1123 Mr. Klein

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1123 Mr. Klein

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:59 am

Mr. Klein

One of the crowning achievements of blacklisted Hollywood director Joseph Losey’s European exile, the spellbinding modernist mystery Mr. Klein puts a chilling twist on the wrong-man thriller. Alain Delon delivers a standout performance as Robert Klein, a decadent art dealer in Paris during World War II who makes a tidy profit buying up paintings from his desperate Jewish clients. As Klein searches for a Jewish man with the same name for whom he has been mistaken, he finds himself plunged into a Kafkaesque nightmare in which his identity seems to dissolve and the forces of history to close in on him. Met with considerable controversy on its release for its portrayal of the real-life wrongdoings of the Vichy government, this haunting, disturbingly beautiful film shivers with existential dread as it traces a society’s descent into fascistic fear and inhumanity.

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Interviews with critic Michel Ciment and editor Henri Lanoë
  • Interviews from 1976 with director Joseph Losey and actor Alain Delon
  • Story of a Day, a 1986 documentary on the real-life Vél d’Hiv Roundup, a central historical element of Mr. Klein
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
    PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau

Walter Kurtz

Re: Forthcoming: Mr. Klein

#2 Post by Walter Kurtz » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:52 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:59 am
Mr. Klein will be released by Criterion in December according to Studiocanal's press release on their website.
This would be the best possible news for me if it is true (fingers crossed).

On May 12, Jon Mulvaney had responded to my pleading for Mr. Klein as follows ---

Hi (Kurtz), I hope this finds you well. While we are licensing MR. KLEIN for The Criterion Channel at this time, please be aware that we do not hold the rights/license to this film. MR. KLEIN is currently a part of Rialto Pictures' catalog, and you may want to contact their team to clarify if they have any plans for a physical release of this title in the future'. We'll note your interest with our team for further consideration. Kind Regards, Jon Mulvaney

I responded to him on May 12 ---

Jon, Thanks for the update. There are a lot of people that would snap up a physical release of Mr Klein from you. I'm pretty sure this would outsell La Piscine. It's an all-time great and was absolutely riveting on the big screen even though I was already familiar with it. Klein is an important film. Piscine isn't. Warm regards, (Kurtz)

I am only offering the above as background for hoping the release is indeed imminent.

bfaison

Re: Forthcoming: Mr. Klein

#3 Post by bfaison » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:53 pm

For what it's worth, I also emailed Mulvaney a few months back urging they release this. Great news.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1123 Mr. Klein

#4 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:47 pm

Coming May 10

tolbs1010

#5 Post by tolbs1010 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:07 pm

Of course it comes out a month after I buy the Studio Canal blu. Still, happy to see Losey and this film enter the CC.

Not crazy about the cover artwork, but it's an upgrade over SC's completely generic cover. And one new bonus feature--the Losey and Delon interviews from '76.

The SC looks great and I'm sure the CC will too.

tolbs1010

#6 Post by tolbs1010 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:46 pm

tolbs1010 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:07 pm

And one new bonus feature--the Losey and Delon interviews from '76.
Actually 2 new bonus features. Forgot to mention the documentary about the Vel d'Hiv roundup, which will probably be enough to make me want to buy this even though I have the SC.

Walter Kurtz

#7 Post by Walter Kurtz » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:49 pm

A big shout-out to JM and Criterion for their gracious email to me on announcement day linking to their spiffy new Mr. Klein page and telling me to enjoy their new release.

That was really sweet. Thanks JM!

yoloswegmaster

#8 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:58 pm

J M Powell

#9 Post by J M Powell » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:40 am

My god, the tealification on this one is even worse than usual. It looks absolutely awful.

Roscoe

#10 Post by Roscoe » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:13 am

Wow. It looked good on the screen at Film Forum, but compared with the warmer tones of the original release it just looks GREEN. I mean I guess it could make sense, if that's what was originally intended by Losey & Co to cool down the image. Any explanation as to the drastic shift in color palates?

tolbs1010

#11 Post by tolbs1010 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:53 am

Tonally and thematically it is a very cold film, so I'm guessing this new restored look is what was intended. I owned the original DVD and always thought it looked too hazy and soft compared to what I remembered from seeing the film for the first time in a theater. The UK Studio Canal blu looks outstanding on my LG 4k.

The screen caps in the Beaver article don't do the new restoration justice, imo.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:16 am

It's quite clear the older DVD was magenta-pushed. It's also quite clear the new restoration falls in line with some debatable grading choices from Hiventy, though closer to the debates around Le cercle rouge than anything stronger.

reaky

#13 Post by reaky » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:25 am

Can anyone compare the StudioCanal blu with the Crit?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#14 Post by tenia » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:31 pm

They're likely to be equivalent except for the encodes.