World of Tomorrow Series (Don Hertzfeldt, 2015-)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
therewillbeblus

Re: Don Hertzfeldt

#51 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:52 am

Per the latest update, Hertzfeldt is thinking about animating "something new" as a supplement on the World of Tomorrow blu-ray

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#52 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:38 pm

Great news for all Kickstarter contributors!
i now just need to fine-tune this one last thing for the blu-ray and we'll be ready to go. everything else, the menus, booklet, packaging, have been finished and waiting to be delivered to the factory. the movies themselves we've decided to leave off the disc. did i mention that? it's going to be a disc that just plays menus. sorry it's been taking so long but these are just some really intense menus. the arrows go all over the place and then they select nothingness.

zedz

#53 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:38 pm
Great news for all Kickstarter contributors!
i now just need to fine-tune this one last thing for the blu-ray and we'll be ready to go. everything else, the menus, booklet, packaging, have been finished and waiting to be delivered to the factory. the movies themselves we've decided to leave off the disc. did i mention that? it's going to be a disc that just plays menus. sorry it's been taking so long but these are just some really intense menus. the arrows go all over the place and then they select nothingness.
It could be worse, it could be the menus on the Jam DVD, where you could select from a bunch of unappetizing viewing options (e.g. 'forced viewing mode") that locked up your machine if you were silly enough to select them.

Kind of makes me nostalgic for the time when people were making menus as whimsical and non-functional as they could, like that edition of Memento where you had to undergo psychological tests in order to access various features.

therewillbeblus

#54 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm

My favorite is still the 10th anniversary Fight Club menu, which apes a very different '99 Fox title's menu for what feels like forever before dissolving into its own.. but there's no way to bypass it, and the menu stalls just long enough to fool even skeptics into thinking it's a bootleg or misprinted disc

PfR73

#55 Post by PfR73 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm
My favorite is still the 10th anniversary Fight Club menu, which apes a very different '99 Fox title's menu for what feels like forever before dissolving into its own.. but there's no way to bypass it, and the menu stalls just long enough to fool even skeptics into thinking it's a bootleg or misprinted disc
Bizarrely, the music used for the alternate menu showed up not too much later in the trailer for Birdemic.

therewillbeblus

#56 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm
Bizarrely, the music used for the alternate menu showed up not too much later in the trailer for Birdemic.
Haha watching that trailer and paying attention to the music cues just adds another layer to the movie's awfulness- not even the promo retains a shred of editing strengths.. what a jarring transformation from beginning to end

therewillbeblus

#57 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Hertzfeldt's latest email says there are more delays due to him testing the blu-ray and covid impacting factory production and to expect the blu-ray later in the Fall, but he's also started animating "something new"!

therewillbeblus

#58 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:03 pm

Hertzfeldt's latest email says blu-rays will start shipping next week (and a heavy-hearted condolence to zedz...):
hello we paid the delivery man a little something extra in order to start shipping the blu-rays + all remaining rewards to you this weekend ‍😱 please note the following:

- everything will ship in random order 😱 if you live in the USA please allow about 2-3 weeks for delivery, starting next week. addresses outside of north america will need more time to arrive as the world is moving very slow

- the surveys (where you can still enter or edit your address) will be closed and locked forever tomorrow, wednesday the 17th 😱

- there's a new animated special feature on the blu-ray called "on memory" 🧠😱

- many of you will receive free gifts or random surprises in your package. i'm sorry but again, i have your address now and there's nothing you can do about it 😱 incidentally i have a number of old books to give away does anyone want a book

- since october 1st, COVID-19 import restrictions have prohibited us from shipping any packages to australia or new zealand. very sorry about this, if you're living down under we'll continue to hang on to your rewards for you as we monitor the situation 🐨😱

❤️❤️❤️

don

Finch

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#59 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:05 pm

World of Tomorrow Blu-Rays shipping next week with an expected delivery time of 2-3 weeks for US-based customers and longer for everyone else, as per Don's latest kickstarter update to backers.

knives

#60 Post by knives » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:48 pm

I do want a book.

