Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Ribs

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#5876 Post by Ribs » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:27 am

Criterion will, in some capacity, be putting out a remastered version of Lynch (One) this year. Could very well just be on the Channel or maybe tied to Lynch/Oz if that will be getting a disc of its own.

FrauBlucher

#5877 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:56 am

I can't imagine this not getting a physical release of some kind

Finch

#5878 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:26 am

If it does, it's starting to feel like overkill with all those Lynch documentaries (and I say this as a fan of the man). The Art Life already has a spine (and I bought it) and they bought the documentary (at least I think they did!) about the impact of The Wizard of Oz on DL. I totally realise that this would almost certainly a bigger moneymaker (I don't feel the need to own it; The Art Life has scratched my Lynch documentary itch sufficiently) than, say, any of the Gosha titles they've been sitting on for so long, but still, I would rather they stick Lynch (One) as a bonus feature on some kind of Collected Works of David Lynch set than giving it its own spine. But it IS about the economics and maybe they'll bother releasing Gosha as well as this.

DeprongMori

#5879 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:25 pm

Ribs wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:27 am
Criterion will, in some capacity, be putting out a remastered version of Lynch (One) this year. Could very well just be on the Channel or maybe tied to Lynch/Oz if that will be getting a disc of its own.
Not sure whether this is a recent update to the extras, but Lynch (One) (and Lynch2) is being packaged with Inland Empire

I suspect Lynch/Oz would likely get packaged with an eventual release of Wild at Heart, if that ever comes over to Criterion.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5880 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:26 pm

Those were both in the original announcement. So there you have it

omegadirective

#5881 Post by omegadirective » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:00 am

Holy crap!
The criterion prices on Amazon canada for May’s releases have gone up $20 compared to previous new releases.
Thelma & Louise is listed at $83CAD while Seventh Seal is listed at $63 CAD.
Targets is listed as $66 and Inland Empires was $52.

fiendishthingy

#5882 Post by fiendishthingy » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:53 am

I checked Amazon US, and the May releases are all listed at the usual SRPs, though there’s no discount, at least at this point. I’m not sure how soon they normally lower the prices on newly announced Criterion releases, but the other upcoming titles are all marked down.

dwk

#5883 Post by dwk » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:37 am

I saw it mentioned on the Blu-ray.com forum that the Amazon.ca pre-orders for Radiance's recent announcements have also shot way up in price.

senseabove

#5884 Post by senseabove » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:12 pm

Interesting... Someone wrote to the French label that released the Letter From an Unknown Woman UHD about the gamma issue and they replied with the expected "trust us it's fine but we'll look into it," but also:
Indeed this is a new 4K master from a new 4K restoration provided from Paramount and Janus Films, so it is possible there is a difference between the previous 2017 master and the new one your purchased.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#5885 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:25 pm

I’ll admit I’m skeptical at this information as it seems Janus is no longer doing restorations internally, let alone doing one in conjunction with Paramount. Criterion also hasn’t touched anything from Republic Pictures since the laserdisc of this film. I believe the Olive Films Blu-ray was already sourced from a 4K master done by Paramount.

dwk

#5886 Post by dwk » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:22 pm

Even if they are no long doing restorations (which I don't think is true,) it is already done, so it would pre-date any cessation of doing that kind of work.

DRW.mov

#5887 Post by DRW.mov » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:21 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:25 pm
I’ll admit I’m skeptical at this information as it seems Janus is no longer doing restorations internally, let alone doing one in conjunction with Paramount. Criterion also hasn’t touched anything from Republic Pictures since the laserdisc of this film. I believe the Olive Films Blu-ray was already sourced from a 4K master done by Paramount.
Not to refute every single one of your points but…

Criterion just did their own restoration of TARGETS, a Paramount title, and only a few years ago released Borzage’s MOONRISE, a Republic title, licensed from Paramount and featuring the Republic logo on the back.
So yes, this does sound plausible.

yoloswegmaster

#5888 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:41 pm

Was Criterion behind the restoration of Targets or was it Paramount that performed it? BFI made it sound like that they were waiting on Paramount to finish the restoration when they had originally delayed the release.

