Criterion and IFC

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Close The Door, Raymond

Re: Criterion and IFC

#876 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 pm

IFC had problems with the release.

This article from Slate:
If you happened to catch the Nov. 28 screening of Lars von Trier’s The House That Jack Built, good news: Your bragging rights will now last for several months. Jack’s distributor, IFC Films, originally planned to release von Trier’s unrated director’s cut, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May, on-demand on Dec. 14, while releasing an R-rated version in theaters on the same day. But the MPAA, the industry watchdog which issues those ratings, said that IFC’s original plan—which would have allowed viewers to digitally rent the R-rated cut and offered the uncut version for digital purchase—was “in violation of the ratings system’s rules,” and threatened sanctions, which could have included excluding IFC from the ratings process for up to 90 days. (Most major exhibition chains will not show a film without an MPAA rating.) As a result, IFC has scrapped plans to release the director’s cut next week, according to a publicist, and tentatively rescheduled that release for June. The R-rated cut, some four minutes shorter, will be released in theaters and for digital rental as planned.
Scream Factory released the blu-ray in February 2020.

therewillbeblus

#877 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:04 pm

ianungstad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:23 pm
Talking about film critics, what the heck happened to Todd McCarthy? He's writing reviews for Deadline now? What's next, Ain't It Cool News?
I don’t remember where, but he had a pretty lengthy (and very interesting) interview published after he was let go during the pandemic, where he went into the intricacies of the organizational politics as they’ve changed through his history in journalism. It was pretty clear that McCarthy- who’s earned his worth as a high-salary employee- was cut due to financial reasons in the wake of shifting priorities of the paper, which makes sense, just as it makes sense that he’ll go wherever they’ll pay him close to what he’s worth.

Ribs

#878 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:05 pm

They played a teaser for IFC midnight’s library at the special screening but it was just normal IFC Films as a release.

There are plenty more “reasonable” titles that I expect Criterion at some point considered licensing but either has not transpired or has went elsewhere:
The Death of Stalin
Blaze
Diane
Non-fiction
Loro
The Truth
The Nest
Tesla
MLK/FBI
Undine

In addition to the three aforementioned Cannes competition titles from this year in the queue as titles you’d think they’d want. But nearly that entire list of worthy movies (which could even be expanded further with Moffie or other extremely well reviewed movies) came out post-Wildlife and we’ve seen no sign at all Criterion wanted to do them (and as I said a few have come out via Shout or otherwise.) Ultimately, it’s obviously Criterion’s call but I think them taking on these scale of movies is just as important as the larger streaming titles or the tiny titles Janus themselves will be releasing and it’s somewhat unfortunate they’ve been for the most part held up.

therewillbeblus

#879 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 pm

Ribs wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:05 pm
They played a teaser for IFC midnight’s library at the special screening but it was just normal IFC Films as a release.
Less confused now, thanks- I just remember von Trier looking terrible, shaking with what I imagine to be alcohol withdrawals, debilitating anxiety and generally declining mental health, and then mustering an enthusiastic “Fuck Donald Trump!”

Ribs

#880 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm

It was actually a very weird, mellow, “Never. Another. Trump.” Entirely unrelated to anything he had said before that. It was fairly amusing in that LVT way.

therewillbeblus

#881 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:15 pm

It was weird and mellow, but enthusiastic within the context of what came before, which just made me sad

ianungstad

#882 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm

IFC has picked up Cow (Andrea Arnold)

Ribs

#883 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:42 pm

Interesting to have the first IFC title in years announced and it’s not one of the ones we’ve all felt likely to be in the queue. It’s good to know the relationship does still exist and there will continue to be new titles when appropriate as it has really felt like Criterion has been taking splashier deals with the bigger guys in their place (other than the now long pending Medicine for Melancholy we have had explicitly confirmed).

Peter McM

#884 Post by Peter McM » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:21 pm

Non-Fiction has been MIA for too long. I hoped Criterion would've released it by now--or have they had their fill of Binoche/Assayas? I certainly hope not. I'd break down and order the French label import, but I've heard reports of poorly synced English subtitles.

Adam X

#885 Post by Adam X » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:13 am

There's an Australian DVD of it that has no such issue, not that I remember noticing anyway.

