Lukas Moodysson

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Lukas Moodysson

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:40 pm

LUKAS MOODYSSON (1969 - Present)

I think children and teenagers are sometimes very vulnerable. They are certainly very defenceless. This means that what happens in the world leaves scars on them in more evident ways than on grownups. Grownups have a greater ability to defend themselves. There is also something that makes me interested in exploring what happens when you are a child and I am not sure exactly why.

FEATURES
Show Me Love Fucking Åmål / Show Me Love (1998) R1 Strand / R2 Memfis Swedish (Anamorphic)
Tillsammans / Together (2000) R1 MGM (OOP) / R2 Metrodome
Lilja 4-ever / Lilya 4-ever (2002) R1 Netflix exclusive (No commercial release) / R2 Metrodome
Terrorister - en film om dom dömda / Terrorists: The Kids They Sentenced (2003)
Ett hål i mitt hjärta / A Hole in My Heart (2004) R2 Metrodome
Container (2006) R2
Mammoth (2009) R1 IFC
We Are the Best! (2013) R1/A Magnolia (Forthcoming)

BOARD DISCUSSIONS
Container
Mammoth
We Are the Best!

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:53 pm

Poncho Punch wrote:
Matt wrote:I'm almost positive that no one cares but me, but Sandrew Metronome Sweden will be releasing Lukas Moodysson's newest film (original title Ett hål i mitt hjärta) on March 16, 2005. While the film is in Swedish, the disc will likely have English subs (as well as Danish, Finnish, and Norwegian subs). Labial reconstruction surgery footage, here I come!
Have you seen it yet, matt? It's really something else. My first Moodysson, so I don't know how it compares to his other films (or whether I will ever have the desire to watch them), but it was a very unique filmgoing experience for me.

Are there no supplements, or has only the release date been announced so far?
Haven't seen it. It was picked up for distribution by Newmarket, but it's not exactly the kind of film they book here in the South. As far as I can tell, it's way, way beyond anything else he's done in terms of content. I recommend a viewing of anything else he's done without hesitation.

Lilja 4-Ever was my top movie last year, even though I remember some folks on the board hating it. It's certainly tough viewing emotionally, but it's not graphic (in terms of sex or violence) in the least. Together (which is available on a cheap R1 MGM disc now) was practically cuddly (it being full of Abba songs and all).

ben d banana

#3 Post by ben d banana » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:05 pm

pretty much nothing like his earlier films (which i highly recommend). this one makes lilya 4-ever, which a friend described as gut churning, seem like a walk in the park, or at least a jumping off point. moodysson's usage of some rather glacial electro/glitch/whatever (it's not exactly my scene) sets the difference in tone from together's abba and lilya's rammstein (and it was pretty much teeny bopper music in show me love, right?).

together remains my favorite, a truly spot-on coming of age (be that teen, 20's or 30's) movie, which steps it up a bit from show me love (which actually airs on showcase up here every so often, was on a few weeks ago). sadly lilya is only available on import dvd, but i heartily recommend it as well. i guess to paraphrase homer simpson,"it's bleak cuz it's true." moodysson definitely ranks as one of my favorite contemporary directors.
Labial reconstruction surgery footage, here I come!
indeed. thanks for the tip matt.

Michael

#4 Post by Michael » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:12 pm

matt wrote:
Lilja 4-Ever was my top movie last year,

I had a problem with the boy appearing a few times - with the white wings. It felt so out of place.. didn't sit well with me. Other than that...an excellent film.

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:21 pm

ben d banana wrote: together remains my favorite, a truly spot-on coming of age (be that teen, 20's or 30's) movie, which steps it up a bit from show me love
Moodysson's definitely one of the most interesting young directors, and this thread has reminded me what an impressive range he's already demonstrated, but can we drop the coy, cowardly American title Show Me Love and call Fucking Amal Fucking Amal?

Matt

#6 Post by Matt » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:38 pm

It was the Brits who changed the title first, we just went with what they picked.

