Criterion U.K.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
MichaelB

Re: Criterion U.K.

#576 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Can't see why: presumably Mosfilm still owns world rights (I assume that co-production partner Belarusfilm didn't handle international distribution), and its last UK video release (first and only, in fact) was way back in 2005, so I'd be surprised if Nouveaux Pictures still had the rights after fifteen years when their disc seems to be long OOP.

The issues with Andrei Rublev and War and Peace had nothing to do with UK rights, and Criterion has released other Mosfilm titles in the UK (the other Tarkovskys, for instance). So unless someone bought up the UK rights more recently and perversely decided to do nothing with them... well, that's not very likely, especially in the current climate.

Calvin

#577 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Artificial Eye also briefly released it on DVD back in 2011. Mosfilm confirmed to me back in 2017 that Criterion had the UK rights to Come and See, so I would be very surprised if we don't hear about a UK release soon.

Ferocious Detritus

#578 Post by Ferocious Detritus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:34 pm
It has indeed never been cut, and is most unlikely to be. Indeed, it only got a 15 certificate even under a notionally far tougher BBFC regime.

The UK releases of Andrei Rublev and War and Peace are presumed to have been cancelled because of clearly unsimulated animal cruelty carried out for the film (or at least there's no concrete evidence demonstrating otherwise), and it's illegal to distribute such material under the 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act. And under the 1984 Video Recordings Act the BBFC is legally required to remove such footage unless it falls under two exemptions: if the apparent cruelty was faked (and this can be proved), or if it would have happened regardless of the camera's presence. Clearly the second loophole doesn't apply here, and it's very unlikely that the first one does either. Criterion clearly had the option to release cut versions, but chose not to.

But I don't recall this being an issue with Come and See, and I suspect the original classification notice would have mentioned this - and it doesn't.
Indeed, indeed, clearly I suspect.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#579 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Mod here: Your last couple posts mocking MichaelB are so low effort that it barely merits even acknowledging what a naughty boy you are... but nevertheless, that’s enough, Ferocious Detritus

EDIT I missed that you also targeted me with this wankery! Which, I again wish it was funnier but now you’re exhibiting a pattern of harassment. So. I suggest you take a cue from the majority of contributors to this forum and make your next post on this board count and add demonstrable value to a discussion of film, because you will not survive another round of pointless shit-stirring like this

therewillbeblus

#580 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:24 pm

Today I learned that we are not even safe from the consequences of this ‘holiday’ during a quarantine

MichaelB

#581 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:02 am

I didn’t even register this alleged harassment. Was most of it deleted?

UPDATE: Actually, it was Michael Kerpan and swo17 who were also targeted in the same weird ten-minute posting session, but in such a bizarre way that I'm not sure it even qualifies as "harassment". But it's definitely creepy.

("Actually, not sure, definitely")

Ferocious Detritus

#582 Post by Ferocious Detritus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:02 am
I didn’t even register this alleged harassment. Was most of it deleted?

UPDATE: Actually, it was Michael Kerpan and swo17 who were also targeted in the same weird ten-minute posting session, but in such a bizarre way that I'm not sure it even qualifies as "harassment". But it's definitely creepy.

("Actually, not sure, definitely")
Yeth, moth of it wath deleted, Mither Brooke. I realizthe the teleprompter wath broken tho ith hard to follow along thometimes.

Ferocious Detritus

#583 Post by Ferocious Detritus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:12 pm
Mod here: Your last couple posts mocking MichaelB are so low effort that it barely merits even acknowledging what a naughty boy you are... but nevertheless, that’s enough, Ferocious Detritus

EDIT I missed that you also targeted me with this wankery! Which, I again wish it was funnier but now you’re exhibiting a pattern of harassment. So. I suggest you take a cue from the majority of contributors to this forum and make your next post on this board count and add demonstrable value to a discussion of film, because you will not survive another round of pointless shit-stirring like this
The fact that you assumed a each of four-post barrage of responses was aimed entirely at you when in fact it was aimed at four of the more prominent and annoying members here (yes, including you) indicates your level of narcissism and proves the point of my exercise.

Sure, call my mocking "harassment" and threaten my dismissal if it continues; what then do you call it when you yourself have parroted my own words about Cassavetes and Scorsese elsewhere on the board, for no real reason than to mock and harass me? Oh, but you're the AV Substi -- I mean, Lord Moderator, so I guess what you say goes, "Boss."

