The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

An ongoing survey of the Criterion Forum membership to create lists of the best films of each decade and genre.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

#2226 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:52 am

I think that particular detour was probably just further misdirection from the real progression of the film. But there was already plenty of it in what we got in the final film, so an easy minute to slice off

therewillbeblus

#2227 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:23 am

What a strange coincidence, my UK blu arrived last night, and it’s currently in my player waiting to be finished after work- I’ll check them out.
SpoilerShow
Part of the draw of the film is the slow unveiling of her guilt and the discomfort of this small world, or any world, revolving around her. Of course this becomes exacerbated by her existential crisis in realizing that she is the killer(!) which nobody wants as their brand. But yeah, initiating accountability for the arrival at this nightmare looped milieu would suppose that as the source rather than the details of items and familiar design of the ship continuing to stand out as significant. I’m not sure when that reveal comes though, so maybe the context wouldn’t ruin the movie as much as I think it would.

Always Points North

#2228 Post by Always Points North » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:04 pm

knives wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:33 pm
Embarrassingly, it's because I misremembered the name of Straight on till Morning which is what I mean to vote for. I do like Fear in the Night a lot though.
Rayon Vert wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:44 pm
OK, makes more sense! They both came out together as a double bill, but yeah Straight On has something special going.
I've only recently seen Straight on Till Morning myself and I was impressed by it too. The opening sequence with its monologue really grabbed me, I think partly because I'd been finishing off watching the TV series Shadows (1975–78), many episodes of which have that same juxtaposition between the everyday and a dark fairy tale. I liked Shane Briant's performance and I knew I'd seen him somewhere before, finding that it was playing Jack Palance's son in Hawk the Slayer. Interesting that he played Dorian Gray shortly after Straight on Till Morning.

Always Points North

#2229 Post by Always Points North » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:35 pm

terabin wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 pm
In particular, I need to levy a defense of 6 of my orphans which are all made-for-TV movies from the BBC’s A Ghost Story for Christmas series, mostly based on MR James short stories. Will expound more tomorrow, but whenever I watch one of these gems my wife comes in the room and says I thought you were watching a horror movie? And I usually say, the British figured out how to do it without screams and blood. And she usually says, that’s not a horror movie. And I try in vain to make my argument: uncanny, quiet terror is horror too!
I love those and I'm glad that the revival is continuing, though last year's Martin's Close was abysmal. Of the new crop I'd say Whistle and I'll Come to You has been the strongest. I like The Signalman very much. Stigma's a strange one because I would class it much more as horror, and effective horror at that, than a ghost story.

I'd like them to look at A. M. Burrage's work as he's my favourite, especially Playmates, the ending of which really sent the hairs up on the back of my neck.