Lukas Moodysson

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Kristoffer4

#26 Post by Kristoffer4 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:17 am

Just got a mail from beaver saying they will try to do a review. =D>

Lino

#27 Post by Lino » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:25 pm

One fourth of the UK boxset review is up:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57315

Kristoffer4

#28 Post by Kristoffer4 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:41 am

One more;
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=2&c=1342
Since Show me love/fu***Åmål isn't 16:9, I think I will just wait till I can get Lilja 4 ever cheap, because the other films doesn't really appeal to me that much. Sure together is very funny, but still.
A hole in my heart sounds like a film I will never be able to watch. I mean splicing genetalia and surgery in pictures, no thanks.

Lino

#29 Post by Lino » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:20 am

I'm personally waiting for Gary's review of the set with comparisons with other editions. But I must say that this is a great box regardless of its shortcomings.

colinr0380

#30 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:34 am

Did anyone else think that press release was written by a grumpy person on an off day? I think most people are aware of the business problems and the fact that Show Me Love was not going to be the next Incredibles in terms of sales, but "frankly" was it really necessary for the patronising tone of the release? It seems a lot like sour grapes to me.

Especially when it seems understandable that buyers would be concerned about the quality of Show Me Love when it is only being released in a box set with reissues of other already individually available releases. I think it is more understandable that people would be more concerned than normal about Show Me Love if they were even going to consider double-dipping.

Metrodome seem to be becoming notorious for devaluing the quality of their box sets. They have gone in completely the opposite direction (from releasing individual films and then the boxset) with the Nick Broomfield boxset. The boxset itself is really good, with some interesting modern day interviews an interesting retrospective documentary and a couple of commentaries, but at the same time there are obvious business decisions that insult the potential purchaser, such as the decision to only include the 47 minutes or so of extra material on the Fetishes DVD that is separately released, with a bare bones version of the film in the boxset. It seems to me a very cynical move in trying to make sure that people who want to see everything have to buy the single release as well.

I can understand that it is a relatively well known and notorious film, and worth including in a Broomfield retorospective, but the presence of Fetishes seems stupid when the individual release is available with more extras! Surely another Broomfield film (like Too White For Me, which would be a good companion to The Leader, His Driver and The Driver's Wife) would be more worthy of inclusion, as there must be many Broomfield films that it would not be economically viable to release separately?

If I was being cyncial I might think that Fetishes was included simply to bump up the BBFC rating to an 18, as it is the only 18 rated film in the set.

But it is a horrible situation for a purchaser to be in, as the boxset is worthwhile at the same time as being horribly manipulative in the way it has been produced. I bought it, but felt a horrible mixture of happiness and being ripped off while doing so. I'm afraid I'm drawing the line at the Moodyson box - I might try getting the VHS of Show Me Love instead!

It is obvious that they need to make money from limited potential releases but they should do that by trying to make it easy for the purchaser to choose between single or boxset releases and by stressing the quality of their releases.

If they cared then it might be good to have a press statement that was not so combative and that was not so confusing about correct ratios etc. I'm afraid I'm putting them in the same category as Tartan for their reaction to the Chinese Odyssey disc (see Tartan Video thread).

It certainly makes me glad and very respectful of the major companies like Masters of Cinema or Criterion that allow a form of dialogue with the public, let us annoy them with requests and questions about their releases and seem to take a pride in being able to release the films themselves, rather than only being interested in the films for how much money they can milk out of them (although I completely sympathise with how difficult that balance must be to achieve). It is a small, but extremely significant, philosophical difference (or a brilliant marketing move! :wink:).
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Napoleon

#31 Post by Napoleon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:08 am

N. Wilson wrote:RE: Show Me Love/Fucking Amal

If people want to hold off a purchase I should be able to post my findings on the state of the transfer within 7 days (its at the top of my rental list).
It might be a bit longer than 7 days as they've sent me something else instead. Looks like the dvd times review (and user comments) tell all that is needed anyhow.

Lino

#32 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:29 am

Great review of Lilya 4-Ever up at DVDtimes:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57520

Lino

#33 Post by Lino » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:10 am

A Hole in my Heart review is up at DVDtimes:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57679

Napoleon

#34 Post by Napoleon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:24 am

Annie Mall wrote:Great review of Lilya 4-Ever up at DVDtimes:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57520
Best go right to the bottom of that review and pick up on MikeSuttons cinema review (or just click here).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: A Hole in My Heart: Lukas Moodysson on DVD

#35 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Memfis Films re-released Fucking Åmål last month in a new anamorphic transfer. The Swedish disc contains (very good) English subtitles and ports over Moodysson's commentary (in Swedish, no subs). I just got mine in today and the picture quality is probably as good as I could ever hope to see the film look:

Matt

#36 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Looks great (love that grain). Where did you buy it?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:55 pm

The guy who runs Show Me Love Dot Org also operates a small Swedish/Nordic/Danish DVD distro (in addition to stocking just about every Moodysson-related item ever produced). I ordered it right from his website.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Lukas Moodysson

#39 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Moodysson just posted one of the weirder promotional items on his Tumblr
Lukas Moodysson wrote:(no, it was never sold, i think it was the dvd distributor who handed it out as gifts to - i don’t know…)

(and no, i don’t know what it tastes like, i only have this can and i plan to drink it when i am dead)

bad future

#40 Post by bad future » Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 pm

Spotted on the blu-ray.com forums, Fucking Åmål, Together, Lilja 4-ever and We Are the Best! are getting blu-ray releases in Sweden soon, AFAIK for the first time for all but the last one. It looks like they don’t all include English subs, but I do wonder if this might support the possibility that the “LM BOX SET” on Arrow’s big list of clues could be these films.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#41 Post by swo17 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:05 pm

It looks like only Lilja 4-ever will have English subs

knives

#42 Post by knives » Mon May 03, 2021 8:22 pm

Fucking Sweden.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 pm

We Are the Best! already has a US Blu-ray release, at least, so that’s two down, one Fucking Åmål to go

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#44 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:08 am

Together 99, Moodysson's most recent film and a sequel to his 2000 film Together, is now on backchannels with English subs! It's a good movie, though you definitely have to have seen the first one for it to make much sense