Janus Contemporaries: Afire

Discuss DVDs released in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
Message
Author
User avatar
Walter Kurtz
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: Roter Himmel [Afire] (Christian Petzold, 2023)

#26 Post by Walter Kurtz » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:22 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:04 pm
The rest of the soundtrack is n"original" piano theme composed for "Undine".
You already know this because of the quotes containing "original" but for anyone else interested... Johnnie Bach composed that theme approximately 300 years ago. It was also used in the beginning and ending of The House of Mirth , a film that featured a fine and controlled performance by Gillian Armstrong in the lead. I don't know if Delerue is burind at the cafe because Bach's Concerto in D Minor, BWV 974 - 2.Adagio is my biggest earworm that lasts a week whenever I hear it... especially using piano instead of violins.... that prevents me from revisiting the movie for a great while.

shankle73
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Roter Himmel [Afire] (Christian Petzold, 2023)

#27 Post by shankle73 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:42 pm

goblinfootballs wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:40 pm
I would guess the fact that this is Janus/Sideshow would indicate Janus Contemporaries.
Just started streaming Afire & it begins with Criterion logo so i believe we have our answer.

User avatar
Matt
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Roter Himmel [Afire] (Christian Petzold, 2023)

#28 Post by Matt » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:48 pm

I’ve got a cuckoo hypothesis that
SpoilerShow
as in Undine where Paula Beer plays a water nymph luring men to their death, here she’s some sort of angel of death mysteriously showing up at their residences just before they die. Probably not, but if Petzold is indeed building a trilogy or series of films around the natural elements, it would make something of a case for this film to have some sort of supernatural or mythological component as in the previous film.
Anyway, what a picture! Typical Petzold slow burn (sorry) leading to a quiet yet unexpectedly emotional climax. I did not find the denouement to be as telegraphed as others did because there are so many small surprises and seemingly minor characters who become important that turn up throughout the film, but of course it could only have ended he way it does.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: Roter Himmel [Afire] (Christian Petzold, 2023)

#29 Post by nicolas » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 am

Afire / Roter Himmel will be released tomorrow on BD in Germany by Piffl Medien, the label that releases all of Petzold’s films and not much else. I was worried about the BD as a) it wasn’t initially planned (DVD only), b) the product photos on Amazon indicated that that this is a burned, MOD disc as there’s no official Blu-ray Disc logo anywhere and finally c) the sound was listed as Dolby Digital 5.1, which as we know is DVD level.

I’m pleased to report that ALL concerns are a thing of the past. This is a properly pressed BD (BD-25), sound is actually DTS-HD 5.1 and there are English subtitles on the disc! This is great news for international buyers. It’s a Region B disc but I believe the top menu trick on Panasonic player works. (A German-language booklet is included as well).

Finally, the encoding is surprisingly good. Petzold and his DP employed a fake grain layer over the digital images and that renders exceptionally well. The detail level will certainly be better than the inevitable Criterion / Janus release due to their filtering. If you’re a fan of the film, don’t hesitate. Can’t wait for the film!

User avatar
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Roter Himmel [Afire] (Christian Petzold, 2023)

#30 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:20 pm


User avatar
Matt
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#31 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:33 pm

Disappointed it’s not a full-on Criterion edition, but I guess keeping all Sideshow/Janus releases in the same line and not “promoting” some over others will keep sensitive filmmaker egos in check.

Rupert Pupkin
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 am

Re: Roter Himmel [Afire] (Christian Petzold, 2023)

#32 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:11 am

nicolas wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 am
Afire / Roter Himmel will be released tomorrow on BD in Germany by Piffl Medien, the label that releases all of Petzold’s films and not much else. I was worried about the BD as a) it wasn’t initially planned (DVD only), b) the product photos on Amazon indicated that that this is a burned, MOD disc as there’s no official Blu-ray Disc logo anywhere and finally c) the sound was listed as Dolby Digital 5.1, which as we know is DVD level.