Glowingwabbit

#886 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:49 am

Peter McM wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:21 pm
Non-Fiction has been MIA for too long. I hoped Criterion would've released it by now--or have they had their fill of Binoche/Assayas? I certainly hope not. I'd break down and order the French label import, but I've heard reports of poorly synced English subtitles.
I don't remember many people talking about this one or liking it. I love Assayas, but this felt like a minor film by his standards. I'll have to revisit it. Maybe Criterion decided there wouldn't be enough interest in it. Don't forget they also have the Amazon/Netflix deals so their release schedule already has a lot (too many?) of contemporary films so they probably want to space them out a little.

ianungstad

#887 Post by ianungstad » Tue May 17, 2022 7:10 pm

Daddy Long Legs is from IFC, so I guess this relationship is still active.

IFC has bought the rights to Mungiu's R.M.N ahead of it's Cannes Premiere.

Criterion pretty much has the same relationship with Neon and they have Cronenberg's Crimes of the Future and just picked up Kore-eda's Broker.

yoloswegmaster

#888 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 pm

Crime of the Future won't likely be getting a Criterion release anytime soon since a listing for the bluray was found (before being taken down) for an August release.

therewillbeblus

#889 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 17, 2022 7:48 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 pm
Crime of the Future won't likely be getting a Criterion release anytime soon since a listing for the bluray was found (before being taken down) for an August release.
Criterion came out with an edition of Parasite nine months after it dropped on blu in the U.S. and I feel like they've done this several times with freshly-out releases. I don't necessarily think it's coming either, but to say that's the reason doesn't make a ton of sense.

I wish they'd take a risk on some of NEON's more esoteric or darkly obstructive titles, like Vox Lux, Assassination Nation, Colossal, Ingrid Goes West, but I could see them putting out a welcome addition of Luce, which asks a lot of interesting questions about race that's ripe for supplementary material

yoloswegmaster

#890 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 17, 2022 8:14 pm

It makes a lot of sense since Parasite was the only film that was licensed from Neon that had already received a prior blu release, and I'm fairly certain that most of their modern title releases (besides Uncut Gems) have been the first U.S. region releases. If a previously released on blu title like Titane still hasn't received a Criterion release (even with it being a Palme winner, something that we know Criterion love to release), then I doubt that Crimes of the Future will be getting one anytime soon.

ianungstad

#891 Post by ianungstad » Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:14 pm
It makes a lot of sense since Parasite was the only film that was licensed from Neon that had already received a prior blu release, and I'm fairly certain that most of their modern title releases (besides Uncut Gems) have been the first U.S. region releases. If a previously released on blu title like Titane still hasn't received a Criterion release (even with it being a Palme winner, something that we know Criterion love to release), then I doubt that Crimes of the Future will be getting one anytime soon.
Just from their IFC deal both Boyhood and Clouds of Sils Maria had barebones releases that came out about a year prior to their Criterion editions. There are probably other examples but it's certainly more than just Parasite.

yoloswegmaster

#892 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 18, 2022 6:03 am

Clouds of Sils Maria absolutely did not receive a prior U.S. blu release and just by looking at the licensed IFC titles, it looks as if Boyhood is the only title that had received a prior U.S. blu.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#893 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed May 18, 2022 11:22 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:03 am
Clouds of Sils Maria absolutely did not receive a prior U.S. blu release and just by looking at the licensed IFC titles, it looks as if Boyhood is the only title that had received a prior U.S. blu.
45 Years had a release prior to the Criterion edition.

dwk

#894 Post by dwk » Wed May 18, 2022 12:04 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:22 am
45 Years had a release prior to the Criterion edition.
For some reason, Paramount re-released their Blu-ray of 45 Years last month as a MOD BD-R.

ianungstad

#895 Post by ianungstad » Wed May 18, 2022 2:49 pm

Paramount released Clouds of Sils Maria on dvd. The point still being that it had a release about a year before the Criterion edition came out.

Finch

#896 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am

Flux Gourmet is going to be released by IFC themselves, Oct 18, on BD. No extras announced (yet).

ianungstad

#897 Post by ianungstad » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:35 pm

BlackBerry is getting rave reviews at Berlin. Not sure if Criterion would be interested. Paramount just paid $$$ for international rights.