The Music Video Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: The Music Video Mini-List

#376 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm

Feego

#377 Post by Feego » Mon May 15, 2023 10:06 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:14 pm
Jungle Cherry
SpoilerShow
Though you can trace a throughline all the way back to Give a Girl a Break, presenting an entire video choreographed in reverse so that it is played out "correctly" backwards is an impressive feat of choreographic planning, and that the video doesn't draw attention to the gimmick is what makes it rise above it as a genuinely compelling bit of dance. That said, as is already obvious from my comments here and elsewhere, I place a high value on videos that find new or interesting ways to use dance, as music videos are really where the energy and gusto of the classical Hollywood musical has gone
I'm pretty sure I clicked on Cherry back when Domino posted it in 2019, but by chance I stumbled onto another Jungle video on YouTube last night, Casio, having forgotten all about them. It's a well-choreographed single-take video, which apparently has become their thing lately. This led me through more of their recent videos, and my absolute favorite is Candle Flame.

brundlefly

#378 Post by brundlefly » Thu May 25, 2023 3:51 pm

While I wish Kasper Haggstrom's new video for Squid's "The Blades" had the courage to embrace its minimal "Bastards of Young" potential -- the same (though opposite) way I wish Yoonha Park's Gondry-Cyriak mash for "Swing (In a Dream)" was more rewardingly intricate -- it does succeed in filling its run time. And together with the literal Squid Game they released for "Undergrowth," these promos for their upcoming album are doing a good job accumulating into a worldview.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#379 Post by swo17 » Sat May 27, 2023 2:49 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 pm
A text-y agitprop-y thing from the SWP band The Redskins (poor quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXo6jRGHgr4
I just pieced together that apparently you had some hand in making this? Pretty cool!

brundlefly

#380 Post by brundlefly » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:14 am

Steve Smith's video for 100 gecs' "The Most Wanted Person In the United States" got class like Nuke 'Em High. RIYL humping trash, hangin' behind Winkie's, watermarks, skid marks, doubling down on belabored metaphors, secret origin stories for Bud Light. (NSFW)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#381 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 am

Matt

#382 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:18 pm

I never really gave much attention to Doja Cat, so I appreciate the right-wing Satanic Panic crowd for bringing this cool video to my attention: https://youtu.be/m4_9TFeMfJE

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#383 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:58 pm

Watched about thirty seconds, saw the demon’s nose and realized that I truly picked the best week to cut social media from my life

colinr0380

#384 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:43 pm

OK, how did I not know until now that Tom Hanks was in a Carly Rae Jepsen music video? That's adorable.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#385 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:54 pm

Music videos I've enjoyed recently:

Sabrina Carpenter Feather Hot girl problems. Old timers will remember I knew her when from my mixes...

Magdalena Bay Secrets (Your Fire) All of Magdalena Bay's music videos have the same hideous yet endearingly sincere early 00s internet vibe, but this is the best distillation of that aesthetic plus an incredible, all time earworm of a pop song (though bonus points for Top Dog's hilarious double shout outs to Laura Dern)

Maty Noyes New Friends Not a new video to me but I keep forgetting to post it. Frank Henenlotter should inspire more pop starlets. There's a fun reference to a board favorite horror movie, too (but saying which one is a huge spoiler for the film)

Olivia Rodrigo vampire Like Rodrigo's music, this is better and more clever than you may expect going in. I will say it again: If Taylor Swift ever made anything as good as this, I'd understand her cult of obsessives-- Olivia Rodrigo is right there!

Weyes Blood It's Not Just Me, It's Everybody I got nothing out of her Adam Curtis video, but this is a beautiful song and it's been decades since someone wore a sailor suit better

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#386 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:30 pm

Did you see Rodrigo on SNL recently? This is basically a live music video

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#387 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:37 pm

That was great!

brundlefly

#388 Post by brundlefly » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:44 pm

Maya Hawke's latest is directed by Alex Ross Perry. Among its cameos, Torgo.