Auteur List: Otto Preminger

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
knives

Re: Auteur List: Otto Preminger

#176 Post by knives » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:22 pm

If you were, so rightly, moved by the Human Factor than for sure you’ll love Rosebud which functions on a lot of the same wavelengths.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#177 Post by Shrew » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 pm

Yeah, I tried to get Rosebud out of my library system, but it seems like the only copy was at one of the branches that *shudder* makes you pay to take out movies, and thus was not available through the loan system. Now it'll have to wait till the 70s project rolls around.

knives

#178 Post by knives » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:41 pm

That’s the worst.

hearthesilence

#179 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:29 am

I didn't see enough to do this, but based on the seven I have, Preminger continues to amaze me for his highly-controlled mise-en-scène within a moving camera, especially in the widescreen format. Bonjour Tristesse is perhaps the best example of this, where the camera seems to float gracefully and elegantly, and even River of No Return has a remarkably effortless but fluid change in composition during its great climax.

FWIW, the seven I've seen would be Laura, Angel Face, River of No Return, The Man with the Golden Arm, Bonjour Tristesse, Bunny Lake Is Missing, and my favorite of them all, Anatomy of a Murder - all great films in my book.

senseabove

#180 Post by senseabove » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:04 pm

If you're in Portland, you might want to clear your Friday afternoon.