'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Matt

'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.1

#1 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:31 pm

Here is your all-new omnibus thread for your unfocused chatter on anything Criterion might possibly ever release, no matter how far-fetched.

Here be links to Cinephrenic's Forthcoming Criterion List and Forthcoming Eclipse List, the original Forthcoming Criterion & Eclipse List Discussion thread, the Eclipse Random Speculation thread, and the last iteration of the Criterion Random Speculation thread.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:35 pm

Matt wrote:Here is your all-new omnibus thread for your unfocused chatter on anything Criterion might possibly ever release, no matter how far-fetched.
C'mon Dinosaurs: the Complete Series

Thomas J.

#3 Post by Thomas J. » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Lol, Melville and Mizoguchi.

Criterion's monthly quota of French Criterions and Japanese Eclipses.

I really think Criterion has devolved into self-parody by this point, which is why I'm chuckling.

HerrSchreck

#4 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Wow dude.

Just, wow. Nothing for Shepitko, Klein, Vampyr, Missing, Ophuls... notwithstanding the desert of Mizo in R1.

Wow.

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Getting previously unreleased pre-war Japanese cinema on DVD is so effing Tuesday.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:31 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Getting previously unreleased pre-war Japanese cinema on DVD is so effing Tuesday.
Come on, you can probably find copies of the 15 year-old videos of those two pre-war Mizoguchi films somewhere. so, why do we need these released on DVD?

;~}

Murdoch

#7 Post by Murdoch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Will November be the Blu-Ray releases only (along with standard def. of unreleased titles) or will something like Marienbad or Vivre sa Vie make the cut?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:19 pm

I think we'll see the biggest potential sellers in November, so for sure the debuts of Bottle Rocket and probably Chungking Express, with standard def Godard or Resnais not totally out of question, and some smaller title thrown into the mix for the heck of it. I suspect December'll only bring the Fullers, and then several more Blu-rays in January.

blindside8zao

#9 Post by blindside8zao » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Thomas J. wrote:Lol, Melville and Mizoguchi.

Criterion's monthly quota of French Criterions and Japanese Eclipses.

I really think Criterion has devolved into self-parody by this point, which is why I'm chuckling.
I'm super-excited about the month. I'd be perfectly happy if they did release a Naruse Eclipse and and 2 Godards next month. On the other hand, I didn't realize how few German films are in the collection (I know that's not the country you want elaborated in the Collection) until I'd found that I own most of them. I guess WWII had something to do with the output (or quality output?) in Germany?

Magic Hate Ball

#10 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:54 pm

So, what other Bergman films could Criterion possibly release? I know Face To Face is a vague possibility.

Cinephrenic

#11 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Magic Hate Ball wrote:So, what other Bergman films could Criterion possibly release? I know Face To Face is a vague possibility.
Criterion/Janus controlled:

Criterion: Face to Face, The Magician, Monika, Summer Interlude

Probably Eclipse:

Bergman Comedies: All These Women, The Devil's Eye, A Lesson in Love, Secrets of Women

and Dreams, The Rite

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:20 pm

Theatrical Bergman Eclipse set with the Rite, After the Rehearsal, and another of his TV films perhaps?

GringoTex

#13 Post by GringoTex » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:27 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Wow dude.

Just, wow. Nothing for Shepitko, Klein, Vampyr, Missing, Ophuls... notwithstanding the desert of Mizo in R1.

Wow.
Lol, Vampyr is just monthly Danish quota. Klein is monthly American Expatriate in France quota (like Dassin didn't already fill this need). Missing is monthly Sissy quota (was 3 Women not enough for you guys?). And I notice you left out The Furies, because that's just Criterion's monthly Western quota. Blast of Silence is monthly B-movie in NYC quota (like Dassin didn't already fill this need).

ianungstad

#14 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Magic Hate Ball wrote:So, what other Bergman films could Criterion possibly release? I know Face To Face is a vague possibility.
I asked Tamara about future Bergman titles awhile back. She said that they have some Bergman films being prepped for Blu Ray, no current plans for a rerelease of The Seventh Seal...and surprisingly they had no plans at this time to do Face to Face.

Has anyone actually got official confirmation on Face to Face? For some reason I had thought it was a sure bet from Paramount.

Hopscotch

#15 Post by Hopscotch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:28 am

Gringo Tex is right. No more movies anymore. It's laughable how Criterion thinks they need to release another stupid silent movie. There's already 3 Dreyer criterions out anyway.