On a side note, I was surprised to see Janus credited for the restoration alongside Paramount, as I was under the impression that Janus were only involved with the funding stage whenever they were credited for a restoration and I don't ever recall them being credited alongside a big company like Paramount.

DRW.mov

#5889 Post by DRW.mov » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:35 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:41 pm
Was Criterion behind the restoration of Targets or was it Paramount that performed it? BFI made it sound like that they were waiting on Paramount to finish the restoration when they had originally delayed the release.

On a side note, I was surprised to see Janus credited for the restoration alongside Paramount, as I was under the impression that Janus were only involved with the funding stage whenever they were credited for a restoration and I don't ever recall them being credited alongside a big company like Paramount.
Yes, they were. Paramount provided BFI with their existing HD master, which BFI found lacking and decided to wait until Criterion completed their own.

Additionally, I recall Janus being credited alongside MGM on the Some Like It Hot restoration that premiered at festivals a few years ago.

DRW.mov

#5890 Post by DRW.mov » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:53 pm

This now has me looking into Olive Films since it feels like forever since I’ve heard about them and it seems like they haven’t put out a release in over two years, and even in 2020 they only had 3 titles, only 1 of which being a new license. Is Olive defunct?

If so and if Criterion do have their hands on Letter, it would be really fascinating to see Criterion take their hand at more of their former Signature line (like Body Snatchers, High Noon, Johnny Guitar, Welles’ Macbeth, Bound, etc). They’ve already, very recently licensed two former Olive title in the form of Cooley High and Hollywood Shuffle. Now with Romeo and Juliet and Targets showcasing a fresh crop of Paramount titles, I wouldn’t put it out of the realm of possibilities.

MichaelMiles

#5891 Post by MichaelMiles » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:24 am

Does anyone know what is happening with Kurosawa and Criterion? It seems like ages since any new titles or upgrades. Red Beard was restored years ago but still no upgrade. A number of titles need upgrades and some have never been released at all eg: Quiet Duel and Rhapsody in August.

Elizabeth Corday

#5892 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:23 am

With the Oscars coming next month, what do you suppose the chances are for The Heroic Trio set to be released? I am hoping and praying particularly if Michelle wins the award for Best Actress.

(While I'm on the subject, is she friends with Maggie and was she also friends with Anita? I always wondered especially since they worked together on several projects.)

Matt

#5893 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:31 pm

We know it's coming sometime soon, but I don't think that an Oscar win for Yeoh is going to accelerate the production timeline (or a loss slow it down). Criterion do things on their own schedule and it will take as long as it takes. Besides, there's the theatrical re-release to come first, and that doesn't start until mid-March.

dwk

#5894 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:39 pm

That tweet was from last year.

ryannichols7

#5895 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:16 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:35 pm
Yes, they were. Paramount provided BFI with their existing HD master, which BFI found lacking and decided to wait until Criterion completed their own.

Additionally, I recall Janus being credited alongside MGM on the Some Like It Hot restoration that premiered at festivals a few years ago.
that would explain a lot as to the wait for the BFI edition. I admit I'll be very impressed if the BFI are able to use the Criterion master (and by the sounds of it, they are), since Criterion seem to not be as willing to share masters and extras with the UK labels as they were in the past, instead releasing the titles themselves in the UK. wonder if there was some sort of gentlemen's agreement there (and an easy one would've been BFI allowing Criterion to license their HDR master of The Seventh Seal, but alas...)

Janus helped restore SLIH as well as The Cameraman, both recent ones from memory. I'm sure they're still doing their own restorations. that said, if they really did restore Letter From an Unknown Woman, it would admittedly be hilarious that their own restoration got released in another country before a Criterion disc.
DRW.mov wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:53 pm
This now has me looking into Olive Films since it feels like forever since I’ve heard about them and it seems like they haven’t put out a release in over two years, and even in 2020 they only had 3 titles, only 1 of which being a new license. Is Olive defunct?

