Forthcoming: Atlantics

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Forthcoming: Atlantics

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:59 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:04 pm
Netflix on Twitter confirms not just Marriage Story, but The Irishman, Atlantics, and American Factory.

Parasite

Re: Forthcoming: Atlantique

#2 Post by Parasite » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:17 am

Last edited by Parasite on Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 am

Very

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#4 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 am

User swo17, you might not have been told this yet by one of the moderators, but we try not to clutter up the forum with short, insubstantive posts. Please aim to make your contributions here meaningful to all members; this isn’t your personal blog.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Forthcoming: Atlantique [Atlantics]

#5 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:35 pm

Fine. To answer the question in more than one word--I thought this was a lovely audiovisual experience but as with a lot of films that I respond to primarily in this way, I struggle to think of much of anything intelligent to say about it. I can say that Claire Denis is an obvious reference point, and not just because my first exposure to Mati Diop was from one of her films. Anyway, I created this inevitably necessary thread partly so there would be something to link to in the Dynamic Consensus thread, and partly hoping that others more eloquent than I can help to deepen my appreciation for this film

senseabove

#6 Post by senseabove » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:48 pm

It left me with the feeling that the visuals were more compelling than the sketch of a narrative... The texture and pace are indeed wonderful, if a little too familiarly Denis, but they never quite achieve something like Denis' sense of psychophysiological immersion to take over for what the narrative lacks. I still quite liked it, and it's one I've heard so much effusive praise for since watching it that I expect I'll revisit it, likely whenever her next feature comes out, which I'll happily be keeping an eye out for.

Mr Sheldrake

#7 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 am

This tested my limited appetite for magical realism. Here it doesn’t seem consistent but that is what makes it magical I guess. The earthly elements were compelling, a good story, colorful setting in Dakar, social mores, a serious art film tone. The supernatural felt intrusive.
SpoilerShow
I was bothered by the moral implications of a spirit inhabiting another man’s body for the purposes of sexual intercourse with the spirit’s lost love. In the context of the movie this is celebrated. I wondered what the reaction would be if the genders were reversed.

knives

#8 Post by knives » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 am

SpoilerShow

JakeStewart

#9 Post by JakeStewart » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 am

Mr Sheldrake wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 am

SpoilerShow
I was bothered by the moral implications of a spirit inhabiting another man’s body for the purposes of sexual intercourse with the spirit’s lost love. In the context of the movie this is celebrated. I wondered what the reaction would be if the genders were reversed.
I think having a female director will more or less quell any objections people might have to its gender politics.
SpoilerShow
I also think that encounter was meant to be seen as more of a liberation of Ada than Souleiman’s spirit.

dustybooks

#10 Post by dustybooks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 am

SpoilerShow
I understand the objections to the logic behind the narrative in this, but I loved almost everything about it -- specifically I was just swept away in how elemental the romantic aspects were, and at least for me, their lack of adherence to any real internal consistency worked well as a visceral gesture toward how it actually feels to be a very young person in completely "illogical, unreasonable" love or lust. Not many films feel for me like they have actual empathy for the feelings of youth, much less any ability to capture them. For me, this had both.

Grand Wazoo

#11 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Mr Sheldrake wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 am
SpoilerShow
I had originally seen this as a glaring, though obviously purposeful plot hole, at least in the the sense that
SpoilerShow
Every body inhabited was a woman, and I believe all were partners of the dead workers. I had it assumed this one choosing a man was based on them not yet having sex, which seemed an acceptable justification even if the "rules" of the spirits seemed to indicate partners only. However, the reasoning is much more complex due to real world factors in Senegal, which Mati Diop explains in this podcast at the 26 min. mark. An interesting perspective came from an actor friend of mine who initially disliked the narrative choice in the film until she heard Diop's reasoning. She totally came around on it and now highly praises it due to Diop putting the safety of her performers over being a perfectionist auteur taskmaster.