A 2010s List for Those That Couldn't Wait

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: A 2010s List for Those That Can't Wait

#351 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Heads up to whoever voted for Beanpole that I will be revising my list to vote for it! I categorize movie release dates slightly differently than IMDb and forgot to account for it in that case...

Also, absolutely stunned that two people voted for Wind River.

Ghersh

#352 Post by Ghersh » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:13 pm

If I counted correctly I have 16 Orphans and three in the "new votes" list.

Most of my orphans I suspected but a few are baffling me. Incendies is an orphan?! Every Villeneuve film got two or more votes (as I predicted...), including the Sleep Runner 249, but not his crown jewel Incendies?

But I'm happy those three new votes benefited from me, especially since I have one in the top five.

Are we allowed to know how many lists have already been submitted?

yoshimori

#353 Post by yoshimori » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:18 pm

My taste seems an outlier. Two-thirds (33/50) of my babies are now orphaned, including four of the top ten, all Asian.

Didn't expect these to be shut out: The Kirishima Thing (see the little "1" next to that title on the previous page? so sad); Black Coal, Thin Ice, In Fabric; Isle of Dogs; Green Fog

Would nudge any fence-sitters to reconsider: Sibyl (Justine Triet); Victoria (Justine Triet)

And a sad goodbye to the dirty little waifs in my top top tier that I suspect no one will be able to adopt: P-047; White Night; Romance Joe; A Dark Dark Man; Lily Lane
Last edited by yoshimori on Fri May 07, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#354 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:22 pm

Ghersh wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:13 pm
Every Villeneuve film got two or more votes

Are we allowed to know how many lists have already been submitted?
22 lists so far, and to reiterate, people who have not participated so far are still welcome to contribute a list, up until the deadline.

Incidentally, if a film doesn't appear in either of the lists I compiled, it is of course also possible that it has received zero votes.
yoshimori wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:18 pm
My taste seems an outlier. Two-thirds (33/50) of my babies are now orphaned, including four of the top ten, all Asian.

And a sad goodbye to the dirty little waifs in my top top tier that I suspect no one will be able to adopt: P-047; White Night; Romance Joe; A Dark Dark Man; Lily Lane
Speaking just for myself, I haven't seen any of those five films, so rather than give up on them, you might consider writing a little about each one to convince people why they should devote some of their limited time to giving them a chance. That's the main reason for this round

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#355 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 pm

Interstellar is a good movie that doesn't deserve to be Orphaned, but Number One? Will that person please step forward?

therewillbeblus

#356 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 pm
Interstellar is a good movie that doesn't deserve to be Orphaned, but Number One? Will that person please step forward?
Was about to post the same thing- mind-boggling. I almost had it on my list, and might consider.

Tommaso

#357 Post by Tommaso » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:05 pm

I'm not surprised about most of my orphans, but nevertheless I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for German's Hard To Be A God and for Green's La sapienza. If I remember correctly, both met with a lot of discussion and welcome here when they were out, and especially the German is visually absolutely incredible (though a difficult to love film).

Whoever it was who voted for Fliegauf's Lily Lane, please keep it on the list! I was undecided between this and Womb and decided for the latter as I didn't want to have two Fliegaufs on my list. I'll change my vote for Lily Lane, which I like basically as much as the other film.

Ghersh

#358 Post by Ghersh » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Wait until you hear about my number one...
swo17 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:22 pm
Ghersh wrote:
Every Villeneuve film got two or more votes
Incidentally, if a film doesn't appear in either of the lists I compiled, it is of course also possible that it has received zero votes.
Sure, but in this case I know they've been voted for by either me or someone else. Except for one, but I just can't imagine that this other film hasn't been voted for at all. So I'm still confident...

senseabove

#359 Post by senseabove » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Meek's Cutoff is my most surprising orphan by a long ways. Surely someone else overlooked that one... I thought I was following one of you on LB who rated it highly, at least.

My other most precious orphan is Mack's The Grand Bizarre, and all I have to say is that if you have any interest in experimental/non-narrative film whatsoever, pleeeease go watch this 60-minute masterpiece on MUBI.

But otherwise, to the fellow Jodie Mack fan who voted for two Mack shorts rather than the two longer Mack films I chose: Image

(Meaning I will sacrifice Dusty Stacks and hope I can convince some folks to consider it for the Musicals list.)

willoneill

#360 Post by willoneill » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:50 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 pm
Yeah that'd be me. Because my 1, 2, 3, and 5 slots were all orphans, I will put some effort into defenses over the next couple of weeks. Starting with Interstellar, of course.

willoneill

#361 Post by willoneill » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:51 pm

Ghersh wrote:
Incendies is an orphan?!
It was in my 50-60 ranking, last batch I cut.

Maltic

#362 Post by Maltic » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:55 pm

I had sort of given up here, but now I count at least a handful of orphans that need rescuing (one being Dusty Stacks of Mom)...

therewillbeblus

#363 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:07 pm

My orphans (with linked defenses, when available):

Assassination Nation (10): The Rebel Without a Cause for Gen Z, and the most intelligent and bold indictment of cancel culture's disease soaking into the milieus of our youth. I know plenty of people here prioritize films about youth, so get on this one!