If so and if Criterion do have their hands on Letter, it would be really fascinating to see Criterion take their hand at more of their former Signature line (like Body Snatchers, High Noon, Johnny Guitar, Welles’ Macbeth, Bound, etc). They’ve already, very recently licensed two former Olive title in the form of Cooley High and Hollywood Shuffle. Now with Romeo and Juliet and Targets showcasing a fresh crop of Paramount titles, I wouldn’t put it out of the realm of possibilities.
it really is a mystery what goes on with Olive. their titles will go MIA and fetch high prices on eBay and then the next day they start showing up on Deep Discount and Amazon again at normal prices. I wouldn't be shocked to see Criterion do a slow trickle of these Republic titles, but many of them already got either good Olive Signature releases, or fantastic UK ones (the MOC editions of Johnny Guitar and Rio Grande are so definitive I have no idea what else could be added, aside from UHDs of those titles). considering there are probably three Welles titles we know are in the works (The Trial, The Other Side of the Wind, and Mr. Arkadin), I can't imagine Macbeth would be the highest priority, even if it was available to them. I've moreso been waiting for a UK label (MOC or Indicator) to tackle some of these.

but since Letter is a laserdisc title (and a film I really love), I wouldn't be shocked at all if a Criterion release came forward at some point. I just think there are bigger Paramount fish to fry - Paper Moon being a very logical one after Targets
MichaelMiles wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:24 am
Does anyone know what is happening with Kurosawa and Criterion? It seems like ages since any new titles or upgrades. Red Beard was restored years ago but still no upgrade. A number of titles need upgrades and some have never been released at all eg: Quiet Duel and Rhapsody in August.
it's largely reliant on Toho, who controls the majority of his catalog. they have begun releasing UHDs of his films (without HDR) in Japan, so it'll surely be a matter of time. Kagemusha is reliant on Fox, Dreams could be an upgrade candidate at any time, and I'm sure Rhapsody in August would need to be restored first. and who knows, Ran could return since Lionsgate weirdly just did it as a Best Buy exclusive in the states which is no longer in print.
Matt wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:31 pm
We know it's coming sometime soon, but I don't think that an Oscar win for Yeoh is going to accelerate the production timeline (or a loss slow it down). Criterion do things on their own schedule and it will take as long as it takes. Besides, there's the theatrical re-release to come first, and that doesn't start until mid-March.
I'm sure we'll see it the same month we see Rohmer's Tales of the Four Seasons and the Kinuyo Tanaka set

Matt

#5896 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 pm

dwk wrote:That tweet was from last year.

Elizabeth Corday

#5897 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:11 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:16 pm
I'm sure we'll see it the same month we see Rohmer's Tales of the Four Seasons and the Kinuyo Tanaka set
[/quote]

Poor Ms Tanaka. Shes looking down from above like that Judge Judy 'tick tock' gif. I'm trying to think of anything that could give her new relevance so to speak.

Maggie Cheung was recently seen DJ'ing at an event last year. I was worried she was not doing well because someone told me she is a drug addict. I know she retired but i was wondering if she knows, like that people still love her and new people discovering her and what not. I imagine she's still close with people like Tony, Carina, Michelle, Stanley, etc. She looked great at the event.

Someone mentioned Romeo & Juliet. I know it just got released on bluray. Olivia and Leonard are suing Zeffarelli over being exploited as is the one male actor who played Romeos friend because apparently he was **ped by Zeffarelli. Not that I don't doubt their claims because I do believe that he exploited them but I don't understand why they have waited until now?

Finally I wonder if Amadeus would get released. I'd love a new interview with Tom Hulce. I miss him since he disappeared from Hollywood.

yoshimori

#5898 Post by yoshimori » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:55 am

If this is performance art, it's pure genius.

yoloswegmaster

#5899 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:28 pm

Looks like we have a rare valuable contribution from r/criterion:
A few years ago, I had one of the producers of Happiness in a college zoom class & I asked him about an HD restoration. He said “confidentially, we are working at remastering it and getting it on Criterion”

So I think it’s definitely a matter of when, just wonder what’s taking so long.

Matt

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#5900 Post by Matt » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:05 pm

Amid all this recent abhorrent rhetoric about teachers being “groomers,” I don’t really see it. But I also think Criterion generally flies just under the mainstream radar and a release wouldn’t really cause a big stir, so maybe? Who knows?

It’s like we’re back to the early DVD days of Criterion where you can’t trust or believe ANY “forthcoming” rumor until you see the disc actual announced.