The Musicals List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
matrixschmatrix

Re: The Musicals List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Proj

#101 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 pm

knives wrote:I'll still be getting the Scorsese, $5 for a Blu is hard to pass up, but I'm not expecting King of Comedy.
Whoa, where are you getting it for $5?

knives

#102 Post by knives » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Yesterday on amazon, not today though.

Grand Wazoo

#103 Post by Grand Wazoo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Am I the only one with an immeasurable love for 1980's The Apple? It's set in the distant future of 1994, contains songs about the joys of being on speed, and features truly heinous choreography from Nigel Lythgoe of So You Think You Can Dance fame. This is a film that I thought I may enjoy cynically and ironically, if at all, but became something I truly love due to the sheer naivete of all parties involved mixed with the firm dedication given to the silliest of set-pieces.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:19 pm

knives wrote:I'm embarrassed by how much I enjoyed that clip. To think here I was being pessimistic about this list.
Jesus, I've only said it was so good that it makes the top ten on both my western and musical list! And there are at least two better numbers in the film, "The Windy City" (one of my absolute desert island numbers) and "I Can Do Without You"

And how anyone could mention Good News without talking about arguably the best showstopper in all of the genre, "Pass the Peace Pipe," is beyond me

zedz

#105 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:I think its because, other than the "Trolley Song", all the numbers are so grounded in the reality (albeit, a highly romanticized version of reality) of rituals and celebration that they never feel like "musical numbers", that is, they never feel like a break from the conventional dramatic narrative that musical numbers usually do.

I'm not trying to argue its not a musical, its simply a film that I never ever think of as one until I'm actually sitting down watching it, where I always have an "aha!" moment
I understand what you mean about the film. For me, that naturalness is a great part of the film's charm. It seems like the most logical thing in the world for Judy to go out into the snow and sing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" to herself.
In some ways, its a more classical version of what Terrence Davies does in Distant Voices, Still Lives. Now, is that a musical?
It's on my short list, though it is a rather radical stretch and I haven't made a final in / out decision on it. Like Pennies from Heaven, it seems to me like a very sophisticated commentary on the musical and on the role of popular song in the lives of everyday people.

And I'll throw this out there for discussion, since I'm sure we'll be dancing around the topic over the coming months anyway: Is anybody interested in voting on the "Best Musical Number" at the same time? I'd suggest a micro-list of, say, five choices. This would allow us to spread the love to astonishing numbers that come out of nowhere in otherwise mediocre films or appear in non-musicals.

zedz

#106 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 pm

PillowRock wrote:Following the sub-thread of making a case for what all one considers to be a musical:
Intuitively (to me), anything where a sufficiently large amount of the film's focus is musical *performance* (as distinct from bio-pics about musicians, which typically do not focus much at all on the performance) is inherently a "musical film". That is the definition that makes sense to me. It seems to me that separating out "operatic tradition" vs "American musical theater" vs "ballet" is a matter of separating sub-genres of "musical films" (granted some of them are much larger than others). To me, it doesn't matter whether that musical performance is singing or dancing or even instrumental (though that is sufficiently rare that I'm having trouble coming with a good example right now), they would be "musical films".
I think the semantics here are problematic, since "a musical film" (e.g. documentary on the construction of a piano, Fischinger abstraction, fully scored Hollywood melodrama) is not the same thing as "a musical", which is a recognised, if disputable, genre. It's like defining "a western" as any film in which the action takes place to the west of some other place, or an action movie as a film in which somebody or something moves (e.g. La Jetee!).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#107 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:26 pm

zedz wrote:And I'll throw this out there for discussion, since I'm sure we'll be dancing around the topic over the coming months anyway: Is anybody interested in voting on the "Best Musical Number" at the same time? I'd suggest a micro-list of, say, five choices. This would allow us to spread the love to astonishing numbers that come out of nowhere in otherwise mediocre films or appear in non-musicals.
I'm for this, especially since I could vote for the stellar "Stereophonic Sound" from the otherwise mediocre Silk Stockings (which probably would have charted for me solely for this bit), but I would like to chastise others, including myself, for linking to YouTube excerpts from musicals. Can we all agree its better to experience these moments within the film proper-- it just feels like cheating, like saying that the musical is a genre that's fine to sample without indulging in-whole.