I’m pleased to report that ALL concerns are a thing of the past. This is a properly pressed BD (BD-25), sound is actually DTS-HD 5.1 and there are English subtitles on the disc! This is great news for international buyers. It’s a Region B disc but I believe the top menu trick on Panasonic player works. (A German-language booklet is included as well).

Finally, the encoding is surprisingly good. Petzold and his DP employed a fake grain layer over the digital images and that renders exceptionally well. The detail level will certainly be better than the inevitable Criterion / Janus release due to their filtering. If you’re a fan of the film, don’t hesitate. Can’t wait for the film!
Nicolas thanks for your review. I was about to order the German release of "Afire / Roter Himmel / Ciel Rouge" but I was waiting for the Criterion release (I did not know that Janus/Contemporaries collection was using filtering to remove grain from the picture (being digital or argentic; there is generally a slight grain even on digital) : is it the case fo "EO" or or the Louis Garrel's movie ?
Good news to read that there are subtitles in English for the movie.
What are the bonus ? The Criterion addition just appeared and the bonus is very light to say the least; after "Phoenix" in the Criterion collection, I was expecting a Criterion release for this movie. Petzold deserved it. A lot of people here were confident about a Criterion release.

User avatar
Walter Kurtz
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#33 Post by Walter Kurtz » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:01 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:33 pm
Disappointed it’s not a full-on Criterion edition...
What we got was Club Sandwich??

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#34 Post by nicolas » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:27 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
nicolas wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 am
Afire / Roter Himmel will be released tomorrow on BD in Germany by Piffl Medien, the label that releases all of Petzold’s films and not much else. I was worried about the BD as a) it wasn’t initially planned (DVD only), b) the product photos on Amazon indicated that that this is a burned, MOD disc as there’s no official Blu-ray Disc logo anywhere and finally c) the sound was listed as Dolby Digital 5.1, which as we know is DVD level.

I’m pleased to report that ALL concerns are a thing of the past. This is a properly pressed BD (BD-25), sound is actually DTS-HD 5.1 and there are English subtitles on the disc! This is great news for international buyers. It’s a Region B disc but I believe the top menu trick on Panasonic player works. (A German-language booklet is included as well).

Finally, the encoding is surprisingly good. Petzold and his DP employed a fake grain layer over the digital images and that renders exceptionally well. The detail level will certainly be better than the inevitable Criterion / Janus release due to their filtering. If you’re a fan of the film, don’t hesitate. Can’t wait for the film!
Nicolas thanks for your review. I was about to order the German release of "Afire / Roter Himmel / Ciel Rouge" but I was waiting for the Criterion release (I did not know that Janus/Contemporaries collection was using filtering to remove grain from the picture (being digital or argentic; there is generally a slight grain even on digital) : is it the case fo "EO" or or the Louis Garrel's movie ?
Good news to read that there are subtitles in English for the movie.
What are the bonus ? The Criterion addition just appeared and the bonus is very light to say the least; after "Phoenix" in the Criterion collection, I was expecting a Criterion release for this movie. Petzold deserved it. A lot of people here were confident about a Criterion release.
The authoring houses Criterion/ Janus use generally filter a more or less light amount of high-frequency detail off the top of the image in order to make encoding easier for them. The Blu-ray’s and 4K’s are therefore generally not as sharp as those released by other labels and / or encoded by other authoring houses. This has been the case for years.

I don’t have EO or L’innocent so sadly can’t comment here - I would have to see them side-by-side with different editions to be able to judge properly.

Bonus features on the German BD are wonderful but NOT subtitled. You’d buy the BD just for the film itself, which is subtitled and looks & sounds superb!