Colossal (32): A hard film to like I guess, but for my money the best movie about our narcissistic defense mechanisms (whether in addiction, seeking romantic affection, etc.) committed to film- and yet one that's so metaphorically obscure that its wavelength is about as tough to get on as it is to fight a giant Godzilla-aping monster, or to combat internally with that externalization of the self.

List (33): Just lovely bliss, a 20-minute short that everyone should check out, and is evidence for the Hong/Rohmer comparison.

Under the Silver Lake (34): Didn't like it the first time either, but it grows and grows and has become one of the more intelligent films of its kind that I've seen- another subversive effort that alienates us along with an unlikable protagonist who is also alienated and alienating. We are invited into a self-reflexive fantasy, and yet the film never resigns itself to our comfort, exposing said fantasies as de-glamorous and perhaps undeserved.

Nobody's Daughter Haewon (39): I've talked about this one too much. That second drink.. the most affirming and stark look as life's elusive nature and our power and powerlessness to hold onto it.

Unsane (41): I don't care about how ridiculous this is in parts, it's one of the scariest thrillers ever.

The Bling Ring (42): Another grower- Coppola's most challenging film to like because of the judgment the audience brings to a population that Coppola refuses to budge from holding her line of humanistic curiosity towards.

Smashed (43): The best movie about the 'mess' of young adult alcoholism failing to function in the human services field, written by two alcoholics trading war stories from across the country. Pure unfiltered realism.

Saint Maud (46): People here love A24 horror, so I suspect this'll get more love once people see it.

Alps (47): Yorgos Lanthimos' best film, tackling the subject of loss via earnest empathy within a context of artificial reconstruction. Sounds like the movies to me!

A Rainy Day in New York (49): I don't know if this is Woody Allen's most mature film, but it's the film that's most reflective of his late-age maturity and developmentally-delayed self-actualization.

MacGruber (50): Just silly, spectacular fun, that's much smarter in its joke-construction than appearances suggest.

colinr0380

#364 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:16 pm

After making a note to do it over the weekend I completely forgot to submit a list! So I have just PM'd swo with my 50 and hope that is not too late. I made a point to not look at that list of orphans on the previous page before submitting to not get too biased, and may have helped with a couple of orphans on that previous page, though I am also kicking myself that I just did not have room for Tabloid now!

OK, who was the maniac who voted for Dario Argento's Dracula 3D? On a completely unrelated note, I'm deadly serious about my high placement for The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence), whilst also fine in saying that nobody else should feel that they have to see it!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#365 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:31 pm

It's not too late for you to submit a list, and you are welcome to revise it as many times as you like over the next month up until the final deadline

dustybooks

#366 Post by dustybooks » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:34 pm

The first thing to say, looking at the orphan list, is how many brilliant films were released this decade — I kept having to check to remember if I was the one who voted for several of them (twbb’s choice of The Bling Ring being a big one). Lots of ruminating to do.

DarkImbecile

#367 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:39 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:34 pm
The first thing to say, looking at the orphan list, is how many brilliant films were released this decade — I kept having to check to remember if I was the one who voted for several of them
I had to delete a reference to my being the only person to vote for Waves because of course I had to have included it, before remembering it was one of my last cuts

Toland's Mitchell

#368 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:02 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:01 pm
Heads up to whoever voted for Beanpole that I will be revising my list to vote for it! I categorize movie release dates slightly differently than IMDb and forgot to account for it in that case...

Also, absolutely stunned that two people voted for Wind River.
Oh wow, I was not expecting Beanpole to be one of my orphans. It explicitly says on page 1 of this thread that Beanpole would be allowed. And I assumed given the appreciation for that film here, that I wouldn't be the only one to list it. But I'm happy to send it some love. Hope it makes a second half comeback!

As for Wind River, well, I must confess I'm one of the two voters. I put it at #49. During Round 1 of these projects, when I get to around #35-40ish on my lists, there are a few dozen films I want to put in the final remaining slots but obviously can't, so I test the waters by going with offbeat choices towards the bottom just to see if they'll be orphaned. Wind River was one of those. I haven't seen the film in years, but I recall it being a well-crafted thriller, while providing insight on how mistreatment of Native Americans continues in current times. I also recall Gil Birmingham giving a great performance.
Last edited by Toland's Mitchell on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile

#369 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:05 pm

It’s not a bad movie, to be clear, just also not the type I’d expect to garner multiple votes, particularly in a decade as stacked as this one

Toland's Mitchell

#370 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:26 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:16 pm
After making a note to do it over the weekend I completely forgot to submit a list! So I have just PM'd swo with my 50 and hope that is not too late. I made a point to not look at that list of orphans on the previous page before submitting to not get too biased, and may have helped with a couple of orphans on that previous page, though I am also kicking myself that I just did not have room for Tabloid now!
Tabloid! The other choice of mine (in addition to Wind River) that appears on The New Votes section. Speaking of documentaries, I can't help but notice all of my documentary choices were orphaned (except Tabloid). I'm not surprised. It's very difficult for a non-fiction film to achieve such high consensus acclaim.

