Post-Bergman Boxing Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
therewillbeblus

Re: Post-Bergman Boxing Speculation

#126 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:18 pm

Since they still haven’t released a standalone blu of The Last Picture Show following the annual late-springtime 2015/2016 back-to-back Five Easy Pieces/Easy Rider reissues breaking up the Lost and Found box, I wonder if they’re planning on a Bogdanovich box. I’ve long questioned why Criterion or another company hasn’t jumped on Paper Moon, which seems like a no-brainer release, and plenty of titles in his oeuvre (pre-Stratten’s death, at least) feel like easy enough pickups. Especially a rescue of At Long Last Love since the Fox blu is OOP and going for hundreds, before the merger squashes it even further into obscurity, would be beyond gratifying.

hearthesilence

#127 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:18 pm
Since they still haven’t released a standalone blu of The Last Picture Show following the annual late-springtime 2015/2016 back-to-back Five Easy Pieces/Easy Rider reissues breaking up the Lost and Found box, I wonder if they’re planning on a Bogdanovich box. I’ve long questioned why Criterion or another company hasn’t jumped on Paper Moon, which seems like a no-brainer release, and plenty of titles in his oeuvre (pre-Stratten’s death, at least) feel like easy enough pickups. Especially a rescue of At Long Last Love since the Fox blu is OOP and going for hundreds, before the merger squashes it even further into obscurity, would be beyond gratifying.
Hell, I'd settle for a double-feature package that includes The Last Picture Show and Bogdanovich's longer and long out-of-print director's cut for Texasville (with the released theatrical cut as a bonus).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#128 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:49 pm

With a Hollywood director like Bogdanovich who never had a studio home for long, you're getting into the issue of convincing multiple studios to play ball on a single project. Criterion got Sony and WB to sign off on the Del Toro and Before boxes and WB/Universal on the Stillman set, but even a collection of, say, Bogdanovich's '70s comedies would require the cooperation of Sony, WB, Fox/Disney, and Paramount. For a Bogdanovich/Shepherd set you'd be talking those minus WB; for Bogdanovich/O'Neal it's those minus Sony. The only way I could see Criterion pulling it off is if it's something smaller like hearthesilence's idea, or an "Essential Bogdanovich" set of whatever random titles they're allowed to throw together but which would probably exclude more of the key and sought-after films than the Fellini set.

Does the Texasville director's cut actually exist on 35mm? I can't find any online record of the director's cut being screened theatrically, so I'm wondering if the part of the holdup is that it might've been assembled on SD video and would have to be reconstructed for an HD release.

therewillbeblus

#129 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 pm

I hear you, and I’m obviously in the dark here somewhat about rights and deals, but Criterion’s various partnerships seem to indicate that a fair amount of these films would be easy to enough to get- nobody is fighting over who can release Daisy Miller, Nickelodeon or They All Laughed (sadly). Between Paramount and Warners, I think Criterion could get a solid chunk out, and I’m really just wishful thinking about anything contingent on Fox.

I imagine in those other examples, especially the Before films, there was leverage since it needed to be released as a trilogy, but nobody -except a few of us here- is going to gripe about what is and isn’t “essential” in a Bogdanovich set. The whole thing is really just baseless speculation and hard to package around a focal point in his career- I could see Indicator doing something more easily, especially since they don’t seem as averse to releasing titles with low critical appraisal that are actually good.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#130 Post by soundchaser » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Paper Moon could be one of those mystery titles Paramount just refuses to license out in the US, especially given Tatum O’Neal’s Oscar win. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it as a future Paramount Presents release. (Although the MoC disc is excellent!) I’m surprised to see the silly money What’s Up, Doc? is going for these days, since it’s almost certainly going to be rereleased on Warner Archive.

therewillbeblus

#131 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:45 pm
Paper Moon could be one of those mystery titles Paramount just refuses to license out in the US, especially given Tatum O’Neal’s Oscar win. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it as a future Paramount Presents release. (Although the MoC disc is excellent!)
Yeah I could see that, it’s continued absence from the market is inexplicable, especially when there’s (I agree) an excellent print on the MoC disc

willoneill

#132 Post by willoneill » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 pm

It seems to me that the majority of these big sets revolve around directors who have some sort of art-house cache, where Criterion has access to large chunks of their catalogue. So the most obvious possibilities to me are Ozu, Kurosawa, classic-era Godard, Truffaut, Rossellini, Fassbinder, and maybe Powell/Pressburger (plus WKW, of course). God help me, I'd buy all of those. Another interesting possibility would be Almodovar; a sizeable chunk of his catalogue is with Sony, who at this point probably won't be doing a blu-ray version of their old Viva Pedro DVD box set.

The rights are way too complicated, but the Complete Directorial Works of Orson Welles would be interesting.

With regards to the culty genre sets (Zatoichi, Godzilla, Bruce Lee), that's harder to guess for me as to what might come next.

dustybooks

#133 Post by dustybooks » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Not to belabor the obvious but I would certainly love an Ozu or Kurosawa (or Mizoguchi!) set.