Rupert Pupkin
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 am

Re: Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#35 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:35 pm

There was a time that we would even got a manuscrit of "Club Sandwich" - being your own jury - after all it was not *that* bad.
Nicolas, can you please tell me a bit more about the bonus of the German Blu-Ray ? - interviews : is there an interview with Paula Beer ? Wearing a beautiful dress/outfits for the Mostra de Venise ?
Unfortunately I live in France, and DVD only here- perhaps in the UK there will be a Blu-Ray.
I remember EO got more bonus than a single interview of Petzold on the outcoming Criterion.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#36 Post by nicolas » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:44 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:There was a time that we would even got a manuscrit of "Club Sandwich" - being your own jury - after all it was not *that* bad.
Nicolas, can you please tell me a bit more about the bonus of the German Blu-Ray ? - interviews : is there an interview with Paula Beer ? Wearing a beautiful dress/outfits for the Mostra de Venise ?
Unfortunately I live in France, and DVD only here- perhaps in the UK there will be a Blu-Ray.
I remember EO got more bonus than a single interview of Petzold on the outcoming Criterion.
Yes, there are interviews with Paula Beer (not sure what you mean with her dress - this is an interview likely conducted in Berlin and exclusively for the BD), Petzold, Enno Trebs and Langston Uibel. These are all very informative about the process of the film and how they got involved. Petzold for instance got a big Eric Rohmer DVD set as a gift when he and his team had to leave Paris the last day before the 2020 lockdowns. He then watched the films while lying sick in bed with Covid. As a result of that experience, he scrapped plans for making a rather bleak and dystopian film and wrote Afire, wanting to make something fun and light in the vein of Rohmer and one or two other minor influences I don’t recall any more. The actors talk about their casting, Petzold as director and their characters. Beer mentioned that her working relationship with Petzold gets better every time - they’re trusting each other more and she’s allowed to have a voice of her own when it comes to shaping the character.

Rupert Pupkin
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 am

Re: Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#37 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:28 pm

Thanks for all your info Nicolas; I have just ordered it. You were talking about Covid; I think that there is a scene in the movie (they are going to the town where someone is a wearing a Covid mask)
Well, Paula Beer used to wear some very desirable dresses; I regret the time when the press Cannes conference was available in almost every past Criterion release.
This is a movie which has been praised by reviews and at the Mostra of Venise. There was a lot to discuss about this movie. Whilst I don't expect Criterion to ressuscite Eric Rohmer, an interview between Petzold and another cineast would have been great.
"Afire" is kind of part of a trilogy which has been skipped by Criterion (I'm sure that Petzold will discuss about some references, etc... in the Criterion interview; I don't know the length of this interview, but it's the kind of movie you want to know more after a while : the mythology influence, the Eric Rohmer influence (for the beginning and the set-up); I was thinking of la Collectionneuse (for the beginning of the movie) the first time I saw "Afire" and a bit of François Ozon's "Swimming Pool" (the process of writing, the sexual tension, the enigmatic ending, etc...). Whilst Ozon's ending is a clumsy "bâclé" twist, a lot of things remains unsolved with "Afire".
I have watched it like three times already and wonder if when Paula Beer's character appears in the bed next to is a part of his desire or if this is an "apparition". She seems to mock him a little bit with the "thin wall" thing but she is in kind of flirting mood with him. That's a great scene with some great sensual tension, a "grand moment de convivialité" which obviously he would declined.
Even if the movie is filmed from his POV (almost during all the movie), in this particular great scene there is a kind of surreal atmosphere which makes us seen in a subtle way : is it from his imagination, or does Paul Beer's character has a kind of surreal power to "disturb" and reveal him. Apparently she seems sad that he declined to glowing sea ballad.
Talking about Eric Rohmer, another great cineast is lacking in the Criterion collection.: La Virgen de Agosto deserved a Criterion release. This was a refreshing, beautiful, moving movie which did not get a single blu-ray release.

It's sad that Jonás Trueba is not in the Criterion collection.


