The 1971 Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Maltic

Re: The 1971 Mini-List

#76 Post by Maltic » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:16 pm

1. Two-Lane Blacktop
2. A Bay of Blood
3. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
4. A New Leaf
5. Four Nights of a Dreamer
6. Let’s Scare Jessica to Death
7. Dirty Harry
8. Macbeth
9. Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde
10. La Région Centrale

yoshimori

#77 Post by yoshimori » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:17 pm

Three of my top ten -- 1. Mandara, 7. Throw Away Your Books, and 8. Confessions Among Actresses -- got only one other vote. I wonder if they all came from the same severe modernist nihonophile? :)

knives

#78 Post by knives » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:31 pm

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:14 pm
Thanks swo! And thanks knives for posting the letterboxd lists, they are really helpful.
You’re welcome and further thanks to swo.

I found this an incredibly difficult list to compile just because there were so many good movies. Many I thought were given had to be bumped off the list. Also, it’s incredible how noise bias works as I assumed Du Cote was going to get the number one spot.

therewillbeblus

#79 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:16 pm

Apparently more people think A Clockwork Orange is the best movie of the year than any other. I like the film and voted for it too, but the space between us and the bodybuilding forum Nathan Fielder frequents is narrowing and I’m not sure how to feel about that

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#80 Post by alacal2 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:17 am

Well Clockwork Orange was (just) my number 1 but I haven't a clue who Nathan Fielder is or what the reference means.

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#81 Post by alacal2 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:47 am

Thanks again Swo.

A belated shout-out to The Night Digger which was a delightful discovery and my Orphan. This seems to have disappeared pretty much without trace on release and critics have struggled to pigeonhole it and where it seems to have landed in the horror genre. I enjoyed it precisely because it is unclassifiable (a lot like BFI's recent release of The Appointment) and its (mostly) subdued air of violent sexual hysteria. It's no masterpiece but its flaws (including a confused and confusing ending) are bested by its pluses - Patricia Neal, a great Bernard Herrman score, Roald Dahl script amongst others. Fun trivia fact; the actor who plays the young handyman and main protagonist was Nicholas Clay who was one of the radioactive children in Losey's The Damned. If this was sadly not owned by MGM then Indicator would be all over it.
Incidentally the director Alastair Reed has a 1972 film - Something To Hide - that I may nominate once I've seen.