Matt

#108 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 pm

A sub-list of numbers would be interesting, but I'm not going to let it preclude me from putting a film on my main list just because I only really like one number in it.

And nertz to not linking to clips. Good clips can entice people into watching a whole film. Those who don't want to view them out of context can just restrain themselves from clicking.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#109 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:51 am

zedz wrote:
In some ways, its a more classical version of what Terrence Davies does in Distant Voices, Still Lives. Now, is that a musical?
It's on my short list, though it is a rather radical stretch and I haven't made a final in / out decision on it. Like Pennies from Heaven, it seems to me like a very sophisticated commentary on the musical and on the role of popular song in the lives of everyday people.
I think you're perfectly right to mention the commentary issue regarding the musical per se, a form that Davies is infatuated with. However Davies' intention to foreground and structure the songs as narrative devices to comment upon the action as recitative, both pragmatically and ironically, instead of relegating them to being just a splash of local colour, bats it into the musicals court for me.
The whole film is saturated in music (over 50% of the screen time) and moreover is choreographed like a musical. Davies tracks into his own memories and jibs and booms with his emotions.
Perhaps it is just that, that it is too personal, that mitigates against its inclusion. In fact one of the downsides of his elegy to Liverpool, Of Time and the City is that it is Distant dressed in documentary garb and feels like a bit of a retread.
DVSL is indeed an odd creature like the coelacanth perhaps, but one of the joys of these lists is what gets dredged up out of those deep and murky waters.
Last edited by NABOB OF NOWHERE on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#111 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:13 am

Matt wrote:And nertz to not linking to clips. Good clips can entice people into watching a whole film. Those who don't want to view them out of context can just restrain themselves from clicking.
I'll hitch my wagon to that sentiment. And to prove the point here's something dedicated to Dom and Nothing.
Way to go bro

knives

#112 Post by knives » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:31 am

As a fish out of water I definitely appreciate the clips because almost by nature many of these musicals sound horrible on principal, so just seeing that they have at least addictive tunes will make me look them out with optimism.

tarpilot

#113 Post by tarpilot » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:44 am

MY SISTER EILEEN Richard Quine, 1955
Brings to mind Tashlin’s masterpiece Artists and Models from the same year in several ways: dedicated, committed companionship (in this case, sisterhood) thrust across a kind-of pop-art battlefield that pits the mechanics of the business-of-creativity squarely against a yearning for expression (and livelihood), the mediums in this case the romance stories of Betty Garrett’s aspiring novelist and the stage dreams of the titular Eileen, played with an endearing naivete by Janet Leigh, every bit as irresistibly adorable in a football helmet as Shirley Maclaine is in her bat-lady get-up. Both films end in an extravagant number that seemingly comes out of nowhere, Eileen’s less radically designed than Artists (I’m thinking of the wedding garb transition in particular), but enormously satisfying in a way that I think can be distilled down to the look of blissful contentment on Eileen’s face as she spies on her sister’s reunion with Mr. Baker, one of those punctuating moments that elevates a good film into something remarkable and lasting. I never really considered Artists and Models a musical, but I guess it is. It’s definitely top ten, and now My Sister Eileen is, too. I also love spotting Richard Deacon in anything because I seriously harbour a theory that he is immortal and currently living under the assumed alias of Stephen Tobolowsky.

