Eclipse Series 15: Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu

Discuss DVDs released in the Eclipse and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
knives

Re: Eclipse Series 15: Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu

#201 Post by knives » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Ditto.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#202 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:01 pm

As wonderful as both of the 2 Japanese sets were (and they were indeed), they are a drop in the bucket -- so many more Shimizu films are equally wonderful. I doubt we'll ever get subbed releases of any more Shimizu, alas.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#203 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun May 23, 2021 5:34 pm

Not sure where to put this exciting (but personally disappointing) news.

From May 26 through June 20, 2021, the Cinematheque Francaise will be showing almost 60 films by Shimizu:
https://www.cinematheque.fr/cycle/hiros ... u-567.html .

It this were not happening during "coronavirus time" I'd definitely move to Paris for a month.

Yakushima

#204 Post by Yakushima » Sun May 23, 2021 10:44 pm

I am amazed and heartened to learn that there are so many Hiroshi Shimizu films still in existence, and equally dismayed about their chronic unavailability on home video. I treasure my two Japanese DVD boxed sets, and do hope that someone somewhere will find it worthy to release some of those yet unavailable gems on Blu-ray.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#205 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun May 23, 2021 11:20 pm

Yakushima -- At one point I heard that there 75-80 of his films still in existence. I think I've seen 20 or so (mostly in the form of unsubbed copies of VHS tapes and DVDs).

Yakushima

#206 Post by Yakushima » Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 am

Michael, 80 films is a mind-blowing number! Do you know if any of them are getting restored?

Tim

#207 Post by Tim » Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 am

If this is being sponsored by the Japan Foundation, among others, is there a chance that it will travel to other locations?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#208 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon May 24, 2021 8:58 am

All I know is that Shochiku's leadership really thought they could drum up more interest in Shimizu at the time of his centennial and poured their hearts into the two lovely sets they issued (expecting to issue many more). I suspect the lack of sales in Japan and abroad was pretty devastating to them. This new retrospective in Paris may mean that they have renewed hopes -- or it may be a fluke. We will just have to wait and see. As far as I can tell, Naruse has always gotten more acceptance from French (and Italian and Spanish) cinephiles than from other western ones. Let's just cross our fingers.

Some rare Japanese classics just might become available via streaming outside Japan (but no mention of Naruse here): http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14347 ... gucgnAQJlo

esl

#209 Post by esl » Wed May 26, 2021 8:26 pm

Yakushima wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:44 pm
I am amazed and heartened to learn that there are so many Hiroshi Shimizu films still in existence, and equally dismayed about their chronic unavailability on home video. I treasure my two Japanese DVD boxed sets, and do hope that someone somewhere will find it worthy to release some of those yet unavailable gems on Blu-ray.
Ditto, holy ****, this lifts my heart. I posted just this past week on another site that I had all but given up hope that I would ever see some of his films such as Children and the Great Buddha and many of his early films. I have seen just over 20 of his films - mostly middle and late period, some of those (without English subtitles) while living in Japan, including The Shiinomi School - in the presence of Kyōko Kagawa(what a thrill to be introduced to her), Children of the Beehive and the obscure 何故彼女等はそうなったか [NAZE KANOJORA WA SO NATTA KA] from 1956.

One can live in hope some will be released in the near future.