Janus has been sitting on Sabotage, Young and Innocent, possibly Secret Agent, etc. for a good while; I wonder if a box devoted to Hitchcock's Gaumont material (which would also encompass The Pleasure Garden and Easy Virtue among the currently-unreleased silents, I think) is a possibility. Assuming Criterion holds onto control of the ABC/Selznick and Wanger titles of his it could be expanded into a fairly comprehensive collection of major works up through 1946-47. But perhaps I'm dreaming.

therewillbeblus

#134 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:41 pm

willoneill wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 pm
Another interesting possibility would be Almodovar; a sizeable chunk of his catalogue is with Sony, who at this point probably won't be doing a blu-ray version of their old Viva Pedro DVD box set.
True, Almodovar has stated that all his films will eventually come to Criterion, and similarly Wenders. There may be a few of these filmmakers who just eke out solo releases slowly over time, but if this strategy catches on things could shift pretty hard. Wenders in particular is an interesting case where all of his films received restorations in the roadshow five years back and we still have yet to see many since (my guess is that if Criterion was already into this giant masterwork box set thing back then we’d have gotten one for him already).

Having said that, I can’t exactly imagine them releasing good underappreciated stuff like The End of Violence and Land of Plenty (not to mention the actually-bad films he’s made in the last few decades) outside of a box set, so maybe we will get one for him after all? Would be a pretty solid plan and probably not too hard if Wenders has a say, restorations are complete, and Criterion can include a bunch of titles that wouldn’t be big sellers alone and jack up the entire set price with them in it.

acroyear

#135 Post by acroyear » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:02 pm

willoneill wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 pm
It seems to me that the majority of these big sets revolve around directors who have some sort of art-house cache, where Criterion has access to large chunks of their catalogue. So the most obvious possibilities to me are Ozu, Kurosawa, classic-era Godard, Truffaut, Rossellini, Fassbinder, and maybe Powell/Pressburger (plus WKW, of course).
Satyajit Ray as well, I'm certain.

dwk

#136 Post by dwk » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 pm

I believe 2021 is Ray's centenary, so a big box is likely. And I still think that a Complete Kiarostami Collection is going to happen.

As for more genre stuff, they have a handful of early Jackie Chan titles (& who knows what other Fortune Star titles they have), the Bulldog Drummond movies, a bunch of Hideo Gosha titles, and the Hanzo the Razor trilogy.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#137 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:30 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:29 pm
Not to belabor the obvious but I would certainly love a... Kurosawa ... set.
There was one!

feihong

#138 Post by feihong » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:32 am

Criterion has a bunch of the higher-profile Seijun Suzuki titles––not just the two they released on blu ray and the two parts of the "Flesh" trilogy they released on DVD (both of which have blu ray transfers in France, a great one for Gate of Flesh and an odd one for Story of a Prostitute), and Youth of the Beast, but at least three from Home Vision (Tattooed Life, the superlative Kanto Wanderer, and Underworld Beauty), as well as Everything Goes Wrong and (I think) Carmen from Kawachi. They could do a cool mature period Suzuki box, but there are other titles like Story of Sorrow and Sadness and Capone Cries Hard and maybe even Pistol Opera and Princess Raccoon that they might be able to get. I could see a "the two late stages of Suzuki" set, profiling his mature period as a Nikkatsu director and contrasting with his mature period as an independent filmmaker. There's also interesting curios they could probably find, like Suzuki's part in the omnibus film, Marriage, and TV movies like The Fang in the Hole, the awesome Cherry Blossoms in Spring, and Choice of a Family: I'll Kill Your Husband for You!, which briefly reunites Suzuki with one of his mainstay Nikkatsu actors, Tamio Kawaji.

mteller

#139 Post by mteller » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:28 am

dwk wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 pm
I believe 2021 is Ray's centenary, so a big box is likely.
I sure hope so. Maybe this is why the Ray releases have slowed down.

The Music Room - Jul 2011
Charulata/Big City - Aug 2013
Late Ray - Jan 2014
Apu trilogy - Nov 2015
The Hero - Feb 2018

We know they have more (all?) of his titles, and while they've released most of the heavy-hitters, there are still some significant omissions (Devi, Days and Nights in the Forest, the Calcutta trilogy). I would buy a complete box in a heartbeat.

therewillbeblus

#140 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:06 am

He's not my favorite, but I think The Adversary is his masterpiece and would love at least a release of that film getting its due.

Calvin

#141 Post by Calvin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:54 am

I see that a restoration of The Great Dictator is showing as part of Il Cinema Ritrovato. It's credited as a 2020 restoration by Criterion. I can't imagine a reason for them to upgrade it on its own, but next year will be the centenery of The Kid, Chaplin's first feature - reason enough for a box set?

yoloswegmaster

#142 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:12 am

I've held off from buying any of the Chaplin titles since I've had a strong feeling that they would release a Chaplin boxset. I wonder if it would be possible for Criterion to include all (if not most) of the silent short films he did, as well as the excellent documentary 'Unknown Chaplin' from Kevin Brownlow and David Gill.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#143 Post by barryconvex » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:18 pm
Hell, I'd settle for a double-feature package that includes The Last Picture Show and Bogdanovich's longer and long out-of-print director's cut for Texasville (with the released theatrical cut as a bonus).
Texasville starts with Jeff Bridges sitting in his hot tub contemplating the trouble his dick has gotten him into over the years- am I remembering that correctly? Annie Potts plays his wife and the film ends with a parade? I haven't seen it since the VHS days...