Criterion and UHD

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Ribs

Re: Criterion and UHD

#351 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:11 pm

Luke M wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am
I'm guessing Mulholland Drive on account of the Studio Canal 4K being released.
This would not be consistent with what we’ve been told seeing as that title is no longer licensed, it’s owned by Janus.

mteller

#352 Post by mteller » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:43 pm

I'm gonna guess Royal Tenenbaums

yoloswegmaster

#353 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:52 pm

I have sent the proof to Chris, so he can verify that I'm not messing around here.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#354 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:54 pm

And it looks legit

dwk

#355 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm

If it is something licensed from a studio, and if it is something they've already released, it could be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Universal is open to licensing UHD rights, it is one of Criterion's best selling titles, and there is a 4K master.
Last edited by dwk on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#356 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:03 pm

I do not believe Fear and Loathing is anywhere near their best selling title of all time anymore (specifically I believe Godzilla and Police Story claimed that title). I would also reiterate that there is not particularly compelling evidence that WB and Fox/Disney wouldn’t be happy to license UHD rights for who at the moment are their strongest external video partners.

black&huge

#357 Post by black&huge » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:07 pm

About fuckin time. Probably a Wes Anderson flick.

dwk

#358 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:09 pm

Ribs wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:03 pm
I do not believe Fear and Loathing is anywhere near their best selling title of all time anymore (specifically I believe Godzilla and Police Story claimed that title). I would also reiterate that there is not particularly compelling evidence that WB and Fox/Disney wouldn’t be happy to license UHD rights for who at the moment are their strongest external video partners.
I'll amend it then, one of their best selling titles. I'm not convinced that WB is willing to license UHD rights, but you could be correct about the Mouse House.

mhofmann

#359 Post by mhofmann » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:18 pm

So we'll get compression artifacts in 4K resolution now? :D

In all seriousness, I hope this is just the beginning for 4K UHD Criterions... it's been about time. Looking forward!

therewillbeblus

#360 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:16 pm

I'm happy for those who wanted this, but I'm a bit worried (along a similar line of thought to my concerns about the streaming services deals) that there will be a shift in prioritization from upgrading blu to UHD when we still have DVD titles desperately needing an upgrade to merely HD. If those DVD titles have nowhere near the materials necessary to warrant a quality UHD, will they be cast aside in favor of the blu->UHD upgrades? Or will Criterion be upgrading each here and there switching off, as their usual additive upgrade/reissue of the month? I understand that some of you care much, much more about the quality of UHD than I do, but the jump in quality from DVD to blu feels far more significant than blu to UHD... and I would hate to see some of the DVD-only films left (i.e. would a film like Schizopolis ever be treated with UHD treatment?) remain in limbo indefinitely or for longer because of the push to join the latest technology.

Ribs

#361 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:20 pm

It seems somewhat odd to pick a Soderbergh movie when Soderbergh has stated his intention of releasing even the Gray films on 4K very soon. Much like Arrow or Kino, Criterion will release some things on UHD, but won’t suddenly shift to it being every release - some will be new titles, some will be upgrades from BD, some will be upgrades from DVD. I don’t think we’re suddenly going to get Ikarie XB1 on 4K or Satyajit Ray films, though I’d like to imagine they’ll be a little more like Arrow and have a steady stream of releases and over time the titles will be able to be more adventurous.

jedgeco

#362 Post by jedgeco » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:29 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:16 pm
(i.e. would a film like Schizopolis ever be treated with UHD treatment?)
FWIW, Soderbergh apparently has done a 4K HDR pass on Schizopolis.

tolbs1010

#363 Post by tolbs1010 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Hoping it's There Will Be Blood. The blu that is available is pretty meh, both in presentation and supplements. PTA's best film should get the Criterion treatment.

ShellOilJunior

#364 Post by ShellOilJunior » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:04 pm

If it's an existing spine, my money is on The Royal Tenenbaums. The blu-ray release in 2012 moved 15k units in its first week and lord knows how many since.

If it's a new spine, There Will Be Blood would be fantastic.

chrisandy007

#365 Post by chrisandy007 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:13 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
I'm happy for those who wanted this, but I'm a bit worried (along a similar line of thought to my concerns about the streaming services deals) that there will be a shift in prioritization from upgrading blu to UHD when we still have DVD titles desperately needing an upgrade to merely HD. If those DVD titles have nowhere near the materials necessary to warrant a quality UHD, will they be cast aside in favor of the blu->UHD upgrades? Or will Criterion be upgrading each here and there switching off, as their usual additive upgrade/reissue of the month? I understand that some of you care much, much more about the quality of UHD than I do, but the jump in quality from DVD to blu feels far more significant than blu to UHD... and I would hate to see some of the DVD-only films left (i.e. would a film like Schizopolis ever be treated with UHD treatment?) remain in limbo indefinitely or for longer because of the push to join the latest technology.
I don't think it's one over the other, and I think it's well overdue to get films in the best possible format.

hearthesilence

#366 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Are all Criterion sales figures published anywhere? I'm curious which titles are their best sellers (and which Blu-rays have sold the lowest numbers).