Felix

#16 Post by Felix » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:Come on, you can probably find copies of the 15 year-old videos of those two pre-war Mizoguchi films somewhere. so, why do we need these released on DVD?
Eh, I did, about a year ago and found them pretty easily too. With their Janus logos, it was no surprise when these came on Eclipse but hey, I am not complaining; the videos were old and had a band down one side, and replacing them will buy me a bit more precious shelf space. Lordy, some folks round here take a lot of pleasing... (Not directed at you MK).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#17 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:31 am

Felix wrote:Eh, I did, about a year ago and found them pretty easily too. With their Janus logos, it was no surprise when these came on Eclipse but hey, I am not complaining; the videos were old and had a band down one side, and replacing them will buy me a bit more precious shelf space. Lordy, some folks round here take a lot of pleasing... (Not directed at you MK).
I actually bought one video in the last year myself. Shiro Toyoda's "Gan" -- which is not available in any other format yet. It cost me all of $8, including postage.

However, I suspect most people have ditched their VCRs at this point -- so VHS availability (even of excellent video releases) is not too relevant anymore.

;~}

Zazou dans le Metro

#18 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 am

Well I for one am a long way off ditching my vhs.
How else do I see Yol or Best Intentions? (Both titles, incidentally, I have bombarded Artificial Eye/Criterion/MoC and anyone who will listen about releasing on dvd. Despite my succinct and fawning tone however I have never received a reply from any of them).
There's a shitload of stuff still only on vhs and I am not going to cut my nose off to spite my digital interface by refusing to hook up my trusty old Toshiba.

Felix

#19 Post by Felix » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:37 am

Yes, I am quite surprised when I remember to do an online search for VHS rather than DVD, and as other people do finally ditch VHS there are opportunities to pick things up very cheap, which is what I did with LPs when everyone went to CD.

Recent acquisitions for me are a heap of Bauer films, silent Von Sternberg and his later Crime and Punishment. Not to mention my rather large collection of off-air broadcasts (including the full lenght Best Intentions and Bergman Jnr's Sundays Children).

colinr0380

#20 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 am

Felix wrote:Recent acquisitions for me are a heap of Bauer films, silent Von Sternberg and his later Crime and Punishment. Not to mention my rather large collection of off-air broadcasts (including the full length Best Intentions and Bergman Jnr's Sundays Children).
With you there - in fact this reminds me that I might have to stock up on a VHS player to keep in storage just in case they do go obsolete!

mteller

#21 Post by mteller » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:59 am

Cinephrenic wrote:Bergman Comedies: All These Women, The Devil's Eye, A Lesson in Love, Secrets of Women
*shudder* As a Bergman completist, I'll buy any releases that come out, but that set would be really painful to pay for. The only movie worth a damn in that bunch is Secrets of Women.

Queiroz

#22 Post by Queiroz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:31 pm

True. All These Women is a particularly woeful movie. Hopefully The Magician, Summer With Monika and Summer Interlude will get stand-alone releases because each is a superb and beautiful film.

Matt

#23 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Queiroz wrote:All These Women is a particularly woeful movie.
I swear I must be the only person on the planet who likes that movie. I'd rather watch that ten times in a row than watch The Virgin Spring again.

Felix

#24 Post by Felix » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Felix wrote:Recent acquisitions for me are a heap of Bauer films, silent Von Sternberg and his later Crime and Punishment. Not to mention my rather large collection of off-air broadcasts (including the full length Best Intentions and Bergman Jnr's Sundays Children).
With you there - in fact this reminds me that I might have to stock up on a VHS player to keep in storage just in case they do go obsolete!
I've got two of the buggers. My regret was leaving them as late as I did when the price and the quality of players had gone down. If I had been on the ball I would have picked up one of the better ones earlier. And sooner or later I will get one of the VHS to DVD recorders, convert them all to DVD but keep the originals in a cupboard, just in case...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 pm

mteller wrote:
Cinephrenic wrote:Bergman Comedies: All These Women, The Devil's Eye, A Lesson in Love, Secrets of Women
*shudder* As a Bergman completist, I'll buy any releases that come out, but that set would be really painful to pay for. The only movie worth a damn in that bunch is Secrets of Women.
A Lesson in Love is one of my favorite early Begman films. And I don't mind All These Women-- it's not funny at all but it is quite interesting. Actually, all the above films are pretty good-- all way better than anything in the Early Bergman Eclipse set or the overrated Summer With Monika