1121 Eyimofe (This Is My Desire)

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
dwk

1121 Eyimofe (This Is My Desire)

#1 Post by dwk » Wed May 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Eyimofe (This Is My Desire)

This revelatory, award-winning debut feature from codirectors (and twin brothers) Arie and Chuko Esiri is a heartrending and hopeful portrait of everyday human endurance in Lagos, Nigeria. Shot on richly textured 16 mm film and infused with the spirit of neorealism, Eyimofe (This Is My Desire) traces the journeys of two distantly connected strangers—Mofe (Jude Akuwudike), an electrician dealing with the fallout of a family tragedy, and Rosa (Temi Ami-Williams), a hairdresser supporting her pregnant teenage sister—as they each pursue their dream of starting a new life in Europe while bumping up against the harsh economic realities of a world in which every interaction is a transaction. From these intimate stories emerges a vivid snapshot of life in contemporary Lagos, whose social fabric is captured in all its vibrancy and complexity.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 2K digital transfer, approved by directors Arie and Chuko Esiri, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New conversation between the directors, moderated by filmmaker Bette Gordon
• Interview with producer Melissa O. Adeyemo
• Deleted scenes featuring audio commentary by the directors
• Three short films: Goose (2017), directed by Arie and Chuko Esiri; Besida (2018), directed by Chuko Esiri; and Because Men in Silk Shirts on Lagos Nights (2018), directed by Arie Esiri
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by writer and filmmaker Maryam Kazeem

hearthesilence

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2 Post by hearthesilence » Wed May 26, 2021 4:21 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:55 pm
Ashley Clark tweeted that Criterion will be releasing Eyimofe next year.
COMPLETELY missed this - I thought it was an old film that had fallen into obscurity, but it came out last year!

Pavel

#3 Post by Pavel » Wed May 26, 2021 4:43 pm

Me too! I watched over a hundred 2020 films in my annual catchup, and I was fairly certain I'd at least heard of everything even remotely acclaimed, but this is the first I'm hearing of this film. I dunno if it's good, but at least Criterion introduced me to something new

FrauBlucher

#4 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed May 26, 2021 5:41 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:55 pm
Ashley Clark tweeted that Criterion will be releasing Eyimofe next year.
This is the film here. It is getting a US theatrical release in July (NYers can catch it at the Film Forum).

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

Re: Forthcoming: Eyimofe

#5 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:30 am

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:11 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:22 pm

CSM126

Re: 1121 Eyimofe (This Is My Desire)

#8 Post by CSM126 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Highfire

Re: 1121 Eyimofe (This Is My Desire)

#9 Post by Highfire » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:18 pm

I had the opportunity to review the upcoming Blu-Ray release of Eyimofe, and I have to encourage everyone to check it out when it comes out. The split narrative took me by surprise at first, but I think it was a very effective way to show the parallel struggles of citizens in this country. The Blu-Ray release is really strong, especially the discussion between the directors and Bette Gordon.

If anyone wants to read my in-depth thoughts, I reviewed the release here: https://geekvibesnation.com/eyimofe-thi ... ay-review/

I also spoke about the release briefly and showed off the packaging a bit here: https://youtu.be/plMUBDsj02Y?t=165

Apologies if this type of post is not allowed. I'm excited for people to check this one out.