ShellOilJunior

#367 Post by ShellOilJunior » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 pm

The best I could find was on: https://www.the-numbers.com/ but it seems like sales figures are not available unless the title charted its first week (top 20).

Mulholland Dr. sold 14k its first week. Another contender, The Silence of the Lambs, does not have sales figures available because it didn't chart.

dwk

#368 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm

It was during the B&N sale, the Bruce Lee set sold nearly 35,000 copies its first week (Come and See and War of the Worlds also are on that chart at 11 and 12 with over 16,000 copies sold.)

therewillbeblus

#369 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:14 pm

ShellOilJunior wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 pm
Another contender, The Silence of the Lambs, does not have sales figures available because it didn't chart.
Technically The Silence of the Lambs was released 30 years and five months ago, so it doesn't fit yoloswegmaster's descriptor - unless they were being loose and deliberate around the 30 year hint, to include all films from '91, in which case this would be the likely answer

Ribs

#370 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Technically speaking, I believe if Criterion were to want to upgrade an MGM movie they currently have under license they would not have to have new agreements with the studio (Kino has indicated that their MGM contracts only cover the transfer and do not specify specific formats, so they for example did not need to add The Good The Bad and the Ugly to their deal to do a UHD). I'm not entirely sure his wording indicates it's a new license/agreement with the studio but the fact the studio would be involved enough to confirm or deny would lead me to believe so. It would, obviously, be great if Criterion could get on upgrading their key MGM catalog sooner rather than later, as the truth is had Kino been able to outbid Criterion they definitely would be planning UHDs of Silence of the Lambs and The Great Escape among plenty of others. (That Arrow still has not done any MGM 4K titles nor actively rumored to be releasing any imminently is perplexing).

FrauBlucher

#371 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:14 pm
ShellOilJunior wrote:
Another contender, The Silence of the Lambs, does not have sales figures available because it didn't chart.
Technically The Silence of the Lambs was released 30 years and five months ago, so it doesn't fit yoloswegmaster's descriptor - unless they were being loose and deliberate around the 30 year hint, to include all films from '91, in which case this would be the likely answer
The 30 year mark is probably approximiate in either direction. I think this probably has a very good chance. This way they only have to release the UHD and don't have to create a dual format
tolbs1010 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:40 pm
Hoping it's There Will Be Blood. The blu that is available is pretty meh, both in presentation and supplements. PTA's best film should get the Criterion treatment.
As much as I would love this I don't believe this will happen. This is a Paramount title. Who know what's going on with Paramount and Criterion. But speaking of PT Anderson, I guess both Boogie Nights (returning to the Collection from the laser days) and Magnolia are distinct possibilities

solaris72

#372 Post by solaris72 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:03 pm

I've been thinking for a while that The Tree of Life would likely be one of their first UHDs, it's a visually gorgeous film and they put a lot of resources into making the extended cut.

Saturnome

#373 Post by Saturnome » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:24 pm

It's Hoop Dreams.

I thought for a long time I'd upgrade when Criterion do, but I absolutely can't afford to buy new equipement. My TV from 2009 is still good. ( ...But I remember thinking way back in 2008 that I didn't need to upgrade either!) I live among people who have no TV, or use their small laptop screen to watch movies, my TV somehow still look impressive to people, I'll look crazy trying to replace it.

therewillbeblus

#374 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:44 pm

jedgeco wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:29 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
(i.e. would a film like Schizopolis ever be treated with UHD treatment?)
FWIW, Soderbergh apparently has done a 4K HDR pass on Schizopolis.
I totally forgot this was one of the seven titles coming soon, and I checked this very information the other week to remind myself..
FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:14 pm
ShellOilJunior wrote:
The 30 year mark is probably approximiate in either direction. I think this probably has a very good chance. This way they only have to release the UHD and don't have to create a dual format
That would be very heartening as an indication for their release model, though I don't know how sustainable that'd be for long

FrauBlucher

#375 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:04 pm

It would be sustainable if it's a few select number of titles