Criterion and Netflix and Amazon

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
britcom68

Re: Criterion and Netflix and Amazon

#126 Post by britcom68 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:28 am

Not really sure where to post this, so the mods can feel free to move as needed if there is a better thread.

The Pinter/Losey film "The Go-Between" is still up on Amazon streaming but now only to buy or rent. This film had previously been avail under the Amazon Prime banner for Prime-members to get for literally years. I am not sure when it was pulled back from its longstanding free-for-Prime status but I first noticed it in late July when I wanted to re-listen to the Legrand scoring, I waited until now to post as I was wondering if with the new August slate if its status might be changed back, and I have found no trustworthy articles discussing it.
I wonder if Criterion is taking this on in some way with its (rumored) release for Losey's Mr. Klein.

A Tempted Christ

#127 Post by A Tempted Christ » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:23 am

Not sure if it's possible (rights and all), but a Losey/Pinter box set with all three collaborations would make for a fantastic release.

goblinfootballs

#128 Post by goblinfootballs » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Glad Dick Johnson is Dead is getting a release, but at the same time am thinking of that distracted boyfriend meme with Atlantics as the offended girlfriend.

Ribs

#129 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:44 pm

As with many things in the past that took forever to appeae, I would just assume it’s down to the relevant filmmakers’ availability, which obviously could have been impacted by COVID of course but also any number of personal reasons, and I wouldn’t really blame Criterion for preferring to wait until they can get them involved, which is what I would assume the hang-up to be (though the filmmakers of American Factory have premiered two films since, so maybe not).

Close The Door, Raymond

#130 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:38 am

What are the chances of Criterion releasing the following Netflix titles:

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - (dir: Wolfe)
Pieces of a Woman - (dir: Mundruczó)
The White Tiger - (dir: Bahrani)
Passing - (dir: Hall)
Tick, Tick... Boom! - (dir: Miranda)
The Power of the Dog - (dir: Campion)
The Hand of God - (dir: Sorrentino)

and Amazon Prime titles:

Les Misérables - (dir: Ly)
Annette - (dir: Carax)
A Hero - (dir: Farhadi)

Matt

#131 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:13 pm

Ribs

#132 Post by Ribs » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:38 pm

Close The Door, Raymond wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:38 am
What are the chances of Criterion releasing the following Netflix titles:

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - (dir: Wolfe)
Pieces of a Woman - (dir: Mundruczó)
The White Tiger - (dir: Bahrani)
Passing - (dir: Hall)
Tick, Tick... Boom! - (dir: Miranda)
The Power of the Dog - (dir: Campion)
The Hand of God - (dir: Sorrentino)

and Amazon Prime titles:

Les Misérables - (dir: Ly)
Annette - (dir: Carax)
A Hero - (dir: Farhadi)
They will not be releasing all those movies, that’s for sure. I think some of your list are way more likely than others, but mostly I would put forward a reason they want to have deals with Netflix is while it gets things like Roma that sell it also allows them to do titles like Atlantics or Dick Johnson is Dead they really care about and appreciate being able to give a longer life (especially as most of the less, er, popular titles Netflix has fall into a void never to be promoted again). So I would think they would be much quicker to pick up, say, something like The Forty Year Old Version then any of the first five you listed.

As for Amazon it remains to be seen the extent of the relationship as opposed to Netflix where it’s clearly an ongoing thing with new titles being done in addition to the original announced set. Certainly Annette seems like something they would like to do but they don’t have a prior filmmaker relationship that would make me view it as an absolute certainty (and I don’t really think Criterion should concern themselves with it seeing as MUBI will probably have a release ready in the UK way before Criterion would get there, but that’s just me).

britcom68

#133 Post by britcom68 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:31 am

I attended the Wexner Center QandA discussion last night on restoration with Lee Kline and Russell Smith. During the QandA portion, Kline said how pleasantly surprised he was at the sales of the Netfilx-films that Criterion has released, especially The Irishman. Kline did not release the exact numbers of blu-rays sold but said that it was much higher than Criterion anticipated.

Although neither Kline nor Smith discussed any in-progress projects that have not already been announced as forthcoming, it was made clear that their past work with Netflix was not a one-off and that they were looking forward to continuing future releases with Netflix.
Last edited by britcom68 on Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FrauBlucher

#134 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:19 pm

I'm surprised that CC was surprised by the sale numbers for The Irishman. Anyway, that's good to know that there are more Netflix in the pipeline. I do wish they finally release Atlantics soon.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#135 Post by cdnchris » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:56 pm

The Irishman was being sold on the small video swivel stands in all of the Safeways near me so I had to assume it was one of their better sellers.