And do you really think banning me makes a difference? I've been posting here for almost twenty years under as many burner accounts. I've been named Richard Cranium Award Winner five times! I'm currently registered here under half a dozen names ready to go at a moment's notice. Good luck you shoulder-less dweebs!

dwk

#584 Post by dwk » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 pm

According to Amazon, the UK releasea for July are:
The Cameraman
Female Trouble
Three Outlaw Samurai
Last edited by dwk on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#585 Post by knives » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Ferocious Detritus wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm
And do you really think banning me makes a difference? I've been posting here for almost twenty years under as many burner accounts. I've been named Richard Cranium Award Winner five times! I'm currently registered here under half a dozen names ready to go at a moment's notice. Good luck you shoulder-less dweebs!
This honestly has to be the most depressing thing I've ever read. What kind of life must a person have to do that let alone brag about it. Though now I wonder what the five names are. PSUfootball for sure I'd think.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#586 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 pm

I have no idea what "shoulder-less" even means, unless he's accusing us of being a fun, blousy top for spring

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#587 Post by soundchaser » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 pm

Well, I know I’m not a mod, but can I suggest nixing the Richard Cranium award? If it’s a badge of honor...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#588 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to eliminating it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#589 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:39 pm

I've never voted for it or Member of the Year, preach y'all

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#590 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:07 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 pm
I have no idea what "shoulder-less" even means, unless he's accusing us of being a fun, blousy top for spring
shoulder-less = carry no weight / impotent
which is kind of blousy too in the passed one's best-lost their looks kind of way.

P.S I know it's blowsy but cut me some poetic licence slack here.

I guess a new lockdown internet list game will be guessing the pseudos of our pal Detritus
Last edited by NABOB OF NOWHERE on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#591 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:16 am

domino harvey wrote:I've never voted for it or Member of the Year, preach y'all
Neither have I. In fact, I won Member of the Year once and didn’t find out for months (maybe years) because I wasn’t reading the relevant thread and nobody thought to tell me.

Which I reckon speaks volumes in itself.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#592 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:16 am
domino harvey wrote:I've never voted for it or Member of the Year, preach y'all
Neither have I. In fact, I won Member of the Year once and didn’t find out for months (maybe years) because I wasn’t reading the relevant thread and nobody thought to tell me.

Which I reckon speaks volumes in itself.
won, relevant,volumes

TMDaines

#593 Post by TMDaines » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:27 am

dwk wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 pm
According to Amazon, the UK releasea for July are:
The Cameraman
Female Trouble
Three Outlaw Samurai
Yey for the Keaton!

MichaelB

#594 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 am

And yay for Female Trouble, which I very nearly imported.

I'm going to spring that one on my wife, as I suspect she'd love it - Serial Mom is one of her all-time favourite films, but I don't think she's been exposed to early John Waters yet. But we first bonded over a shared love of howlingly bad-taste comedy (our first date was shortly after the broadcast of Chris Morris's Brass Eye Paedophile Special, and someone in the café was reading the Daily Mail with "SICKEST TV SHOW EVER" on the front page, which was the perfect icebreaker), so this will probably be right up her street.

EddieLarkin

#595 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:58 am

I watched my Region A copy of Female Trouble a couple of days ago, though the blow is softened by the fact it was one of a bunch of titles I picked up directly in NYC a few months back. For any fellow Brits who are there outside of B&N sale periods, don't pass up the chance to visit Academy Records & CDs on 18th St. They are a used store but have a huge Blu-ray selection, which is primiarly made up of Criterion titles. Half of the stuff they have are actually still shrinkwrapped, and the rest are in near mint condition (and unlike CEX over here, their price stickers are tiny and leave no markings at all). All standard titles are between $19 and $22. I visited twice whilst I was there and walked out with around 12 titles each time...

FrauBlucher

#596 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:56 am

That’s where I sell my Blurays. They also specialize in classical music and jazz. You can purchase plenty of rare vinyl from them. I’m hoping they will be able to re-open up after the coronavirus lockdown.

Apperson

#597 Post by Apperson » Fri May 22, 2020 5:45 am

August titles:

The Lady Eve

Taste of Cherry

Marriage Story- which I guess is a digipack based on the price.

TMDaines

#598 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 pm

Now that Criterion UK has finally built up a little bit of momentum and we're getting welcome releases, it is kind of nice to get that buzz of cracking open a package of dozen or so releases during a sale WITHOUT having to run the gauntlet of customs.

rapta

#599 Post by rapta » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:52 am

The most recent 2 for £25 offer is very much appreciated as it seems to include everything up to, and including, April of this year. Thus I have already ordered and received La Jetée/Sans Soleil, Fail Safe, Antonio Gaudí, Anatomy of a Murder, The Cranes are Flying, and They Live by Night from HMV in the past few days. Tempted to drop back in but there are now very few titles of interest in the offer that I don't already own...guess I'll just wait for the next one!

Billy Beta

#600 Post by Billy Beta » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 am

Does anybody know about the UK rights for Rohmer's Six Moral Tales? I'd love to get it (nay desperate) but if there's a chance it might come to the UK then I'd wait. It seems with UK releases it's almost impossible to get any info or teasers regarding the releases.

I love Criterion but collecting the UK versions does feel like the pursuit of a neglected step-child...