Grimfarrow

#7 Post by Grimfarrow » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:30 am

Shock for shock's sake doesn't make an interesting film, unfortunately. And I found it much less provocative than Moodysson seems to be pushing. I had a glimpse of hope for the film when the father/son thread seemed to go somewhere, but alas it was not to be. Out of his 4 films, this is by far the worst (not including that tedious short he did, Bara prata lite).

ben d banana

#8 Post by ben d banana » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:42 pm

Grimfarrow wrote:Shock for shock's sake doesn't make an interesting film, unfortunately.
i hardly think that was the point.
Grimfarrow wrote:Out of his 4 films, this is by far the worst (not including that tedious short he did, Bara prata lite).
well, it was certainly his least pleasant/enjoyable.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#9 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:34 pm

[quote]It was the Brits who changed the title first, we just went with what they picked.

Shame you didn't follow suit with The Madness of King George III.
According to Alan Bennett US distributors changed it to just King George as they were worried that people wouldn't go if they hadn't seen I and II.

Still,nice to see the US deferring to Uk cultural hegemony now and again

The Invunche

#10 Post by The Invunche » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:54 pm

That's an old joke. I heard it the first time in connection with Branagh's Henry V and I wouldn't be surprised if it was older.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#11 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:58 pm

The Invunche wrote:That's an old joke. I heard it the first time in connection with Branagh's Henry V and I wouldn't be surprised if it was older.
Well old joke or not it was from Alan Bennett's (The playwright/screenwriter) own writings on the matter.

So why else did they change the title?????

franco

#12 Post by franco » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:03 pm

The UK release is scheduled on May 16th!

From DVD Times:
Metrodome have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of A Hole In My Heart for 16th May 2005 priced at £19.99. Reflecting on society's obsession with celebrity and the popularity of reality TV culture, Lukas Moodysson's film courageously and uncompromisingly explores the moral boundaries of what is and is not acceptable and how far people are willing to go in the quest to find some meaning in their lives.

Features include:

* Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo and 5.1 Surround
* English subtitles
* "A Hole In My Second Heart" – making of featurette
* Lukas Moodysson Masterclass
* Director's Statement
* Trailer

pianocrash

#13 Post by pianocrash » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:19 pm

There is also a box set of his films (hopefully all of them?) being released on the same day, here.

Lino

#14 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:57 pm

The cover for the set looks good:

And the price is right. Let's hope that the transfers fare equally decent. That would make it a sure buy from me.

Lino

#15 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Here are the extras straight from the Metrodome homepage:
SHOW ME LOVE
Lukas Moodysson's first short short film 'Talk'
Trailer

TOGETHER
Trailer
Filmography
Text interview

LILYA 4-EVER
Guardian Interview with Lukas Moodysson
Lukas Moodysson trailer reel
UNICEF film 'More Precious Than Gold'
Amnesty International appeal promotional video

A HOLE IN MY HEART
Making of
Lukas Moodysson Masterclass
Trailer
Don't forget - out on Monday, May 16th.

Lino

#16 Post by Lino » Sun May 01, 2005 1:42 pm

Important news regarding Metrodome's release of Show me Love - read on:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0 ... &n=1&burl=
We recently received a communication from Metrodome regarding their forthcoming release of the 4 Films by Lukas Moodysson boxed set. It appears that some fans of Show Me Love are less than enthusiastic about the film's proposed 4:3 transfer. Here is Metrodome's official line on the subject:

We have received quite a few missives from disgruntled DVD buyers about the May release of Lukas Moodysson's 4 Disc Box Set and would like to address the concerns and displeasure from the most honest viewpoint, free from conjecture and "back seat" DVD production that unfortunately fans the flames of discontent rather unfairly.

While the sentiments of those who have emailed us are understandable, it is an all too familiar chorus from consumers who, quite frankly, are not at all familiar with the processes of independent distribution - an arena which is sadly not as blessed with the unlimited ancillary funds of a major studio. I fully expect this reply may "not be good enough" for many who wrote in and while I apologise and echo their disappointment as a consumer that the "definitive" release of "Show Me Love" is not on the horizon, I also am all too aware of the logistical reasons that are not always obvious to the average consumers, reasons that impact greatly on these niche releases.

Quite simply, Memfis do not have a widescreen video master available. The digi beta was originally created for the VHS release by Momentum in 2001. Unfortunately, due to "Show Me Love"'s status as a smaller arthouse release, it was not cost effective to pay a substantial amount upfront to convert this in a 16x9 transfer and lose picture information which would have done a disservice to the film, or - always the most desirable - create a band new widescreen transfer via telecine from the original negative.