therewillbeblus

#371 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:41 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:05 pm
It’s not a bad movie, to be clear, just also not the type I’d expect to garner multiple votes, particularly in a decade as stacked as this one
I feel the same about Hacksaw Ridge making that same shortlist. However, I'm on team Irrational Man, which may be the most-maligned of all of them. A hearty thank you to whoever else voted for it (I assume knives is one, but I'm hoping there are more of you silent partners out there) as well as Ema.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#372 Post by Shrew » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:09 pm

My poor orphans:
15. The Knick (Steven Soderbergh, 2014-15) Are people splitting the Knick vote by voting for the individual seasons? Did none of the people who praised this in its thread vote here? Did you all (like myself initially) agonize about voting for seasons of TV on this film list? Whatever the case, this is "retired" Soderbergh unleashing absolutely electric filmmaking.
20. The Immigrant (James Gray, 2013) This is another shocker to me. It does feel like a lot of films from the first half of the decade may have faded into memory or been superseded by newer entries in their director's canon. But this is my favorite Gray of the decade. There's a lot I love here: Phoenix's self-loathing pimp, Renner's entrancing magic act, that final shot.
21. We Need to Talk About Kevin (Lynne Ramsay, 2011) See above (I'm guessing You Were Never Really Here, also on my list, siphoned support away here). This one I had ignored upon release given middling reviews, so I only caught up with it for this project. I was also hesitant about watching this film about a demon child because my wife was pregnant, but I think that weirdly helped me connect more with it more. I'm pretty hopeful that my daughter is so far NOT on the path to mass murder, but this captures some of the strangeness/wonder/horror at becoming parent to a completely new person, someone connected to you but also a mystery. Also, I appreciate John C. Reilly serving as a good guide of what not to do as a parent/partner.
24. Le Havre (Aki Kaurismäki, 2011) Another I didn't catch up with until this project
31. Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbergh, 2017). Just pure fun Soderbergh heist.
38. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Christopher McQuarrie, 2018) The best blockbuster/action film of the decade.
41. Over the Garden Wall (Nate Cash, 2014) So this is more of a left-field pick, but it's a Cartoon Network miniseries of 10 minute episodes that totals less than 2 hours in running time. Basically a picaresque Twin Peaks for kids, but obsessed with 1910-20s Americana instead of the 1950s.
46. The Angels' Share (Ken Loach, 2012) Sure it's a Scottish film that cues up The Proclaimers' most famous song not just once but twice. But hey, it's also a great laid-back heist movie with a fun comic ensemble, all while functioning as a metaphor for how global capitalism exploits regional culture and alienates people from their native heritage.
49. Hill of Freedom (Hong Sang-soo, 2014) Seemingly slight Hong that (like many of his films) improves upon rewatch. As a former ESL teacher, I'm particularly fond of this for its great awkward ESL acting (and for accurately capturing some of the nice but weird Americans who teach ESL in Asia). The mixed up chronology is fun, but it didn't occur to me how much it obscures the fact that this is at heart another of Rohmer's Moral Tales about a guy trying to figure out which of two women to pursue and the fallout of that, which makes the ending quietly devastating.

Also, these films were hovering around the bottom of my list (except Hanna, which I just plum forgot about), and I may put them back in after some revisits, so don't lose hope whoever voted for them.
Colossal (Nacho Vigalondo, 2016)
The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl (Masaaki Yuasa, 2017) 32
Leviathan (Lucien Castaing-Taylor & Véréna Paravel, 2012) 15
Meek's Cutoff (Kelly Reichardt, 2011) 2 (I left this off because I assumed it would do fine without me. whoops)
Hanna (Joe Wright, 2011) 38
Anna Karenina (Joe Wright, 2012) 9
Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sang-soo, 2015) 19

therewillbeblus

#373 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Shrew wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:09 pm
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Christopher McQuarrie, 2015) The best blockbuster/action film of the decade.
Fixed

(I thought we placed these at the exact same number but mine was 36)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#374 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Shrew wrote:
15. The Knick (Steven Soderbergh, 2014-15) Are people splitting the Knick vote by voting for the individual seasons? Did none of the people who praised this in its thread vote here? Did you all (like myself initially) agonize about voting for seasons of TV on this film list? Whatever the case, this is "retired" Soderbergh unleashing absolutely electric filmmaking.
Yours was the only vote of any kind for The Knick

Ghersh

#375 Post by Ghersh » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:39 pm

Shrew wrote:
I may put them back in after some revisits, so don't lose hope whoever voted for them.

Hanna (Joe Wright, 2011) 38
Thank you kind Sir. \:D/

To the Mission: Impossible fans: I like all the three M:I films of the decade (and all of them more than the first three) and they were on my mind. I think Rogue Nation is the 'weakest' of those three and Fallout was one of the greatest adrenaline rushes I ever had at the cinema, but I left it off mainly because I was still rather leaning towards Ghost Protocol, which I haven't rewatched yet.