Since you seem to buy some Blu-Ray in several different countries, are you aware of a blu-ray release of La Virgen De Agosto ? :oops: :-k
According to blu-ray.com database, a blu-ray combo with DVD was originally planned but apparently never released in Spain :
https://www.mubis.es/titulos/la-virgen- ... to-blu-ray

I have checked several countries; I was only able to find a WEB 1080 release in the end.
Too bad. They could have released it with the sequel filmed during Covid.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#38 Post by nicolas » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:39 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:Thanks for all your info Nicolas; I have just ordered it. You were talking about Covid; I think that there is a scene in the movie (they are going to the town where someone is a wearing a Covid mask)
Well, Paula Beer used to wear some very desirable dresses; I regret the time when the press Cannes conference was available in almost every past Criterion release.
This is a movie which has been praised by reviews and at the Mostra of Venise. There was a lot to discuss about this movie. Whilst I don't expect Criterion to ressuscite Eric Rohmer, an interview between Petzold and another cineast would have been great.
"Afire" is kind of part of a trilogy which has been skipped by Criterion (I'm sure that Petzold will discuss about some references, etc... in the Criterion interview; I don't know the length of this interview, but it's the kind of movie you want to know more after a while : the mythology influence, the Eric Rohmer influence (for the beginning and the set-up); I was thinking of la Collectionneuse (for the beginning of the movie) the first time I saw "Afire" and a bit of François Ozon's "Swimming Pool" (the process of writing, the sexual tension, the enigmatic ending, etc...). Whilst Ozon's ending is a clumsy "bâclé" twist, a lot of things remains unsolved with "Afire".
I have watched it like three times already and wonder if when Paula Beer's character appears in the bed next to is a part of his desire or if this is an "apparition". She seems to mock him a little bit with the "thin wall" thing but she is in kind of flirting mood with him. That's a great scene with some great sensual tension, a "grand moment de convivialité" which obviously he would declined.
Even if the movie is filmed from his POV (almost during all the movie), in this particular great scene there is a kind of surreal atmosphere which makes us seen in a subtle way : is it from his imagination, or does Paul Beer's character has a kind of surreal power to "disturb" and reveal him. Apparently she seems sad that he declined to glowing sea ballad.
Talking about Eric Rohmer, another great cineast is lacking in the Criterion collection.: La Virgen de Agosto deserved a Criterion release. This was a refreshing, beautiful, moving movie which did not get a single blu-ray release.

It's sad that Jonás Trueba is not in the Criterion collection.


Since you seem to buy some Blu-Ray in several different countries, are you aware of a blu-ray release of La Virgen De Agosto ? :oops: :-k
According to blu-ray.com database, a blu-ray combo with DVD was originally planned but apparently never released in Spain :
https://www.mubis.es/titulos/la-virgen- ... to-blu-ray

I have checked several countries; I was only able to find a WEB 1080 release in the end.
Too bad. They could have released it with the sequel filmed during Covid.
Thanks for your extensive reply - very interesting. I’m glad you enjoyed the film as much as I did. The German BD will be a great addition for your collection, even if just for the feature.

Re. La virgen de Agosto - I wish I knew. I haven’t seen it. The Spanish disc market is very strange - so much of it are bootlegs and many official releases are disappointing (too compressed, BD-25’s etc.). I guess your best bet is a boutique label, maybe even from one of the Vinegar Syndrome partner labels in the near future.

Rupert Pupkin
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 am

Re: Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#39 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:13 pm

Sorry for the aparté; regarding "La Virgen De Agosto" it is a Spanish movie; it appeared on la fnac.es and amazon.es as an upcoming combo DVD+Blu-Ray; They have released a blu-ray for this cineast but not this great movie. Then no blu-ray seems to have been released at all (and I have checked some others countries; no sign of blu-ray). My guess is that initially it was announced as a blu-ray, then canceled (in France we only got a DVD).
What strikes me is that no other countries have released it on Blu-Ray whilst it has been made available as a WEB 1080 release. Perhaps it's because it was during the "tense Covid era".
I doubt it's a bootleg like for instance "La Fille à la Valise" or "Sandra" (Visconti) which is for V.Zurlini movie (still waiting for a true HD restoration) a fair HDTV transfer (looks like the Mk2 release now old master in HD).

Generally with French movies I have some luck to get a blu-ray release in Germany ("Rien à Foutre", "Une Passion Simple" for instance).

Post Reply