We understand that completists are expecting the best possible releases of their desired product, but the reality is, that the business side of the equation takes precedent. It is a business after all. We were aware that many fans would not take kindly to this but we wanted the box set to come out in conjunction with the release of 'A Hole In My Heart' and we simply couldn't wait for the possibility that this may happen at some point, someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. As an independent distributor we can only work with what we've been supplied. This may be undertaken in the future by Memfis themselves, but we wanted to make a true retrospective of Moodysson's work available that included his newest and his first pictures together for the first time.

We are often at the behest of the original production company or sales agent with regards to these kinds of releases, in this case, Memfis Films in Sweden who have generously supplied and sub-licensed us with a film to create a definitive retrospective of an important European talent, which is in a 4:3 Letterboxed transfer identical in ratio to the video release of 2001. It is not panned and scanned. In addition, as opposed to the current Region 1 edition, we have not used burnt in subtitles and have them as player generated. Memfis and Lukas Moodysson themselves are quite happy that we will have the best possible version of the film, from the materials supplied to us, available for the UK market.

For a UK market that is substantially smaller than the market for, say, Criterion or other major independents, the cost effectiveness must unfortunately be taken into account lest we lose money on "wish list" releases and risk not being able to release anything at all in the future. With the continued support and understanding of the DVD community, we will be able to prove that the vibrant sales of such perceived niche product are worth the initial investments by the companies involved.
I have to say that this won't stop me from buying it.

peerpee
not perpee

#17 Post by peerpee » Sun May 01, 2005 7:27 pm

I don't understand. [I don't know the original AR, but...] are they releasing an unmatted 1.33:1 transfer (if so, great!) -- or are they releasing a 4:3 non-anamorphic widescreen transfer?

I don't understand this line:
it was not cost effective to pay a substantial amount upfront to convert this in a 16x9 transfer and lose picture information which would have done a disservice to the film
btw. Am I right in saying that BBC4 broadcast this film anamorphically last year (for those with digiboxes)? (it looked REALLY grainy though, perhaps Moodysson's intention).

godardslave

#18 Post by godardslave » Sun May 01, 2005 10:45 pm

peerpee wrote:or are they releasing a 4:3 non-anamorphic widescreen transfer?
this option, as i understand it... based on this excerpt:

"Memfis Films in Sweden who have generously supplied and sub-licensed us with a film to create a definitive retrospective of an important European talent, which is in a 4:3 Letterboxed transfer identical in ratio to the video release of 2001"

peerpee
not perpee

#19 Post by peerpee » Sun May 01, 2005 10:52 pm

But the line you quote is confused (in my mind) with this line:
it was not cost effective to pay a substantial amount upfront to convert this in a 16x9 transfer and lose picture information which would have done a disservice to the film
Not sure what they mean here. Apparently the OAR is 1.85:1 (Super 16 blowup to 35mm). Are they referring here to somehow making an anamorphic disc from the 4:3 Letterbox master they have? Not sure...

godardslave

#20 Post by godardslave » Sun May 01, 2005 11:58 pm

peerpee wrote:But the line you quote is confused (in my mind) with this line:
Not sure what they mean here. Apparently the OAR is 1.85:1 (Super 16 blowup to 35mm). Are they referring here to somehow making an anamorphic disc from the 4:3 Letterbox master they have? Not sure...
yes the "lose picture information" part is confusing, i am not sure quite what they mean by this either.

Lino

#21 Post by Lino » Mon May 02, 2005 3:23 am

I'm sure we'll find out all about it in exactly 2 weeks time. Be patient, boys.

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Mon May 16, 2005 12:57 pm

See how fast two weeks pass? It comes out today.

Lino

#23 Post by Lino » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:37 am

So, has anyone bought it yet? How does it look? Can't find any reviews online .

Napoleon

#24 Post by Napoleon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Show Me Love/Fucking Amal

If people want to hold off a purchase I should be able to post my findings on the state of the transfer within 7 days (its at the top of my rental list).

Kristoffer4

#25 Post by Kristoffer4 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:03 am

Cool I will wait then. Hopefully beaver will have this up as well.