angel

#4237 Post by Fiery Angel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:34 pm

Kino has The Clockmaker (again) and was planning a Tavernier commentary and/or interview. No word on Let Joy Reign Supreme, Captain Conan, Daddy Nostalgia, Fresh Bait or Safe Conduct, all of which either KIno or Koch Lorber once had. A Week's Vacation needs an English-friendly Blu, and The Undeclared War is my Holy Grail.

yoloswegmaster

#4238 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:36 am

'The Grand Illusion', 'The Third Man' and 'Contempt' are back on the Channel, and they all open up with the Criterion Collection logo and they seem to be using the newer remasters.

Blutarsky

#4239 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:51 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:36 am
'The Grand Illusion', 'The Third Man' and 'Contempt' are back on the Channel, and they all open up with the Criterion Collection logo and they seem to be using the newer remasters.
As long as the remaster for Contempt doesn’t switch languages mid way through the screening scene, and the soundtrack is in the right key I’ll be happy.

paulm

#4240 Post by paulm » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm

I just bought the Lionsgate/Studio Canal blu-rays of The Third Man and Contempt a week ago (admittedly through an Amazon buy 2 get 1 free sale), so if they're coming back to Criterion discs, you can thank me haha.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#4241 Post by Shrew » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:35 pm

The Third Man was up on the channel with the Criterion logo about a year ago. Someone here had a post where they contacted Lionsgate or Studio Canal about it and they stated that they had no idea why the Criterion logo was there and reaffirmed that Criterion did not have the rights. So while that doesn't preclude these from coming back into print with Criterion, it shouldn't be taken as a definite sign.

Amazing Goose

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4242 Post by Amazing Goose » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Days of Heaven is still on there, too, so there’s not a direct correlation.

I’m debating selling my Third Man blu and Grand Illusion DVD, but if their appearance on the channel isn’t reliable harbinger of their return to the physical collection, I may hold off (and I’m still a little burned from selling my Chungking Express disc...)

andyli

#4243 Post by andyli » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:57 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:'The Grand Illusion', 'The Third Man' and 'Contempt' are back on the Channel, and they all open up with the Criterion Collection logo and they seem to be using the newer remasters.
Has there been a newer remaster for Contempt?

FrauBlucher

#4244 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:22 pm

Amazing Goose wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:10 pm

I’m debating selling my Third Man blu and Grand Illusion DVD, but if their appearance on the channel isn’t reliable harbinger of their return to the physical collection, I may hold off (and I’m still a little burned from selling my Chungking Express disc...)
Agreed. They may have secured rights for streaming. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee a physical release. I do think a Contempt bluray will happen based on what the KL Insider said.

hearthesilence

#4245 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:01 pm

Amazing Goose wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:10 pm

FWIW, I sold the Third Man BD years ago (for $200 after subtracting fees!) and have been fine with the UK BD. The soundtrack has issues, but so did the Criterion BD (albeit different issues) and it was nothing that would make the Criterion BD truly preferable. The big loss of course is the Soderbergh/Gilroy commentary track, but I was able to rip it from a YouTube upload and make an mp3. Not ideal, but it does the trick whether I play it on my stereo or my laptop (via iTunes) with the BD playing on the TV.

Amazing Goose

#4246 Post by Amazing Goose » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:21 am

That's helpful to hear, actually. If for nothing else than because I can sometimes get a little too precious with my Criterion releases. With the backlog of releases I've bought and yet to watch (are we still calling those kevyips?), it's been a long time since I've even watch my Third Man disc and I have plenty to keep me busy for a while as well. (Now watch me put it up on eBay this weekend and a re-release get announced and tank the final-hour price fight.)

hearthesilence

#4247 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 am

Amazing Goose wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:21 am
That's helpful to hear, actually. If for nothing else than because I can sometimes get a little too precious with my Criterion releases. With the backlog of releases I've bought and yet to watch (are we still calling those kevyips?), it's been a long time since I've even watch my Third Man disc and I have plenty to keep me busy for a while as well. (Now watch me put it up on eBay this weekend and a re-release get announced and tank the final-hour price fight.)
I actually used Amazon and it was the last thing I sold on there before they loaded it up with bureaucratic nonsense that made it unfeasible for a casual seller like myself. eBay may be the only game in town - there's nothing else that has the same reach, and discogs' attempt to do a film version of their site completely flopped.

therewillbeblus

#4248 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:35 am

Conversely I find the release priceless- I rented Criterion’s The Third Man from my local lib countless times, then pulled the plug and bought it off eBay years ago for a good price (relatively speaking) but still haven’t watched it. I could sell the still-sealed disc for probably three times what I paid but having the opportunity to break out the disc and listen to the commentaries on a whim into my old age vs some cash in my pocket now (that I’ll surely blow just as quickly on other media) is an easy call

senseabove

#4249 Post by senseabove » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:57 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 am
I actually used Amazon and it was the last thing I sold on there before they loaded it up with bureaucratic nonsense that made it unfeasible for a casual seller like myself. eBay may be the only game in town - there's nothing else that has the same reach, and discogs' attempt to do a film version of their site completely flopped.
eBay is now demanding my social security number if I want to sell anything, so even they're not casual enough for me anymore...

Amazing Goose

#4250 Post by Amazing Goose » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:48 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:35 am
Conversely I find the release priceless- I rented Criterion’s The Third Man from my local lib countless times, then pulled the plug and bought it off eBay years ago for a good price (relatively speaking) but still haven’t watched it. I could sell the still-sealed disc for probably three times what I paid but having the opportunity to break out the disc and listen to the commentaries on a whim into my old age vs some cash in my pocket now (that I’ll surely blow just as quickly on other media) is an easy call
These days I'm a stay-at-home dad with two young children by day and I work from a home office in the evenings (and nights), so my time for even watching a Criterion film is pretty limited. Listening to commentaries or exploring bonus features is a luxury I don't anticipate having any time soon.

And yes, i was just thinking earlier today how I used to sell all of my old DVDs on Amazon, but since they updated their rules I've almost forgotten that I used to do that.

I'm first and foremost a movie-lover, but seem to be cursed with trying to make any money from my collecting--I sold my Chungking Express blu when the box was hinted at in the New Year's clue, only to find out about the "restorations" (still going to use that money to buy the box); I held onto my Sternberg DVD box when it was selling for a lot, only to have it be re-released in blu; and bought a couple extra copies of In the Mood for Love, expecting for them to go out of print once the WKW box was released, but another post has Criterion confirming that the original edition is staying in print (for now, anyway.) So if I hang onto my copy of The Third Man, it'll likely come back into print this month or next.
The lesson is to just enjoy the films for what they are.