VOTE OR DIE: the Criterion Forum Dot Org Goes Hollywood

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

VOTE OR DIE: the Criterion Forum Dot Org Goes Hollywood

#1 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:30 pm

As per our earlier discussion here, I am proposing a Mini List based on a star rather than genre, decade, or auteur. I have consolidated the best suggestions from the thread into fifteen options and posted them as a survey here. Metrics for inclusion were at least three decades of film work, some variance in on-screen projects, and likelihood of discussion. I tried to spread a little representation around apart from the usual suspects of white males, but, ya know, Hollywood gonna Hollywood. You may vote for as many stars as you like in your ballot, but you can only cast a ballot once. I do ask for your username in the survey to prevent multiple votes, but no one but me will ever see it, and I don't look at individual ballots anyways so the fact that you only voted for Tyler Perry is safe with me, swo17!

The winner of this list will be slotted in after the Sci-Fi List. I will not even bother to rearrange the calendar until we verify this and the Sci-Fi list even end up qualifying for tallying. There is a better than great chance that if this list fails too, I'm just out, and no moderator wants to do these in my stead either. So, you know, consider participating!

tldr: VOTE HERE

Feel free to use this thread to argue for your votes/picks to encourage others to vote for 'em too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: VOTE OR DIE: the Criterion Forum Dot Org Goes Hollywood

#2 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm

So I've never registered Philip Ahn before but have obviously seen a lot of his films. That kind of a list seems potentially the most interesting though for related reasons it may not attract a lot of participation

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 pm

No one suggested it, but that's one I threw in because I find Ahn's career fascinating. There's a great biopic in there somewhere!

senseabove

#4 Post by senseabove » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm

I was surprised I've only seen one Ahn! Unfortunately having enough of a list at a glance to be confident I could find enough to fill it out a complete list of films I like is a prereq for list participation for me, so it's hard to vote for Ahn...

Also I feel like I am being held hostage by that damn Sci-Fi list. I just do not think I can find 50 sci-fi movies that rank higher than "well I guess it's interesting...," but it may be standing between me and getting to do this list and musicals, which I'm very interested in.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Technically speaking if the Sci-Fi list dies and whatever wins this thrives, we still go forth, though perhaps a bit trepidatiously

knives

#6 Post by knives » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 pm
No one suggested it, but that's one I threw in because I find Ahn's career fascinating. There's a great biopic in there somewhere!
I was literally about to say “who?” In retrospect someone I’ve never heard of might be fun.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#7 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:42 pm

You mean I would have to watch "over 180 television and film credits" in time for a mini-list?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm

Very healthy response so far! Four of the options are far, far ahead of the others (all primarily studio-era stars). If anyone has a change of heart and wants me to consider an additional vote they didn't put on their ballot, you can PM me in lieu of taking the survey again. Let's keep it up through the week and then we'll see where we're at. In the event of a tie, it'll be dealer's choice. If more than two stars are tied, I'll do a random number generator to decide.

therewillbeblus

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:47 am

senseabove wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm
Also I feel like I am being held hostage by that damn Sci-Fi list. I just do not think I can find 50 sci-fi movies that rank higher than "well I guess it's interesting...," but it may be standing between me and getting to do this list and musicals, which I'm very interested in.
I thought where we left things was that if the Sci-Fi list gets 25 votes, even if none of the mini-lists work out, we're still doing the Musicals Redux list? So if that's still the case, it's less of a road to travel..

I found myself voting for three classic movie stars rather than more unique choices, because a) it'll hopefully gather wider participation, and b) they're interesting in their own right. Personally I love the ways in which James Stewart's innocent everyman presence was manipulated during the 50s, Grant's was for Suspicion, and Widmark is Widmark.

Matt

#10 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Point of order: would we be ranking films based on the quality of the chosen actor’s performance or the overall film? Or would that just sort of be up to individual voters to decide for themselves?

NEVER MIND: I just read the original discussion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:20 pm

It's looking more and more like a two star show as we make our way down the pike. Both would be interesting and I think whichever one succeeds, it'll be a no-brainer to do another with the other, as they both had a different approach: One was always the same on screen, the other is popularly perceived in one way but consciously eked out roles to the contrary as they went on. But lots could change in the next couple days (though based on the sheer volume of responses, there may not be anyone still left to vote!)

therewillbeblus

#12 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:25 pm

SpoilerShow
Cary Grant / James Stewart?

senseabove

#13 Post by senseabove » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:19 am

That first clue sounds more to me like Davis. Your guess had a rough start and even in mature form had a comedy side and a suave side that isn't always the same "persona" in the way that, say, Queen Elizabeth and Mildred Rogers and Mrs. Skeffington are. I could see that clue maybe fitting Mitchum, too...

Your other guess seems undoubtable, though.

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 am

I agree re: the first guess, but my wishful thinking was that he still revolves around a familiar persona even with all that variation, though I guess that's certainly not the "same" each time. I change my answer to Mitchum.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:51 pm

I think my clue could fit any of those guesses depending on how you look at it, so I hope that helps! Let's keep this open through tomorrow noon, when I'll announce the winner. Nothing else important is happening tomorrow at noon, is it?