Thornycroft

#61 Post by Thornycroft » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:34 pm

The reference to "import restrictions" re: Australia and New Zealand is somewhat confusing - there are certainly no new import restrictions in place in NZ - though at the beginning of October USPS announced they were suspending deliveries to Aus and NZ (along with 20 other countries) which is what I suspect the kickstarter email is referring to.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#62 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:58 pm

If it's physically possible, zedz, I can send you a copy

Adam X

#63 Post by Adam X » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 am

Yeah, it's definitely the USPS delivery suspension that's being referred to. Anything I've bought from the US since has been shipped fine (to Australia) via other companies. I guess they're sticking with what they know, and I look forward to receiving my copy at the end of the pandemic.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#64 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:25 am

Last time I checked, I could ship internationally via FedEx or UPS, but they charged like twice as much as USPS

Aunt Peg

#65 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:57 am

Adam X wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 am
Yeah, it's definitely the USPS delivery suspension that's being referred to. Anything I've bought from the US since has been shipped fine (to Australia) via other companies. I guess they're sticking with what they know, and I look forward to receiving my copy at the end of the pandemic.
I have a number of purchases waiting in warehouses in the US for USPS to start shipping to Australia. One seller was kind enough to offer to send it via another carrier which cost more. I sent him the additional money and got my much wanted DVD soon after.

I have a number of things I have purchased on eBay that are taking longer than I can recall but I suspect USPS will probably be able to return to normal services to Australia and New Zealand some time early next year and that really isn't that long to wait. Tough times lead to more patience from me.

Adam X

#66 Post by Adam X » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:17 am

Just in case it needs to be said, that last sentence was not written with any seriousness. It is what it is.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#67 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:18 pm

therewillbeblus

#68 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:03 am

On Memory, the new short included on the blu-ray, is excellent. It’s a commentary of sorts, reminiscent of The Midnight Gospel’s philosophical musings drenched in emotion, pertaining to the elusive nature of our cognitive powers to make sense of the overwhelming enigmatic experience of life through time (our greatest and most formidable opponent to achieving a stable delusion of being). It’s also pretty funny. Definitely a welcome feature that’s completely in step with the themes of the World of Tomorrow films

knives

#69 Post by knives » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:13 am

And both examples go back to John and Faith Hubley’s later works. Any fan of Ward or these most recent Hertzfeldt’s is doing a disservice not checking them out.

therewillbeblus

#70 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:19 pm

knives wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:13 am
And both examples go back to John and Faith Hubley’s later works. Any fan of Ward or these most recent Hertzfeldt’s is doing a disservice not checking them out.
Thanks knives- are there any specific works you'd recommend, or a certain year to start at where there was more of a shift in style or tone constituting "later works"?

knives

#71 Post by knives » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:14 pm

The Hole and Moonbird are the closest one with World of Tomorrow’s big premise being borrowed from them. His career is basically in three parts: Disney, UPA, and independent. All three are great, but I imagine you’ll like the independent best. That’s also where his family gets in on things doing some incredible work.

You’ve actually already seen a little of his daughter’s work if you’ve seen Hedwig and the Angry Inch. The Dissolve did a great article on them.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#72 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:02 pm

The Hole is awesome and, hey, also a '60s film! The DVD collection it's on, "Art and Jazz in Animation," is pretty worthwhile if you can spare $50+ and are patient enough to wait for an eBay alert. Moonbird would also be my second recommendation. You've seen his Disney stuff in that he was a background animator for their first five classic features (the ones you can probably recite from memory). Also, he co-created Mr. Magoo!

therewillbeblus

#73 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:30 pm

Went through a bunch of their shorts this evening- didn't like Moonbird or most of what I watched, but liked The Hole, thought The Tender Game was cute, and People, People, People was bitter fun! I didn't see as much as a connective tissue between the films you cited, but their first independent film, Adventures of an *, felt right in step with the Hertzfeldt, enough to make me think it was a key inspiration

knives

#74 Post by knives » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:54 pm

You might in that case want to check out their feature, Of Stars and Men, which has some similarities to Adventures of an *.

therewillbeblus

#75 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:03 pm

I have that one cued up for when I have more time- but I was most interested in their longer, late-career film Everybody Rides the Carousel, which depicts Erikson's stages of development with voice actors like Meryl Streep