1205 Mudbound

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
yoloswegmaster

1205 Mudbound

#1 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 am

Mudbound

In the Mississippi Delta of the 1940s, two farming families—one of white landholders, one of Black tenant farmers—are bound by the unforgiving soil they share as they struggle to survive amid the upheavals of World War II and the poisonous hatred of the Jim Crow South. Each family sends a young man off to battle; when they return home, scarred, and find a common bond, the community is ripped apart. Writer-director Dee Rees, with cowriter Virgil Williams, crafts a uniquely American tragedy, imbuing bitter historical realities with a timeless weight. Featuring bone-deep performances from her ensemble cast—including Carey Mulligan, Mary J. Blige, Jason Mitchell, Rob Morgan, Garrett Hedlund, Jason Clarke, and Jonathan Banks—and backed by Rachel Morrison's darkly burnished cinematography, Mudbound is a searing humanist study of inheritance based upon Hillary Jordan's novel.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 2K digital master, supervised by director Dee Rees and director of photography Rachel Morrison, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack
• New audio commentary featuring Rees
• New documentary featuring Rees, composer Tamar-kali, editor Mako Kamitsuna, and makeup artist Angie Wells
• New documentary made on set, featuring members of the cast and crew
• Interview with Morrison
• New interview with production designer David J. Bomba
• Trailer and teaser
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing and English descriptive audio
• PLUS: An essay by critic Danielle Amir Jackson

knives

Re: Forthcoming: Mudbound

#2 Post by knives » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:01 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 am
From The Hollywood Reporter's article on 'Pariah' joining the collection:
Criterion first contacted Rees about releasing Mudbound, which earned a total of four Oscar nominations, but Rees asked them to consider Pariah (Criterion will release Mudbound in the fall).
Rees definitely knows the quality of her films. I’d say her movie Bessie is also better than Mudbound with a truly terrific performance from Queen Latifa and one of the best scenes of that year with the NAACP argument.

therewillbeblus

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:10 am

knives wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:01 am
Rees definitely knows the quality of her films
What does this mean? That Rees knows Pariah is a better movie so she asked them to release that instead, and thus views Mudbound as lesser? I'd imagine that Rees thinks highly of both her features' quality but knows one already has more exposure than the other, and I'm not sure where there's indication that she "knows the quality of her films"- I'm genuinely confused by that statement

knives

#4 Post by knives » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:13 am

That’s a fair interpretation and in hindsight probably the one actually intended. I had taken the statement to mean that she wanted Pariah prioritized due to it being favored, but your argument makes more sense.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 1205 Mudbound

#5 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:00 pm

FrauBlucher

Re: 1205 Mudbound

#6 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:39 pm