KISS ME KATE George Sidney, 1953
No less wooed by this. The inclusionary nature of the show is its greatest strength. “Why Can’t You Behave?” is a stunner. Wynn and Whitmore’s loveable gangsters are actually loveable. “What a pro-feel.”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#114 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 am

I've been preaching the virtues of My Sister Eileen so long on this forum that it does my heart proud to finally see it getting somewhere! Glad you dug both films, and I'm with you: Technically Hollywood or Bust is the better Tashlin Martin and Lewis film, but Artists and Models is the better musical-- both are on my list back to back, though, haha

I am not going to be the hardline asshole on the clip thing, so we can forget it. It does bug me, but not enough for it to be a big deal.

tarpilot

#115 Post by tarpilot » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 am

I should probably re-watch Hollywood or Bust, as it currently sits 7th out of 8 on my Tashlin-Lewis list (right above The Geisha Boy). After re-watching Susan Slept Here, I wish I could make the argument for that as a musical...(you'll never catch me re-watching Bachelor Flat, though, yuk)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#116 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:40 am

I forgot that Rock a Bye Baby is totally a musical too, that needs a rewatch but I remember liking it and its typical Tashlin barbs against TV. Certainly the birdcage number in Susan Slept Here is commentary on the gaudiness of Freed-style musicals (though it seems to predict the outlandish budgetary disasters of Fox musicals to come, really), but yeah, it's not really a musical in whole.

colinr0380

#117 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:43 am

tarpilot wrote:KISS ME KATE George Sidney, 1953
No less wooed by this. The inclusionary nature of the show is its greatest strength. “Why Can’t You Behave?” is a stunner. Wynn and Whitmore’s loveable gangsters are actually loveable. “What a pro-feel.”
That's the 3D adaptation of Taming of the Shrew isn't it, with lots of objects/dance partners being playfully and/or angrily thrown at the camera?

LQ

#118 Post by LQ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:44 am

Speaking of Tashlin....would The Girl Can't Help It pass as a musical too, or is it excluded under the "filmed performances are not musicals" edict?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#119 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:45 am

LQ wrote:Speaking of Tashlin....would The Girl Can't Help It pass as a musical too, or is it excluded under the "filmed performances are not musicals" edict?
Seems like a musical to me. The filmed performances rule is like, a filmed concert or stage show or opera, not intermittent musical performances interspersed within the narrative.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#120 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 am

colinr0380 wrote:
tarpilot wrote:KISS ME KATE George Sidney, 1953
That's the 3D adaptation of Taming of the Shrew isn't it, with lots of objects/dance partners being playfully and/or angrily thrown at the camera?
Of course. I'm way, way more tolerant of Kathryn Grayson than most (I in fact am quite fond of her and suspect I'll be the only one charting something like It Happened in Brooklyn, for instance), but this is almost surely her one film that even her most vocal detractors can agree on.

LQ

#121 Post by LQ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:53 am

domino harvey wrote:
LQ wrote:Speaking of Tashlin....would The Girl Can't Help It pass as a musical too, or is it excluded under the "filmed performances are not musicals" edict?
Seems like a musical to me. The filmed performances rule is like, a filmed concert or stage show or opera, not intermittent musical performances interspersed within the narrative.
Gotcha. I can't wait to explore more Tashlin...and Quine... films for this project. My Sister Eileen is on its way to me now.

tarpilot

#122 Post by tarpilot » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

domino harvey wrote:I forgot that Rock a Bye Baby is totally a musical too, that needs a rewatch but I remember liking it and its typical Tashlin barbs against TV.
I'm mainly with it for "Why Can't He Care For Me" which is pretty much the wonderfullest

knives

#123 Post by knives » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 am

On the topic of Tashlin, I tried ordering the UK set months ago, but it didn't come and now seems OOP. What's the best route to getting those films now?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#124 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am

I picked up an extra sealed copy of the OOP R1 Legendary Jerry collection last summer that I've been sitting on. It doesn't have Rock a Bye Baby or the Geisha Boy (I ended up importing the Australian discs, but there might be cheaper options out there-- they're both essential titles, though) but has all the others in the UK set plus an additional film. I'd sell it to you or someone else on this board who'd give it a good home for its list price (a considerable deal based on what its going for).
Last edited by domino harvey on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#125 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am

It's certainly not a traditional musical, but Roy Andersson's You, the Living feels a lot like a musical to me. There is some, but not a lot, of people actually breaking reality and singing, but really the whole film feels like a funeral dirge backing the drudgery of these people's lives.